Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bumbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnpierre
i am a new member and know very little about 914's, although growing up my father had several porsche's from a 356 to a speedster, a 911, and a couple of 930's. never a 914. i am currently looking at a couple here in los angeles and notice that on the 75's the bumbers are quite different. i am not that crazy about them. i like the chrome bumber and small rubber strip that rests on top of the chrome part (valance?) on the earlier body types. my question is, can i install these on a 75 body?
pcar916
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Sep 17 2012, 09:32 AM) *

... can i install these on a 75 body?

Yep
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Sep 17 2012, 09:32 AM) *

i am a new member and know very little about 914's, although growing up my father had several porsche's from a 356 to a speedster, a 911, and a couple of 930's. never a 914. i am currently looking at a couple here in los angeles and notice that on the 75's the bumbers are quite different. i am not that crazy about them. i like the chrome bumber and small rubber strip that rests on top of the chrome part (valance?) on the earlier body types. my question is, can i install these on a 75 body?

Yes.
But it is easier to just buy a pre-75 car if you like the earler style bumpers. You are in LA, you can find a car that looks the way you want it to look. Don't settle on the first you see.

Zach
underthetire
Yes, and its bumper. Expect to pay quite a bit for chrome bumpers with a good top pad. Repo top pads are over 500 for the set by themselves. Do a search for bumper back dating.
Mikey914
You are in luck, we are reproducing the tops now in fiberglass and have a group buy going. The rubber ones you can get for about $650 a set(both) fiberglass are half that in the GB.

The bumpers that are the hardest to find for a good price. Then the choice is black or chrome. The chrome can be spendy for nice ones.

We have the rear bumpers in fiberglass, the fronts will be following with the tops. We have worked out a process to make the bumpers look like chrome.

Yes you can back date the bumpers. Do a search on the topic there are a few good threads.
76-914
poke.gif Damn Mikey, it sounds as if the good Dr914 might be channeling through you. lol-2.gif
shelby/914
Try searching for old school bumpers. There is a thread with lots of pix and a good explanation. I just did it on my '76 using that info.

Dan

Mikey914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 18 2012, 07:50 AM) *

poke.gif Damn Mikey, it sounds as if the good Dr914 might be channeling through you. lol-2.gif

OUCH!!

Not really the affect I was going for. Just wanted him to know there are options, and they can be back dated without dropping as much coin.
VaccaRabite
Its still easier to just buy an earlier car, since you are still looking.
You live in an area where most of these cars that are worth owning live. Get the car you want so that you don't have to backdate.
Zach
jimkelly
i just removed the big bumpers from my 1975

also - look at this thread - post 29 - he shows patching the big holes
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=78501

here is a good thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0bones&st=0

here is another
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...2942&st=100

jim
00r101
What the heck is a bumber? I see this all the time on car forums. I know our schools are bad but gee whiz. "Iz wanna aks youz about bumbers" It's hard to give straight answers when the question sounds like a joke.

BTW I am very happy with the fiberglass bumpers one can get from AutoAtlanta. Some fitting but holds up nice.
SUNAB914
Bumber is a wild animal from up north I believe? Like a wooden badger.
Run away!
johnpierre
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 18 2012, 10:45 AM) *

You live in an area where most of these cars that are worth owning live. Get the car you want so that you don't have to backdate.
Zach

got a 73, (posted on the classified section) bumpers in perfect condition. cherry. im so happy. i love looking at the bumpers, it has the mod style written all over it. thanks for the advice. i love my new car. everyone that has seen it says, "it is so you." kind of corny but it is true, quite frankly. lol
bulitt
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Sep 19 2012, 07:48 AM) *

Run away!

I think you are confusing the Bumber with a Bumble...
IPB Image
Cupomeat
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Oct 27 2012, 03:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 18 2012, 10:45 AM) *

Zach

got a 73, (posted on the classified section) bumpers in perfect condition. cherry. im so happy. i love looking at the bumpers, it has the mod style written all over it. thanks for the advice. i love my new car. everyone that has seen it says, "it is so you." kind of corny but it is true, quite frankly. lol

Excellent, Congrats!

Post a picture!!!
welcome.png
Cupomeat
QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 27 2012, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Sep 19 2012, 07:48 AM) *

Run away!

I think you are confusing the Bumber with a Bumble...
IPB Image

Bumbles BOUNCE!!!
Krieger
Congratulations! Enjoy driving it.
Krieger
Post some pictures of it.
914outlaw
This one?

IPB Image

Congrats! Looks like very nice.

welcome.png
euro911
I recognize that car. It used to reside less than a football field length from here blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.