Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How fast is your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jersey914
I would be interested to hear how fast everybody's 914's are. Please include any information you can about your car. ie. Motor size, tranny, fuel setup, stock, track setup etc.

Pictures are welcome! I would especially love to hear from the admins and all you 914 aficionados.

piratenanner.gif
r3dplanet
I've clocked a 0-60 time around nine seconds. Beat that, suckers!
iamchappy
Sometimes i think it's to fast......
Eric_Shea
Where's Elf when you need him?? confused24.gif
Maltese Falcon
It's really not a fast car....more like a slow jet.
The last chp cruiser that I slowed down for, actually thanked me for stopping.
I think the Bell jet ranger following me was the deal breaker.
Marty
ezbngreen914
About 69,900 MPH*...

*relative to the sun. Owners of cars on jack stands will be happy to know that in this case their cars are actually faster 50% of the time... poke.gif
VaccaRabite
I tend to drive slow.
I'm boring that way.

But I got my 2056 up to 95 according to my GPS. It felt like it had a lot left to give, but I did not want the ticket so I backed off and resumed my somewhat plodding pace.

Following Mike in his 3.2 6 superbus from York to Hershey late at night a few aprils back, he set the pace. At times it was quick, but my speedo lies and I did not have the GPS on for real speedo action.

Zach
pcar916
Hmmm. Fast enough to get me out of trouble faster'n I got into it, not that I haven't made a mistake now and again. Power requires restraint, then intestinal fortitude to push it to the limit again. It's a process.

But after running a 3.6L engine, a 19lb flywheel/clutch package, and short gears for the last 12 years have showed me that, in no uncertain terms, I want more power. Oh yes.

beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
Too damn fast. Hard to control... ~400hp Turbo Rotary... Pulling it this weekend to install a 300hp Audi 1.8t... smile.gif
timothy_nd28
I got 100mph (GPS reading) a few weeks ago on the toll road. I still had plenty of go left on the accelerator pedal, however I was getting concerned with the high RPM's. If I remember correctly, it was pushing 5k.

1911 with Ljet driving.gif
majkos
well, there's this one time I manage to sneak a look at my GPS,

103, while travelin' with a bunch of teeners couple weeks back,
problem is, I'm the slow one shades.gif
SirAndy
I hit the rev limiter around 135mph. Stock 901. I would need custom gearing to go any faster than that.

0-60 is somewhere around 3.5 to 4 seconds, provided i can manage to keep the tires from spinning.
I could probably get to a reliable <3.5 seconds with custom gearing, wider tires and a limited slip.

driving.gif
Sleepin
IPB Image
messix
7500rpm in 4th gear in tony's v8 car when we smelled clutch [read my avatar]

100mph three abreast on a 2 lane freeway with 2 other teeners going to a mt baker run. 1.8 l-jet
MrLeeS
I hit the rev limiter @ 139 according to TomTom. Gets there much faster than a f150 lightning and really pisses off the motor transport officer that pulled me over.

2366 turbo 10lbs boost.
Andyrew
We'll I've maxed out 5th with 26" tires.... IIRC it was north of 140...

With the top off...

Drums66
.....Bang'n' the rev limiter around 135MPH more or less..what a feeling!!
boldblue.gif boldblue.gif stones.gif thumb3d.gif very_first_smiley[1].gif
(this has been discussed before?)
Jeffs9146
I have a rev limiter that cuts out at 6k and before I got the timing set properly I slowed down at 108 with lots of pull left!

I am running a 3.0L FI with a stock 901 and now that I have it set up, and, once I get my sway bar on I can try again!

I am going to guess that when it is maxed out at 6k it will be at about 115-120mph but I don't think I want to go any faster than that so I will leave the rev limiter in! Red line is 7K and we all know that red line is just a line!! happy11.gif
speed metal army
Faster than before!Im not sure how fast that is tho.I'll get back to ya. idea.gif
messix
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 19 2012, 10:05 PM) *

With the top off...

how did the car handle that fast with the top off... twitchy, floaty, planted?
DBCooper
An official 13.006 quarter at 107mph on a hot summer afternoon. Subaru WRX engine and transmission with Quaife, on Falken Azenis. Put on slicks to get into the 12's as the afternoon cooled and immediately broke a CV joint.
Cap'n Krusty
140 MPH with stock gearing requires the engine to be turning approximately 6400 RPM. 105 requires about 4800 RPM. Because of wind resistance and other factors, that speed just about uses up all the available HP on a flat road. Generally speaking, pretty much anything faster than that involves a lot more HP or a lot of hot air on the part of the driver.

The Cap'n
Andyrew
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 19 2012, 11:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 19 2012, 10:05 PM) *

With the top off...

how did the car handle that fast with the top off... twitchy, floaty, planted?

Floaty on decel. But I had the then GF in the car and she didnt notice anything. I wouldnt do it again without a few tweeks in the back end to create stability.

Captn,

Your top speed assumes stock tire height. With a larger tire size that speed is increased.. A 25.85" tire at 5750rpm is 140mph... At 6500 its 159...
SLITS
Fark ....

126 in my 2.0L 4 cyl by GPS

135 in my 2.7L 6 cyl .... which was plenty fast enough to be shot by the Utah State Patrol.
jimkelly
most soccer moms can leave a stock engined 914 in the dust popcorn[1].gif
Michael N
Fast enough to have the air fold the driver's side mirror back against the car. I need to take it off and tighten it all up.
pt_700
i'm suspecting the cars w/o tins (water cooled conversions) are more stable at speed.

there's a low pressure area behind the rear window. an open pathway between this and the bottom of the car (through the engine grille) allows air to be pulled from beneath the car?

i've had my stock 1.7 up to an indicated 100 (probably optimistic speedo).

what say the conversion guys about this theory? was your car more stable at speed w/o the tins?
'73-914kid
124 mph with the top off in my 4. I hit the rev-limiter HARD and it wanted to keep pulling. Done with GPS on my way back home from school late one night. Didn't notice any instability on accel, but on decel it definetely felt like it was wanting to wander and get loose.
ballioint
Mine is about to get faster....in about $10k from now....
Rockaria
Well last time I was out I was passed by a school bus and a prefab home being towed! dry.gif
balljoint
Sorry.
matthepcat
Never tried. Too worried about the CHP catching me and crushing my car for "street racing".
dwillouby
Speedo maxed , Still pulling hard. Felt very light. Got scared and backed off.

425HP V8, Regeared 901

David
Thestigz06
I was running an undersized wheel and tire setup but I got her up to 120 mph according to the speedo. How much that actually is, idk.

1.7 d-jet with 901 tranny and 195 50 15 tires
ballioint
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 20 2012, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(ballioint @ Sep 20 2012, 12:16 PM) *

dry.gif Jackass.

What? flag.gif
JmuRiz
Fast or quick? Mine currently goes 0-0 in 0seconds flat (since the motor is out of it smile.gif )

When I had my 2.0 with webers and a carb-friendly cam did an indicated 110mph flyby at the 2004 (?) ECC on Richmond's beltway.
Elliot Cannon
I respectfully refuse to answer on the grounds of the 5th amendment. flag.gif
ChrisFoley
Max speed shown was on I-81 in Virginia, on my way to MUSR11.
Click to view attachment
Shortly afterward I was stopped for going 81.

1.7L cammed & carbed.
mittelmotor
I've had mine up to about 120 at night, headlights shaking violently. My car has the stock metal front valance, and it certainly felt light, but still stable at that speed. Sorta like a speedboat getting up on plane and lifting the nose!

I think an LE-style spoiler up front would help.
balljoint
dry.gif
SUNAB914
Looks fast, sounds fast, ain't real fast!
boogie_man
I've gotten mine up to 7 mph as a rolling shell you bastardos............
euro911
Got the 'BB' up to 100 on flat ground on the way back from the 2012 Rt-66; carb'd 2056 on 195/65x15 Michelins. Final jetting still isn't dialed in, so who knows confused24.gif

Pegged the 120mph speedo with the wife's '71 (going downhill) on the 2007 Rt-66 Run; 1.7L FI on 165HR15s ... with 2 people in the car cheer.gif

ballioint
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 20 2012, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(ballioint @ Sep 20 2012, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 20 2012, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(ballioint @ Sep 20 2012, 12:16 PM) *

dry.gif Jackass.

What? flag.gif

I thought you were moving to another continent?

No, I am still incontinent. stromberg.gif
balljoint
dry.gif
ballioint
You celebrate Christmas up there and hold internet conversations with yourselves?
BajaXJ92
Jesus Herman Christ, will someone please hit Dave's reset button again, seems someone slipped some Xanax in his protein shake again. rolleyes.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Sep 20 2012, 03:52 PM) *

Jesus Herman Christ, will someone please hit Dave's reset button again, seems someone slipped some Xanax in his protein shake again. rolleyes.gif

It's not me. Look at the screen name, mine has a "j" in it. dry.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 20 2012, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Sep 20 2012, 03:52 PM) *

It's not me. Look at the screen name, mine has a "j" in it. dry.gif

Look Dave, its not our fault that apparently there was some inbreeding somewhere along in your blood line and someone slipped in a little bit of American, so to speak.

flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
jsayre914
I just got a smart phone (my first one)

wich app is best for 0-60mph (free)

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.