Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injection is Better.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
This is for fun, not for fighting.

Shoot your own video and let's keep it fun, please.

IPB Image
Cevan
I really don't mind getting in my car to start it up. poke.gif
VaccaRabite
FI is better. There is no argument there. If carbs were better, cars would still use them.

But carbs are WAY cheaper. And some people will find them easier to tune and maintain.

Its a trade off.

Zach
SLITS
I will take the pain and grief of learning how to fix the FI as I like 25 - 30 mpg instead of 12 - 15 with carbs.
majkos
Yup, agree.gif
Mike Bellis
The main issue with programmable EFI is most people do not know how to tune. Even if you "learn" and practice, you really need a chassis dyno to get it just right. Most shops around here charge $800 per day and most new users will require several days on the dyno. Stock FI is much better for the novice but still can be a challenge.

I will never own carbs again... smile.gif
KaptKaos
Stock FI is fine if you have a supply of parts. Also, those parts can get to be very expensive as the supplies dwindle. Things like:

Trigger points
Green top injectors
Throttle Position Switches.
Manifold pressure sensors.
ECU/brains correct for the engine
Proper 3-port fuel pumps.

So yeah, as long as those things are in cheap and plentiful supply, then the stock FI is a better option as it works pretty well.

.ps nice video. love the tail lights. lose the wheels. that is all.
timothy_nd28
What blend of coffee are you on? Your way way to motivated for this time in the morning!
Hands down, FI is the way to go, for our cars were engineered that way. Your only doing a huge disservice to the 914 by slapping on carbs.
Series9
QUOTE(tim_nd @ Sep 18 2012, 10:17 AM) *

What blend of coffee are you on? Your way way to motivated for this time in the morning!

New girlfriend with an early schedule. I guess I'm getting used to it. smile.gif
timothy_nd28
I love morning sex too! wub.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(tim_nd @ Sep 18 2012, 06:48 AM) *

laugh.gif
Series9
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 18 2012, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(tim_nd @ Sep 18 2012, 06:48 AM) *

laugh.gif

shades.gif
porkchopexpress
QUOTE(tim_nd @ Sep 18 2012, 07:48 AM) *

Don't let Tim fool you, he is married with two kids. The only morning sex he gets is with himself.
lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
I like carbs. They are old technology and so am I. laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 18 2012, 09:28 AM) *

I like carbs. They are old technology and so am I. laugh.gif

You like them because they suck. At your age ...........................

nevermind!
Drums66
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 18 2012, 07:10 AM) *

Stock FI is fine if you have a supply of parts. Also, those parts can get to be very expensive as the supplies dwindle. Things like:

Trigger points
Green top injectors
Throttle Position Switches.
Manifold pressure sensors.
ECU/brains correct for the engine
Proper 3-port fuel pumps.

So yeah, as long as those things are in cheap and plentiful supply, then the stock FI is a better option as it works pretty well.

.ps nice video. love the tail lights. lose the wheels. that is all.

.........WHAT?........cheap versus efficientcy?...are you juggling this?
idea.gif bye1.gif(carry on)
dian
whats all the stuff in your trunk? my car starts just like yours without it. and it has been sitting for 10 years (untill yesterday).
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 18 2012, 09:45 AM) *

Dunno what efficiency you're talking about, but I am getting 26 mpg with my 40 idfs on a mild-cammed 1.8. Thats mostly city, and I have a habit of hitting the redline happy11.gif
Series9
QUOTE(dian @ Sep 18 2012, 01:02 PM) *

whats all the stuff in your trunk? my car starts just like yours without it. and it has been sitting for 10 years (untill yesterday).

This is a 3.2 /6, 10.5:1, big cams, PMO ITBs, twin plug.

From left to right on top: MegaSquirt ECU, EDIS modules, Wideband O2 sensor module

Below: Braille battery, fuse block, ECU and fuel pump relays.

On the firewall, you can see the two coil packs. One runs the upper plugs and one runs the lower.

Drums66
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 18 2012, 10:15 AM) *

Dunno what efficiency you're talking about, but I am getting 26 mpg with my 40 idfs on a mild-cammed 1.8. Thats mostly city, and I have a habit of hitting the redline happy11.gif

.....Wait till they get DIRTY!(carbs sweat)
happy11.gif
JoeSharp
I am sorry you guys I love carbs as my six came with them and have no problem tuning them. I feel no reason to learn fuel injection.
Eric_Shea
I am sorry you guys I love carbs as my six came with them and have no problem tuning them.

agree.gif I'm with the 2012 honorary "That Guy". My car was engineered to have carbs. Can't say I have "no problem tuning them" though... biggrin.gif Thanks Brant for the meter. Off to the Dyno next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSbm4dbqB0E
Madswede
It's been my observation that for those who like to work on their cars carb's may or may not be the way to go depending on preference for how much time one is willing to spend (given the cost of course) on learning to work on FI as opposed to carbs. For drivers who don't work on their cars as much (like Wills and me), I'd say the choice is extremely obvious. biggrin.gif

Plus, high-end distributorless EFI is just dead sexy engineering pr0n!
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 18 2012, 10:20 AM) *

happy11.gif

Been running them for years. Webers on the 914 (44s before, now 40s) and SUs on the Volvo. Not sure what you're referring to. I do clean them from time to time, but it's part of my routine.
Drums66
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 18 2012, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 18 2012, 10:20 AM) *

happy11.gif

Been running them for years. Webers on the 914 (44s before, now 40s) and SUs on the Volvo. Not sure what you're referring to. I do clean them from time to time, but it's part of my routine.

.....Prudent Kaos,......it better be!(routine maintenance)
idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 18 2012, 12:49 PM) *

I am sorry you guys I love carbs as my six came with them and have no problem tuning them.

agree.gif I'm with the 2012 honorary "That Guy". My car was engineered to have carbs. Can't say I have "no problem tuning them" though... biggrin.gif Thanks Brant for the meter. Off to the Dyno next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSbm4dbqB0E

My six came with injection.. aka Mechanical Fuel Injection.

It sounds really mean!!!!
Eric_Shea
My six came with injection.. aka Mechanical Fuel Injection.

It did? 916? 911 get's the MFI this fall. Didn't come with it though... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.