Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst task on a 914???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
Why is the console so hard? Getting the pedal board out is more of a bitch IMHO.

Remove the bottom center piece, unplug all the wires, remove the gauge piece, undo the tiny screw by the seats and the one in the bottom metal bracket, undo the two screws under the dash, and maneuver it out. confused24.gif
tod914
Peddle board comes out easy if you pull the gas peddle off that accelator bar. ohmy.gif
SpecialK
Firewall shifter boot (still hanging), and anything that requires you getting both arms in the engine compartment at the same time headbang.gif
McMark
Take off the engine lid. Two bolts and you have great engine access.
sj914
Wiring, wiring, wiring. DAPO butchered it up to put an alarm.
airsix
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 25 2004, 07:39 PM)
Oil cooler seals with the engine in mad.gif

Ooooo, good one! Did that once. Once.

For me it's the little things. Like removing the coroded 30-year-old clips on the rear brake flex-lines.

914 Haiku? How about my January 914-breakdown inspired verse:

Fingers cold and numb
cut again on jagged tin
where did the screw fall?

Thank you very much.
-Ben M.
SpecialK
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Oct 25 2004, 09:44 PM)
Take off the engine lid. Two bolts and you have great engine access.

Which requires both hands in the engine compartment to remove the bolts....
wheelo
1) Repair sucked-in clutch tube & Firewall ('70 914/4)
2) Weber 44 IDA's complete tear-down and rebuild (Twice)
3) Valve Adjustments (yuck)

It's all fun and games...

smoke.gif
gopack
slightly off topic: here is my haiku!

teener in peices
another summer not driven-
hope for the next year
freezing14
here mine, you are new to the 914 and you buy a project car already completely dissassembled, so you have a 1 tub and a lot of boxes of very interesting looking pieces, some in metal, some in plastic and the one with the wiring harness and now put it back together in the right order!! boldblue.gif
Root_Werks
Other people's wirring. mad.gif Can't even count the amount of fixes I have done straight from the Mickey Mouse shops in the world.

Another good one: Pulling a lower turbo valve cover off a 914-6 on it's first in-car valve adjustment realizing you forgot to shave off some of the corner fin material! ohmy.gif Doh!
horizontally-opposed
No question about it, though changing out the fuel lines came in a close second:

-Replacing the rear wheels bearings with the car on jackstands in my home garage. And with no press.

ar15.gif Yack.gif chair.gif alfred.gif

Broo-tal.

pete
balljoint
Explaining to my wife how much money I want to (did)spend this month on a car that she hasn't had a ride in yet.

Removing 35+ year-old bolts that broke during suspension removal. I need an oxy-acetylene torch.
Hammer920
Well guys have seen most all of this on my 73 so my responce is this I have to do all of this to make it right so whats the old saying live and learn the hard way, one thing at a time. Damn you guys make it sound hard.... my problem is I dont have enough Beer to finish it.
Rusty
Blower housing, rear bearings and getting that last bubble out of the proportioning valve (not difficult, but most frustrating sometimes).

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bruce Allert
Naw... none'a ya's gots da worse one yet.......

it's callin da DAMN tow truck (or a friend) ta come git yer ass when it won't start alfred.gif BTDT thrice blink.gif

......b
ruddyboys
My nightmare is putting on the tin that goes around the cylinder next to the oil cooler, without bending it, again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.