Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Have this sound in my steering, a clunking sound almost like when someone is cracking there knuckles, I have new bushing throughout the system, new turbo tie rod kit, only thing that wasn't messed with the the steering rack. Was wondering if the rack is bad or the u joints in the rack are porked. I does it when turning right and left. I also am getting a bit of high speed wooble in the steering, just had the car aligned, tires were rotated. Just trying to get to the bottom of these things... by high speed wooble I'm talking about 75 to 80 mph when this occurs.
Brad Roberts
Lower ball joints.

Did you do these also ?

B
StratPlayer
Lower ball joints,, hmmmm not sure I will check on this and let you know for sure,, thanks very much for such a quick reply.
Brad Roberts
Its the only thing I could think of quickly that makes noise right before it fails completely.

It "creaks" as you steer the car left and right.

B
StratPlayer
Nope no creaking at all, just the clunking sound when you start to turn the wheel, almost makes me think of a U joint or something like that, otherwise the car handles just fine. Trying to figure out where the hell that noise is coming from.
Brad Roberts
Loose shock collars ??

You would feel a loose U joint in the column. The wheel would turn.. then the tires would turn.

Go out and grab one of the wheels (front to back of wheel) and try to turn the car.. Listen for the clunk.

Similar to checking wheel bearings.. but not grabbing top to bottom..

B
StratPlayer
Ok just went out a tried what you said, no clunking at all. Steering column u joints maybe?
Brad Roberts
Or a loose rack. Stick your head under the dash and grab the wheel.. move the wheel while looking at the U joints. You could have a worn out rack...

Starting to sound like U joints.. I just have never seen any fail.

B
StratPlayer
Ok just tried that the U joint looked and felt good when turning the wheel, still had the clunking sound, all I have to do is turn the steering a couple of inches in either direction an you can hear the clunking sound,, sounds like the rack,, better start looking for a good used one.
Brad Roberts
The only other way I can think of would involve jacking the car up and grabbing the front wheels while watching the steering wheel. You should be able to feel the play in the rack.

I have seen loose racks (bolts loose..not worn out loose) make this noise also.

B
Brad Roberts
Your not really running back and forth to the computer are you ??

B
StratPlayer
Yes,, the car is not far, only takes a minute to do what you ask,, best way, all the info is fresh in ones head laugh.gif laugh.gif BTW the car is scheduled to go in the shop on the 21st, I'm gonna have Jim Adams shifter installed, also picked up a XR700, no sure about that one yet as the car is running the best its ever ran since I've owned it, if its not broke don't fix it. When its in the shop we will get to the bottom of this clunking sound.
Brad Roberts
The web has brought communication to a new level.

We raced a car with a steering clunk in at Laguna... brought the car in and the steering rack had one bolt half way out holding the rack in. Luckily the other bolt was still sitting in the suspension tray floating around.. I couldnt beleive the drive could get the car around the track.

B
JWest
You can also try loosening the steering u-joints - sometimes (especially when rack specers are installed) they get bound up by being pushed together. Just loosen one of the clamp bolts and turn the wheel to see if the noise changes.
Brad Roberts
Good one James.

Oh James.. do you know of any decent 912's or 914's in the DFW area for sale ?? In the 3500-4500 range ??

B
StratPlayer
James, gonna have to wait till tomorrow on that one, just got home from playing 18 holes and I'm gonna sit my a** down a relax, will try that first thing in the morning a let you how things turn out, I will follow up and no leave you hanging. Thanks for all the great advice you guys, This board is the best thing since seedless...

BTW: Love the club sticker,, its on the rear window right behing the drivers sit... looks gr8, thank you very much, appreciated.
JWest
Brad - I don't know off the top of my head but I can ask around.
Dave_Darling
Does the steering wheel have up-and-down slop? That could also cause noise...

--DD
ChrisFoley
I had a loose shock collar once. It made a noise and the steering bound up slightly at one point as well. It's easy enough to check. I looked all around the steering system before discovering this simple problem.
ChrisReale
Ok, regarding ball joints. How the hell do you remove the pin that connects the ball joint to the strut? Do you just pound the snot out of it until it comes out, or do you have to finesse it? smash.gif
Brad Roberts
Pound it out and have two new ones ready to go. The stretch and *shouldnt* be reused. I do occasionally reuse them.. but only if they came out in one swift blow. I flip the nut around flush with the end to knock them out. I have also had to use a air chisel to "tap" them out.

B
jimtab
I lost a cv joint on my old '74 on a trip to Canada and it clunked when turning actually it was more like a loud clicking in a bass voice. Hope you don't have that they raped me at the porsche dealer in Bellingham. Jim
StratPlayer
Well after all this time finally got around to fixing this problem. Installed a new steering rack from the same year car and the clunking sound is gone. So it turned out to be the steering rack after all. Took a while to get to this cause I waited to get a rack that was the same year as the car, weird but it was worth the wait. Steering noise is gone.

Also got the electric windshield washer hooked up.
StratPlayer
ccssdds
merrill
I really like your car rolleyes.gif Orange has always been a favorite. How easy was electric washer installation confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ChrisReale @ May 14 2003, 05:37 PM)
Ok, regarding ball joints. How the hell do you remove the pin that connects the ball joint to the strut? Do you just pound the snot out of it until it comes out, or do you have to finesse it? smash.gif

if you want to have a hope of re-using it, loosen slightly but do not remove the nut. spritz liberally with PB Blaster. then smack smartly with a solid punch and a BIG brass hammer or use a punch tool in an air hammer. the pins are expensive...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.