Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding Jack Posts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deano
I am in the process of repairing the longs on my car, pretty straight forward, except the jack posts had been removed by the PO. I have the replacement pieces and am not sure of proper set up. How far into the support should the tube go? Do I weld the tube to the support first, then to the car? Does the tube get welded to the car or just to the support? HELP!!!!! All of the photos and illustrations I can find really don't help.
Porsche Rescue
I want to know too.
balljoint
Measurements to indicate location might also be usefull.
ejm
Best way to locate the tube is to use the hole in the outer rocker as a guide. Weld the tube to the inner rocker, then install the support plate. The fender will be in the way and you won't be able to get the support in place. Make cuts in the support 1" down from the support's tube hole and bend the tab down to get clearance, then weld it back up. The bottom of the factory jack hole actually sits about 1" inside the inner rocker. If the whole jack post area was rotted and repaired flush with the rocker the new jack tube will stick out too far.
Deano
That's nice to know, I would have never thought to cut it. I am going to repair the area flush,
so how far out from the outer rocker should it stick? I had been planning to use the outer rocker to determine location.
mercdev
1 view (both right side)
mercdev
2nd
Deano
Great Pix. Thanks that helps a lot. When your outer rocker is in place is the post pretty much flush?
mercdev
QUOTE(Deano @ Oct 26 2004, 10:11 PM)
Great Pix. Thanks that helps a lot. When your outer rocker is in place is the post pretty much flush?

Yes.

There's maybe 1/8 to 1/16 gap, but the plug fits snug when it's in so I don't think that matters. The tube also is snug against the rocker (no rear gap that I can see), fyi.
Deano
Excellent, thanks to everyone again. Your help is always appreciated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.