Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its ALIVE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Fired on the first rotation after the ignition and fuel were turned on.

I primed the oil system with an external pump so she had pressure after about 5 seconds of cranking. Then I flipped the fuel on and the ignition on and she just cranked right over.

The idle is seems real slow and loppy (sp) because of the big cam. Revs like a banshee with the light flywheel and clutch.

Now I'll take her off the jackstands and see if I can get the clutch and tranny sorted before this weekends race.

Thanks Jake, keep you posted.

Also, got the Excellence today. Haven't read it yet but looks like a long article.
mharrison
AWESOME!!! I'm always glad to hear when another teener is coming back to life!!!!
smilie_pokal.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 27 2004, 03:04 PM)
Fired on the first rotation after the ignition and fuel were turned on.

Congrats Dave! smilie_pokal.gif

Where's the pics? unsure.gif
machina
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Oct 27 2004, 08:17 PM)
Congrats Dave! smilie_pokal.gif

Where's the pics? unsure.gif

I've posted alot during the install and rebuild, but here are a few. Gonna update my site with some details about the process and fabrication.

Every part of this process has been a learning experience for me and I couldn't have done it without all your help (the club). Thanks for that. beer.gif

Before this the most I ever did myself was bleed brakes and change wheels. One great part of this is that now I can tackle just about any problem that comes up. At the track it will really help because now I can adjust the clutch or troubleshoot the electrics etc.

At school they say "see one, do one, teach one" now I can teach one.
DonTraver
SWEET!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisReale
well done. beer.gif
dinomium
Looks pretty, smells nu, bet it goes like stink!

congrats a nice work... smilie_pokal.gif
Jake Raby
Great work!!

Its suppose to crank on the first turn- we built it!
maf914
Dave,

Way to go!

Are you using a stock tachometer, and if so, does it work with the Mallory HiFire ignition box? Any adapters necessary?
machina
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 28 2004, 08:04 AM)
Are you using a stock tachometer, and if so, does it work with the Mallory HiFire ignition box? Any adapters necessary?

That's a good question, I have no idea. I was so intent on watching the oil pressure gauge that I don't even remember if the tach was working! I only ran it a couple minutes because the back of the car is towards the back of the garage about 2' from the door to the house. Still smells like race exhaust in here.

Today I'll try and connect the clutch, take her off the jackstands, and roll her out.

I do remember a while back someone saying that their tach worked OK with the Hyfire, I'll let you know.
machina
mike,

just did a search...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...13362&hl=hyfire

seems you have to use the lead from the dizzy (green wire) not the tach wire (yellow) from the Hyfire.

Guess I'll be doing a little re-wire. wacko.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 28 2004, 06:29 AM)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...13362&hl=hyfire

seems you have to use the lead from the dizzy (green wire) not the tach wire (yellow) from the Hyfire.

Guess I'll be doing a little re-wire. wacko.gif

Dave,

I just read the old thread you referenced and then re-read my instructions. It clearly states to connect the yellow wire coming out of the box to your tach lead. As I recall, I followed the instructions and this is how I have mine configured and my tach works fine. Unfortunately, my wires are bundled and covered up right now so I can't confirm at this moment.

I would be hesitant to start switching wires around. I will check when I return home and let you know what I find. Or maybe someone else will chime in to clarify.
machina
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Oct 28 2004, 09:43 AM)
I just read the old thread you referenced and then re-read my instructions. It clearly states to connect the yellow wire coming out of the box to your tach lead. As I recall, I followed the instructions and this is how I have mine configured and my tach works fine. Unfortunately, my wires are bundled and covered up right now so I can't confirm at this moment.

I would be hesitant to start switching wires around. I will check when I return home and let you know what I find. Or maybe someone else will chime in to clarify.

Appreciate the followup. I have the yellow wired now as the instructions outlined and I will test it before I start changing things.

That said, on the STF I read that these old tachs need the signal from the dizzy, not the CD unit. That may be why you used the green from the dizzy.

I'll just crank her over and see if it works with the yellow, let you know later. thanks.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 28 2004, 07:46 AM)
That said, on the STF I read that these old tachs need the signal from the dizzy, not the CD unit.

That may be why you used the green from the dizzy.

Just to clarify, I did not use the "green" wire.

It was Serge that posted that he used the green wire.

Anyway... your installation looks really clean and that Raby 4 is going to SCREAM! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.