Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powering a light with two different sources of 12 Volt power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Possible by using two steering diodes. I believe 1N4001 diodes will support 1 amp. Should be more than enough for a small indicator lamp.
Jim, one power from relay ( black/yellow), other from fan.
Tom
jim_hoyland
I am attempting to use some of the CAT wiring to turn on the CAT light ( it's a 75 ) when the oil cooler fan comes on.

CAT light always comes on at start up, then goes out when engine is started. The CAT sensor is not Kinstalled. My thought is to use the wiring that goes from the rear trunk to the dash to indicate the fan is on.

Here's a wiring diagram of the harness in the rear trunk. There is a relay involved.

I'm also thinking it will be easier to run a wire from the fan through the tunnel and jump into the CAT light connector too.

** I previously referred to this as the EGR circuit, but was mistaken. This is the circuit found in the rear trunk with a pair of wires going to the sensor
tradisrad
If the EGR indicator is nonfunctional disconnect its wire from the dash and attach your fan wire.

I installed an LED into my oil temp gauge to indicate when my fan is on.
Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
Had me baffled for a moment, then I decided you meant "EGR", not "ERG". Since you no longer have an EGR, why not just wire the light directly to the source you'll be monitoring?

The Cap'n
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Sep 22 2012, 04:08 PM) *

If the EGR indicator is nonfunctional disconnect its wire from the dash and attach your fan wire.

I installed an LED into my oil temp gauge to indicate when my fan is on.
Click to view attachment

I like that better. What's involved in drilling the hole...
tradisrad
I bought the LED at Frys Electronics. I was sure to get an LED with a bezel. I took the gauge apart and drilled the hole by hand (it came out a little lower than I wanted). The needle clears the LED. I used a variable resistor on the LED to control the brightness .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 22 2012, 12:48 PM) *

Possible by using two steering diodes. I believe 1N4001 diodes will support 1 amp. Should be more than enough for a small indicator lamp.
Jim, one power from relay ( black/yellow), other from fan.
Tom

Are you making 1 idiot light illuminate from 2 sources? It's a little unclear, your intentions. If so I agree with your simple schematic. smile.gif

I did this same thing with my custom EFI system. Various signals can turn on the "check engine" light.
Tom
Mike,
Yes, two different power sources to light one lamp. It is for Jim in post 2.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.