Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat towing w/o an engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Can you flat tow a 914 w/o the engine/transmission installed? How would you keep the axles from flopping around? You could pull them, but I think thats certain death for the bearings.

Zach
audio_file
I used to tow old subies with no engine (or rear diff) and would just use a thick zip tie to hold up the axle, never had one wear thru, and didn't damage the axle.... Ymmv
Krieger
Hey Zack as long as you leave the stubs I'm the hub your good. Just unbolt the cv from the stub and get the axles off.
JRust
I'd remove the axles. I don't think it will kill the bearings. I've got a trailer thats been running for years that way with no problem. Less weight yes but probably not that different than a car with no drivetrain. I probably wouldn't go across country like that. A couple hundred miles I wouldn't sweat it confused24.gif
jimkelly
can the cv's on the swing arm side be removed without pulling stub axle?
JRust
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 27 2012, 11:54 AM) *

can the cv's on the swing arm side be removed without pulling stub axle?

yep! I do it all the time. So much nicer having them out of the way when dropping the motor & tranny biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
I don't know where this tale of "flat towing without an engine/trans will ruin your bearings" got started but it's wrong.
My guess is some yahoo flat towed a 914 with the axles on and destroyed more than just his bearings.... then told everyone you can't do it.
Or maybe the stubs and hubs were not bolted together... or maybe his trailing arm broke off because it was rusted out...

You do have to leave the hub bolted to the stub.
The trailing arm mounts would have to be in good condition.

I would never tow a 914 with just the axles on, ever, no exceptions.
Removing the CV's, although may be a PITA on a 914, it will not ruin your wheel bearings. You can then tow it no problem.
type47
Whoops, posted bad advice slap.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 27 2012, 04:48 PM) *

Tangerine/Chris Foley
Click to view attachment

"Not suitable for towing!" dry.gif
IronHillRestorations
There've been a few guys that had problems flat towing a car with the stub axles removed, which you can't do.

If you try and tow the car with the half shafts supported by zip ties, you'll get about a mile and a half before you have problems.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Aug 27 2012, 04:00 PM) *

"Not suitable for towing!" dry.gif

Agreed. Its not sturdy enough and the center assembly doesn't have bearings needed for high speed rotation.

Just remove the halfshafts and leave the stubs installed.
VaccaRabite
Okay. Half shafts!
Plas76targa: get those tow bar mounts on your 911 or I am going to tow my 914 to Scott's instead. I'm call'n you out, Mr P.

laugh.gif
Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 27 2012, 05:43 PM) *

Okay. Half shafts!
Plas76targa: get those tow bar mounts on your 911 or I am going to tow my 914 to Scott's instead. I'm call'n you out, Mr P.

laugh.gif
Zach

If Matt needs a tow to Scotty's, I can help out.
plas76targa
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 27 2012, 02:43 PM) *

Okay. Half shafts!

laugh.gif
Zach

Damn, you read posts fast! The shellange is on! if you tow your 914 then i'll drag the 911 behind the Enclave. I should have the towing package installed by then.
VaccaRabite
Matt, the 911 has priority. If I bring the 914 I'll be tempted to work on it instead of having a party. I'd rather bring down the 911.
hot_shoe914
If Zach can get his 914 to Scotty's party I am bringing him a motor that is basically plug and play that all the drunk people can install into his car.

drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif

Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 27 2012, 01:43 PM) *

Okay. Half shafts!
Plas76targa: get those tow bar mounts on your 911 or I am going to tow my 914 to Scott's instead.
Zach

blink.gif WTF.gif is this aboot ? confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
Dons fault. He put this hair brained idea in my head.
Zach
scotty b
Then Donald can start paying my shop insurance when they find out customers have been working on their own cars here and drop my policy dry.gif
VaccaRabite
Ahh. So maybe not the best idea then. Well, I'll just have to leave my car home and enjoy the party then.

Good. smile.gif
BajaXJ92
biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 27 2012, 08:56 PM) *

Then Donald can start paying my shop insurance when they find out customers have been working on their own cars here and drop my policy dry.gif

But...But....But.....Zach's not a customer.........he's just a PIA!!! sheeplove.gif
jimkelly
i think you want both these parts on the swing arm, held on with the castle nut, for flat towing.

SLITS
Yup!

Reason: The stub axle supports the back inner race of the bearing. When bolted in place it keeps the double row bearing together.

I reason that if only the hub is installed, the hub can be stressed vertically and with motion, possibly start to spit the inner race of the back row bearing out. This would probably cause it's destruction if the inner race moves enough that the ball bearings don't track properly plus kill the dirt/water seal on the backside.

Anyway, yes I bored.
Brett W
I flat towed a 914 from Colorado to Alabama with stub axles installed. NO problems there. Just torque the stub axle in place. Bring a spare pair so you can simply remove the whole axle instead of fighting with the CV bolts in the field.
zymurgist
If Zach really wants to have drunks install his engine, he could host a get-together... idea.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 27 2012, 06:56 PM) *

........Why me worry?....your 30 day grace period has pabst zabst.I mean
lapst..BURP beer.gif (have some popcorn) popcorn[1].gif
stromberg.gif face
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.