Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst task on a 914???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron Cox
letz hear the horror stories
MattR
So far: my head stud. You know the story... headbang.gif

Well I have some pain in the ASS head stud thats just wierd. Its shorter then the rest of the studs and it just wouldnt come out. I had to buy a head stud puller that would work, but aaron's man hands finially got it out (i wonder what he does to work them out???). Now I need to find a new/used head stud so I can finially adjust my valves and start it up!
Jeroen
Apart from rust issues... <_<

I think the most irritating part to get out of the car (let alone put it back in) is the window venting system under the front cowl
SLITS
Buying a wreck and making it run. rolleyes.gif

#1 - electrical

#2 - electrical

#3 - electrical

#4 - el.......................,
DNHunt
Dealing with exhaust leaks. Hard to fix, hard to see, dirty.

Dave
ematulac
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 25 2004, 03:03 PM)

#1 - electrical

#2 - electrical

#3 - electrical

#4 - el.......................,

agree.gif

I've ripped out the power windows, the power mirrors, the stereo system, and all the crappy wiring that was already in my 914 when I got it. Everything was great for about a month, then I went and short circuited something somewhere and I still can't find it. headbang.gif
brant
-rust
-electrical
-hard to find FI issue...

drum roll.....
- those damn outboard cv joint bolts....

brant
Sammy
Replacing the rubber seal for the engine shelf with the engine still in place, replacing the master cylinder,
un-doing the DAPO's "custom" electrical work.
Joe Bob
Anything that involves old tranny gear oil...god I hates dat smell..... icon8.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 25 2004, 02:58 PM)
Worst task on a 914???

filling her up at the gas-pump ...

icon8.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
gettin those damn turbo tie rod boots on the rod when its attached to rack,

i HATE valve adjusts
qa1142
Thats an easy one

Mothballing for winter storage sad2.gif sad2.gif
TimT
Anything that involves old tranny gear oil...god I hates dat smell.....

LOL ya dinosaur shit

Mothballing for winter storage

agree.gif That is the worst givemebeer.gif
MattR
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Oct 25 2004, 02:18 PM)
Thats an easy one

Mothballing for winter storage sad2.gif sad2.gif

Whats that? cool.gif
bondo
Poking at the rusty spots with a 914 rust dectector (screwdriver) and having it go right through.
scottb
putting the boot back on at the firewall for the side shift tranny. it is impossible. mine still hangs down, unattached to the firewall!!!!!!!

headbang.gif finger.gif headbang.gif finger.gif headbang.gif finger.gif headbang.gif finger.gif
skline
Least favorite would probably be replacing a rear quarter panel and getting it to fit right. Everything else has been easy, time consuming, but easy.
dinomium
agree.gif that one is WAY UP THERE! and cutting your knuckle on the retaining clip for the e brake cable right below it!
Clutch tube repairs are right up there too!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(scottb @ Oct 25 2004, 03:46 PM)
putting the boot back on at the firewall for the side shift tranny. it is impossible. mine still hangs down, unattached to the firewall!!!!!!!

headbang.gif finger.gif headbang.gif finger.gif headbang.gif finger.gif headbang.gif finger.gif

that and the boot for the speedo cable thru the firewall
BPGREER

Just did that yesterday. I decided I would just leave it hanging, but of course I crawled back under the car and fidgetted until it went on. It is a pain in the ass. Valve adjustment is a pain, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Strange FI problems top my list so far.
dlo914
Cons
1. Dizzy went bad = $100 + Core exchange
2. Tearing/Cleaning smash.gif out the interior and found all this gunk on the floor boards
3. New Carpeting = $100
3. Too many to list = headbang.gif $ ?.??

Pros
1. Found just about $7 clap56.gif worth of change underneath the driver seat
2. The roar of the engine and it's just a BLAST drooley.gif
3. driving.gif Driving a 914 = PRICELESS (not talking about the wallet)
watsonrx13
Replacing the right rear suspension ear... wacko.gif
Dr Evil
Moving it around to keep it from being poached by the vehicle abatement police wink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Guy's, don't fight the shift rod front boot. A bit of light oil, and it'll slip right on.
URY914
Replacing a master cylinder with the gas tank still in the car.
Those f%@&@^ brake hoses coming down from the top. mad.gif
Trick is to instal the hoses in the m/c first then install the m/c.

Also the steering rack is a bitch to re-install.

Paul
nebreitling
ar15.gif stripped exhaust studs

i f-ing HATE dealing with that...
JoeSharpOld
I'll put in a side shifter before I put all those tail shifter bushings again. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Joe
Bleyseng
Replacing a master cylinder with the gas tank still in the car.
Those f%@&@^ brake hoses coming down from the top.

Geoff
Series9
Removing fuel lines from the bottom of the tank.

Removing CV joints from the tranny flanges.

Rear bearings. mad.gif

Supply lines to the top of the master cylinder. ar15.gif
nebreitling
this thread is like one big 914club cathartsis!
siverson
You guys already got most of the good ones. During reassembly of my -whole- 914, these were the things that I hope never to do again.

- reassembly of defroster vent/controls

- reassembly of headlight mechanism

- removing undercoating (anywhere)

- any sort of welding/grinding/heavy metal cutting (removing -4 motor mounts, installing GT stiffening kit, etc, etc)

I like electrical work... It's the one thing that to me seems simple to diagnose and makes sense - either it works or it doesn't.

-Steve
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Oct 25 2004, 02:02 PM)
I think the most irritating part to get out of the car (let alone put it back in) is the window venting system under the front cowl

I'll 2nd this one.
Allan
QUOTE(914RS @ Oct 25 2004, 04:15 PM)
Removing CV joints from the tranny flanges.

C'mon, it's not that hard.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 25 2004, 05:35 PM)
Moving it around to keep it from being poached by the vehicle abatement police wink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

My worst task is convincing myself I DON'T need to drive it today. It happens everyday. biggrin.gif

Oh, I guess spending 16+ hours and consuming a case or so of brake cleaner while cleaning the engine after we removed it this summer. By "consuming" I don't mean drinking it. laugh.gif

Oops, can't forget fitting that little friggin' piece of engine tin that goes between the cylinders and pushrod tubes. Especially remembering you need to do it just after fitting the tubes in place.... mad.gif

And FUTURE worse task will be replacing my alternator? It's making noise. sad.gif
ppickerell
Least favorite task on 914? Don't hate me for this because I wrenched on my cars for years.... but my worst is having to harass the shop that does my repairs laugh.gif !
ppickerell
Is it done yet, how much is it going to cost, $2000 for a LSD? (It was $5 a hit in my day)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Oct 25 2004, 06:37 PM)
Is it done yet, how much is it going to cost, $2000 for a LSD? (It was $5 a hit in my day)

hahahhahh

another evil task is suspension bushings.... tedious (grooving etc)
Joe Ricard
Adjusting valves with all the heater ducting in place.
Chasing oil leaks
The whole process of getting to the defroster duct:
- drain gas
- pull tank
- pull duct hoses witout screwing them up
- pull fan housing and getting to the clip and cable retainer WITH OUT SCREWING THEM UP
- Figuring out how to fix the fucking thing
- getting it all back in place

All this is forgotten when it blows air in 3 speeds without rattling like it's going to go into orbit. mueba.gif
TheCabinetmaker
ahhh, suspension bushings. A truly unpleasant task!!!!
McMark
Windshield Wiper Motor!!

Without breaking the rubber mount. Pain in the ass.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Oct 25 2004, 06:47 PM)
Windshield Wiper Motor!!

Without breaking the rubber mount. Pain in the ass.

i second this!!!

PITA on steroids!
bob91403
Repairing or replacing the NEXT damned thing. By the time I'm through, this car will be new! Was that a haiku? Huh, who knew? ninja.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 25 2004, 07:07 PM)
Repairing or replacing the NEXT damned thing. By the time I'm through, this car will be new! Was that a haiku? Huh, who knew? ninja.gif

nope

haiku's are 5,7,5 cool.gif
bob91403
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 25 2004, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 25 2004, 07:07 PM)

nope

haiku's are 5,7,5 cool.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Yeah, I knew. Three sentences, 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. Didn't expect anyone here to be able to SPELL haiku. clap56.gif
Matt Romanowski
There are some really good ones here, but mine is taking out / putting in a centerconsole. I would do ANYTHING on a 914 before doing this.

Matt
boxstr
Trying to remove the targa bar pad.
CCLININGASPAINTHEASS
MattR
All this makes me not want to do anything... I still have to do: rust repair (hell hole), remove dash, replace master cylinder, and a bunch of other stuff thats listed.
tod914
Oil cooler seals with the engine in mad.gif
ThinAir
1) anything involving ru$t sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
2) poor electrical grounds
3) valve adjustment
jimtab
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif I haven't read the list but my least favorite is to turn the sombitch off and get out. aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.