Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window Lift Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgh
I had my driver's window lift fail. I fixed it last year, but the tab that the crank runs up and down keeps coming out of the short channel attached to the bottom of the window. I seem to remember that the last time I fixed this that this tab attached to a plastic piece that held it in the short channel attached to the bottom of the window. I could not find any plastic piece, so I could be remembering this incorrectly. Right now, it is only that little metal tab that is lifting the window and it keeps popping out of the channel.

I hope I was clear enough in my description. It was not clear by looking at the PET as to what the original configuration should be (that's a first). Can someone here help please? I need to first figure out if I am missing a piece and then how to fix my problem. Thanks!
solex
Scott,
Your description is hard to follow, a picture would be very helpful here.

All parts that move along the metal channels should have a plastic roller they keep the arm in the channels and act as bearing.

Some window regulator pictures

I rebuilt my lifts and can say that is was not that easy. The center pivot point popped out of the arm (it is pinched around a collar). I was able to pound it back into shape and then tap and thread the collar and screw a bolt and washer.
Larry.Hubby
It sounds like you have late doors on your 914-6, and if so, there should be a plastic roller snapped onto the ball-stud on the end of the arm that lifts the window. The ball-stud is what you're calling the "little metal tab". The plastic rollers get brittle with age and fall apart. You won't find them listed in PET because they were never available from the dealer as a spare part, you had to replace the whole regulator. Fortunately, Mikey914 makes a reproduction of this part, and you can find it on his website under "miscellaneous parts":

http://shop.914rubber.com/category.sc;jses...06?categoryId=7

The parts you need are called "914 Late window delrin rollers", third item down in the far right column on this page. Once you have the roller, just press it onto the ball stud until it snaps on.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif after just doing this on a late model door, it sounds like you are missing rollers on your scissor mechanism. Also, make sure that plastic block is screwed into the slide at the base of the glass pane. It should take a M8x1.25x25 fastener.
sgh
OK, I understand the difficulty in understanding my description. It is hard to describe. I do not have a late model window lift. It is different that what you guys posted. This is a low mileage six that was restored with all its original parts.

The way the lift mechanism works is that there is a metal guide tube that has a flat vertical tab (about 1/4" square) that moves up and down as you crank the window winder. The guide tube is positioned about in the middle of the window area. The window has a channel that is shaped like a big flat "U" sort of like this as you view its profile (_________). It is about 1" wide and 5" long and attached to the bottom of the window about in the center. The tab fits in this channel and probably snaps into some plastic roller or guide of some sort. The roller/guide moves back and forth slightly as you raise and lower the window.

I thought I found it in the door after it fell out and re-installed it last time. I cannot find it this time though, which is weird as it couldn't have fallen out. Am I correct in assuming there is a small plastic piece that fits to the tab and slides in the channel? If so, is there anyone reproducing that part?

Thanks for the help!
markb
GPR has a baggie with some of these in used condition, or the repro's can be had new. Give Jonathan a call.
sgh
What are "these" that GPR has? The plastic roller pieces? Sorry for my ignorance, but who is GPR and how do I contact Jonathon? Thanks.
CptTripps
QUOTE(Larry Hubby @ Aug 21 2012, 02:38 AM) *

http://shop.914rubber.com/category.sc;jses...06?categoryId=7

The parts you need are called "914 Late window delrin rollers", third item down in the far right column on this page. Once you have the roller, just press it onto the ball stud until it snaps on.

I couldn't remember for the life of me where I saw those. I had them in my cart at one point, and never completed the checkout.

These were exactly what I was looking for.

:: Again...I know I'm digging up an old thread :::
mepstein
Kept happening on mine untill I bent the tab in further to the channel with pliers. Also lube up every friction point with light grease
Mikey914
I found these also work on 944 and I suspect there is other crossover too.
mepstein
He has early doors on an origional 6.

Like I said. Bend in the tab so it can't jump the track, Lube up EVERYTHING. Once this is done you'll be golden. Driver side mech usually needs attention the most.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.