Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slicks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
OK...let's say I wanted to "play" with some slicks on a 3rd set of wheels, just to begin learning what they're like. (I can't at this time run them in POC competitive events for classification reasons.)

Would I want bias-ply or radials? Are there any other vendors besides Avon who make them in "appropriate" sizes for a stock-bodied 914, i.e. 7" wheel and maybe 8.5-9" section width (similar to a 205 Hoosier DOT tire)?

Thx,
ChrisFoley
I think all the mfrs went to radials some time ago.

Hoosier lists a 8 1/2" x 15" slick for a 7" wheel, in addition to the 9 1/2" cantilever slick. I am pretty sure it's still a little wider than a Hoosier 205 DOT tire. I have never seen one though.
Brad Roberts
ChrisC,

You will be hard pressed to find a slick that fits under those fenderwells. The cantilever slicks stick way the F out even though you have them on 7 inch rims.

TonyC will be along shortly and know whats available.. but I'm guessing nothing.

I cant even think of a GoodYear radial that will fit.

B
Tony C
There really isn't anything in the US that will work. Yes the Avons will fit, but that tire(in that size) is designed for a much lighter formula car.

The cantilever tires for SCCA prod cars are a bias-ply tire.

-tony
campbellcj
I suppose I should contact some of the major dealer/importers to verify the specs. I sure don't want to run a tire with half the load rating I need.

This is the Avon radial lineup I was eyeballing. There are several sizes that would fit my car, I think:

http://www.sascosports.com/products/avon/radial.htm

The Goodyear, Dunlop, Yoko and Hoosier lines are much more limited in sizes, I think.
Tony C
Chris, I would ask them about the 190/570/15 or 190/600/15 and see what they are designed for.

The problem is that in the US none of the racing classes allow slicks in the size that you want/need so there is no demand here for them.

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.