Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjustment Tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I have been reading the forums on valve adjustment, I have two questions. A Porsche 914 shop manual I have has a picture of a valve adjustment tool (see below). I was wondering if this tool is still available through a vendor? It looks like it would work great in tight places plus you would not need three hands!

Has anyone had experience with this tool?

Also I climbed under my teener and looked at the valve covers. Not much room under there. I guess you can adjust the valve without removing the heat exchangers? The picture has some tin removed.

Thank you in advance for your help.
rmital
..it's a pretty cool tool, I have that one or one similar to it. But, there is no room to use it unless the motor is on a engine stand.
r_towle
Nothing needs to be removed except the valve cover.
A rag looped through the bail given a good solid yank will pop the bail off.
The valve cover slides out towards the rear of the car positioned so it holds oil...

Use a dime for the screw driver adjustment...it fits nicely.
It just takes some practice as you tighten things down to know where you need to use the wrench and what will happen to the adjuster when you snug up the nut...

Rich
dlee6204
Nothing needs to be removed except the valve cover.

agree.gif
scotty b
Can you adjust the value up to aboot 100,000? confused24.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 23 2012, 04:47 PM) *

Can you adjust the value up to aboot 100,000? confused24.gif

chair.gif

Thats better
JawjaPorsche
When you type CAT when you meant to type DOG, spell-check will not find it! sad.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 23 2012, 02:51 PM) *

The picture has some tin removed.

I don't think that engine is in a car.
URY914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 23 2012, 02:26 PM) *

It's in a 411.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 23 2012, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 23 2012, 02:26 PM) *

It's in a 411.

It appears to be a 914 HE (albeit incomplete) in the photo (that's no 411/412 HE), but that motor is NOT installed on anything 'cept an engine stand.

I own the old Snap-on valve adjuster tool and there's no way in hell you can use it on a 914 with the motor installed. There isn't even enough room on pre-68 bugs to get it on the #2 exhaust valve with the engine installed.
bandjoey
It's hard to adjust without removing the heat exchangers - for me. Pop them off and it's a 15 minute job. With them on an hour - for me.

Here's my tool (don't get excited now piratenanner.gif ). HF 95cent parts cleaning brush with the proper shims. It has the perfect angle to get the shim in to make the adjustment.

Happy adjusting
jcb29
Kool tools Bill. Looks loke they could also be used to clean out the gap between the second and third molars.
rjames
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 23 2012, 04:34 PM) *

It's hard to adjust without removing the heat exchangers - for me. Pop them off and it's a 15 minute job. With them on an hour - for me.

Here's my tool (don't get excited now piratenanner.gif ). HF 95cent parts cleaning brush with the proper shims. It has the perfect angle to get the shim in to make the adjustment.

Happy adjusting

Takes me longer to remove heat exchangers then it does to adjust the valves. I'm also paranoid of stripping an exhaust stud.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 24 2012, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 23 2012, 04:34 PM) *

Happy adjusting

Takes me longer to remove heat exchangers then it does to adjust the valves. I'm also paranoid of stripping an exhaust stud.

agree.gif
bandjoey
It's the angle of the dangle that makes this a great tool.
Dave_Darling
I use a deep-offset wrench for the jam nut, and a stubby flat-head screwdriver for the adjuster. Access is usually from in front of the suspension console, or forward along the top of the heat exchanger to the rear of the rocker box.

--DD
iamchappy
I came across one of these recently on the web never tried it but looks like it may work well.

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/12909.htm
Dave_Darling
Not nearly enough room for it with most of our valves.

--DD
brant
There is no need to remove the heat exchanger
don't use the special measuring tool if it doesn't fit

a normal/cheap set of feeler guages will work
a box open wrench and stubby screw driver will work

I have brace bars on both sides, an auxillary rear oil cooler, plus all of the heating hardware (J tubes), and can still adjust my valvew without pulling the heat exchangers.

its done by feel
but much quicker than disassembling things
JawjaPorsche
Thanks for all the feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.