Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New/Rebuilt Turn/Wiper Switch Assemblies Available?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gollygwagen
Mine isn't self canceling and just has some age, are there replacements I can switch out or is this a used part only? I could work on this one, but figured I would ask first.
Valy
QUOTE(gollygwagen @ Sep 24 2012, 03:35 PM) *

Mine isn't self canceling and just has some age, are there replacements I can switch out or is this a used part only? I could work on this one, but figured I would ask first.

There are new reproduction available and some very expensive NOS ones.
However, non working canceletion is usually related to a missing or missaligned cancel ring on the steering wheel, especially if you have an aftermarket wheel.
Valy
Check cip1.com for the reproduction ones.
euro911
$23. at AZ Autohaus. Verify if you have a 9-pin connector. If so, this should work:

111953513F Meyle Turn Signal Switch; With Dimmer Switch; 9 Pin Plug Connection. Click Here

Look around for some other stuff while there ... free shipping on orders over $50. ... and no tax smile.gif

I just ordered some Toyota parts from AZ yesterday and totally forgot that I need a supply of T4 valve cover gaskets headbang.gif
Elliot Cannon
About 8 years ago, I replaced mine with a new unit for a 924. (With some modifications). Works great.
gollygwagen
Thanks everyone, I'll snap a couple pictures now that I'm back in town. Good stuff on the Autohaus parts, I'll confirm it will work with my piece.
gollygwagen
Here's what I took out. I'm counting 9 pins, so I'll try one of the other ones and see if I can get it to work. Hopefully it's pretty obvious how it all comes appart, I didn't look too closely.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

gothspeed
Good thread .... popcorn[1].gif ....... I'll be needing to do this soon ..... pending info learned here ... smile.gif

Edit: ..... I have the same year 914 1.7 so this will be good info!
gollygwagen
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Sep 27 2012, 11:21 AM) *

Good thread .... popcorn[1].gif ....... I'll be needing to do this soon ..... pending info learned here ... smile.gif

I ordered the one from Autohaus AZ. They don't list it under 914, so it must be for something else but it looks like it will work. I'll post my experience once I get it.
mburkhart
I'm curious if there's a replacement for the copper horn contact on the top of the turn signal assembly? Mine has worn holes through the copper and now I hear the steering wheel grinding as it spins against the worn contact.
euro911
QUOTE(gollygwagen @ Sep 27 2012, 10:25 AM) *
I ordered the one from Autohaus AZ. They don't list it under 914, so it must be for something else but it looks like it will work. I'll post my experience once I get it.
It's for a 73 Beetle sedan.

QUOTE(mburkhart @ Sep 27 2012, 05:44 PM) *
I'm curious if there's a replacement for the copper horn contact on the top of the turn signal assembly? Mine has worn holes through the copper and now I hear the steering wheel grinding as it spins against the worn contact.
You might try posting a WTB in the classifieds ...
914Sixer
Whole assembly has to be replaced when contacts wear through
euro911
gollygwagen
Got the new part and replaced it. It's really stiff compared to the old assembly and doesn't always want to self cancel because of that. Just kinda gets stuck. High/Low headlight switch is MUCH improved too.

It's a cheap piece, and you can tell it's not near as good as OEM, but for the price I'm not complaining. Just wanted to follow up on it.
euro911
Did it come with any lube on it?
Black22
Part number you ordered and price from Autohauz AZ?
euro911
See post #4, Mike
Black22
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 4 2012, 10:22 AM) *

See post #4, Mike

Thanks Mark. I had read through the thread a while ago and just jumped to the end today! I wanted to know if it worked. Sounds like I might need one. Mine only cancels on full left or right turns, not gradual turns.

Thank you
gollygwagen
Yep, that's the one I ordered.
gothspeed
QUOTE(gollygwagen @ Oct 4 2012, 06:38 AM) *

Got the new part and replaced it. It's really stiff compared to the old assembly and doesn't always want to self cancel because of that. Just kinda gets stuck. High/Low headlight switch is MUCH improved too.

It's a cheap piece, and you can tell it's not near as good as OEM, but for the price I'm not complaining. Just wanted to follow up on it.

Cool! thanks for the followup and info on the new part smile.gif
gollygwagen
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 4 2012, 05:47 PM) *

Cool! thanks for the followup and info on the new part smile.gif

To follow up further, it seems to be restricting my ability to get into the higher of the two wiper speeds and it's really stiff when signalling right and won't auto cancel even though I hear it click. The two might be related so I'll dig into it when I get back from a work trip in a couple weeks. Everything "works" just not really well. Better than it was, but not as good as it could be for sure. Turning left works fine and so does the high/low switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.