Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gear change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
have changed 3 shift bushing sliding ring's,the shifter ball socket and when changing from first to second it,s as though first gear is stuck and it makes a heavy noise getting it from first to second any one have any ideas thanks
914itis
Did you have that issue before changing the bushings?
cal914
QUOTE(914itis @ Sep 30 2012, 05:22 AM) *

Did you have that issue before changing the bushings?

yes i did but it was a bit stiffer
914itis
You may need to adjust the shifter. Here is a link for the instructions
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...fter+adjustment
underthetire
Or you could also have bad tranny mounts. Mine got much better after new mounts.
Cap'n Krusty
Is anything creating drag on the shaft? Like a broken, incorrectly installed, or wrong motor mount? Anything bent? Clutch cable tube intact? What year is your car?

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
When does your clutch disengage? At what point in pedal travel? You may need to tighten the clutch cable.
cal914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 30 2012, 07:53 AM) *

When does your clutch disengage? At what point in pedal travel? You may need to tighten the clutch cable.

the car is a 71 from second every gear is fine it,s like something holds it back from coming out of first.It seem's to get worse once its been driven for a while
Cap'n Krusty
A '71 with the original tail shifter? Or a '71 that's had a side shifter setup installed?

The Cap'n
charliew
I bet the clutch is dragging. Thats what I would guess on other cars.
Dr Evil
That is what my question was meant to tease out. Slight clutch drag will effect 1st before the others. Does it grind going into reverse?
Dr Evil
So, what happened? If it is not clutch drag, which would be easy to fix, then I fear you have a busted block inside your synchro ring. Not easy sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.