Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing arm bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
I need to replace trailing arm bushings. I have had a loud "KLUNK" in the rt rear of the car for a bit. I kept thinking it was a shock bottoming out. I took the wheel and rocked the car back and forth by pushing and pulling on the top of the wheel, and could make the klunk happen. So not shock oriented. I had a friend rock the car by using the tire, and I stuck an arm under the car and could feel the motion between the trailing arm and the inner mounting ear. And the klunk. I did the same test on the driver side, and felt some slight movement, but no klunk was heard. Was the movement normal for a 40 yr old car? I don't know. But I'm pretty darn sure the the rt rear needs replacement.

If one is bad, can the other be far behind?

Considerations: I need the car this weekend for an autocross. And the following. Points are at stake here. Can I crank on the 2 nuts holding the trailing arm in place and buy one more event? After this weekend, I have the following week, 24-28 to get this done. A double header event on the 29-30 has me needing the car back in action.

The super $$$ elephant poly bronze looks nice, how hard are they to install? Delrin (?) is much cheeper, but how hard to install? How easy are they to mess up if you end up doing come custom fitting, which would be a real problem if I couldn't get additional replacement bushings fast enough? Having never done this, how much time to budget? Any good write ups on the process? Should I be doing wheel bearings at the same time? How hard are those to do? Time will not allow for fancy powder coating or such. I'm thinking of a quick remove/repair/replace. Anything else I need to be aware of?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Sep 17 2012, 06:55 PM) *
Any good write ups on the process?

The search does work ... poke.gif

Less than 20 seconds to find this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79299

popcorn[1].gif
ottox914
Found that, read it. Was wondering if there was anything similar for the ER poly bronze kits, or the Rebel Racing bushings.

Any feedback on the RR bushings. They look interesting to me.

http://rebelracingproducts.com/SuspSteerpage2.html
Rebel S Racing (RSR) Products 914 Rear Bushing Set

brant
that clunk sound scares me...
very likely its an ovaled trailing arm hole...

either way your alignment is gone

I'd try to fix it right
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Come to think of it I agree with Brant. It could be a ovaled hole. Check the nut and washer to see if they look like they have been moving.

We spend an hour on the phone and I never gave it a thought.
Jeffs9146
Check the hole when you get the arm out! It can be repaired in an hour or less if you have a welder!

Here is a before and after repair photo!
euro911
Hmmm. I hear a thud more than a clunk in the 'BB'. I originally thought the motor and trans mounts were shot. Installed new mounts with the new drive train, but the thud is still there dry.gif

Here's a thought, Dave: Pick up new bushings, some spare trailing arms, paint or powder coat them, install new bearings and have them ready to go in on your schedule idea.gif
MikeM
I just did this last week. I had to wait for trailing arm shafts, so I got a little hung up for that. Contact Eric Shea and he will set you up with everything you need.
Great guy and super helpful.
Mike
ottox914
Just got off the phone with Eric, Elephant bushing and shaft kit is on the way. Being pressed for time, I was not certain how bad the existing bushings/shafts might be, so the full monty kit seemed a good idea. And I've heard nothing but good things about that kit.

I'll see about some pics and hope I have no oval problems.

Check the for sale section. I have a set of the freemotion front roller bearing conversions that I never installed. I'll be selling these with the hopes of getting the $$$ before the charge hits on the order from Eric, so I can keep balances in check till I find work again.

Has anyone done, or even attempted to do this job with out disconnecting the entire rear of the car? Could you drop the trailing arm from the front mounting ears and save some time taking the rest of everything all apart? I ask because pulling axles is usually no biggie, except when the driver side of the car from the engine back is stuffed full of turbo stuff. Its not like I've never taken that out and put it back before, but would like to avoid that if possible. I'm not sure I can get that axle out with out taking those items out as well.
Jeffs9146
I have always had to press the shaft out! Kind of hard to do on the car!
bulitt
When I changed my bushings the shafts were almost completely rusted through. Would have been a catastrophic failure. Thanks to Eric for new shafts!!!
Eric_Shea
Could you drop the trailing arm from the front mounting ears and save some time taking the rest of everything all apart?

In for a penny... sad.gif
Tom
I found it impossible to put the trailing arms back on with the shocks and axles on the car and attached to the trailing arm. The arm would not fit without putting them in at an angle first and with the axles and shock attached, at least for one person operations, I just couldn't get the arm at the angle needed to go on. Of course now that the arm is on, I have to find a way to get the axles back on. I am going to loosen the trans and drop it a few inches.
tom
Eric_Shea
Of course now that the arm is on, I have to find a way to get the axles back on. I am going to loosen the trans and drop it a few inches.

Remove the CV's at the tranny and re-install.
Tom
Eric,
Well, why not. Thanks for turning the light bulb on. smile.gif
They are all apart anyway.
Tom
euro911
I need to rebuild a few sets of axles too (911/912 and 914 Lobros).

Thinking about hosting an 'Axle Rebuild Clinic' in the near future idea.gif
Eric_Shea
That should be "Uber Exciting" Mark yawn.gif

poke.gif
euro911
laugh.gif

We might throw in a front suspension rebuild clinic with it, and of course - a BBQ.

Should make it a little more enjoyable confused24.gif
ottox914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 18 2012, 04:29 PM) *

laugh.gif

We might throw in a front suspension rebuild clinic with it, and of course - a BBQ.

Should make it a little more enjoyable confused24.gif

Do it all at my place and we can use my car and my grill...

OK, probably not.
ottox914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 17 2012, 11:26 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Come to think of it I agree with Brant. It could be a ovaled hole. Check the nut and washer to see if they look like they have been moving.

We spend an hour on the phone and I never gave it a thought.

PICS for all you blood sucking sorts out there who enjoy the pain of others...

Click to view attachment
Outside looks solid.

Click to view attachment
Inside not so much.
ottox914
more pics...

Click to view attachment
Outside.

Click to view attachment
Inside.

At least the ear looks solid, although I have little faith the hole will still be round when I get the trailing arm off.
ChrisFoley
Where's the bushing?
I'll bet the shaft is tight and the hole in the ear is fine, but the bushing is gone.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif doesn't look like that outer washer has moved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.