Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a good South Jersey 914 Mechanic recommended
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jersey914

I just got my new/ 74' 2.0 and needed it looked over bumper to bumper. I don't pretend to be an motor-head but I know enough to talk the talk. I just can't walk the walk when I comes to 914 repairs. I took it to a local Porsche guy that I really like but I a have pretty good idea that he works for a real premium. He specializes in Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Ferrari but I can tell his love is Porsches.

Although he liked my vehicle overall, it does appear to need a fair amount of work. He gave me a list of repairs listed in order of importance (in his opinion).

I was wondering what you guys think. If anyone knows a reasonable guy that won't rake me over the coals, I would welcome the referral. I can post the list of repairs if needed but didn't want to unless you thought it was relevant.
mepstein
Drive a little further to Fairwinds auto in New Castle Delaware. Will and his crew know (old) Porsche and are reasonably priced.
hot_shoe914
Let's see the list, maybe we can help.

welcome.png
jersey914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:24 AM) *

Let's see the list, maybe we can help.

welcome.png

1- Needs front and rear shocks badly
2- Tie Rod assemblies need upgraded
3- Clean & Grease steering rack and replace right side boot
4- Battery hold down cable!!
5- Instrument cluster light
6- Oil leaks from valve cover gaskets and needs valve adjustment - BADLY
7- Oil leaks from push rod tubes and oil temp sending unit
8- Needs shifter bushings and current short shift creates no leverage
9- Blower switch is not working
10- All heater hoses and ventilation hoses are missing!

I have no idea what this stuff should cost to replace or repair depending on the situation. I know I will probably get banged on the parts since he needs to make his cut. But I can't exactly ask I guy to fix my car and bring him all the parts......lol.......That's kind of cold.

Here you go?
mepstein
Talk to your local guy and work out what you both think is right. Usually it's better to pay a good mechanic a little more for the parts and get the work done correctly and get the car on the road than to try to do it on the cheap and end up with an expensive problem. I pay my local mechanic fair prices for good work and he's gone above and beyond when I've had problems with my cars.

Example - Me to mechanic - My cars not running right and I have to pick up my wife at the airport.
Mechanic - I'll taker a look today and here's the keys to my car.

Priceless!

BTW - I drive through Marlton to visit my parents in Medford. Let me know if I can help. Mark
SLKWrx
Just curious, who's the guy in marlton?
jersey914
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Sep 16 2012, 04:21 PM) *

Just curious, who's the guy in marlton?

Pm sent
okieflyr
Do you physically have room in the garage to perform the work if you had help?

jersey914
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Sep 16 2012, 08:24 PM) *

Do you physically have room in the garage to perform the work if you had help?

I have a fair amount of room in the garage but all the room I need in front to of the house. I think I could bring the car in on an angle and create more indoor garage room. Why do you ask?

okieflyr
I live on the PA/DE border but work in Marlton. If you have an interest to save a few bucks, and involves getting your hands dirty, I can give a hand with some of the projects this winter. All the jobs are doable at home if you have the desire, or farm out the ones you wish.
jersey914
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Sep 16 2012, 09:57 PM) *

I live on the PA/DE border but work in Marlton. If you have an interest to save a few bucks, and involves getting your hands dirty, I can give a hand with some of the projects this winter. All the jobs are doable at home if you have the desire, or farm out the ones you wish.

I don't mind getting dirty at all, in fact I kind of like it....lol.....I bought this car with the hopes of meeting some people that could help to teach me the do it yourself stuff. I appreciate the offer and saved your profile so I could find you. Message me your contact information so I can save it in my phone too. I will reciprocate.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.