Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler torque value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brenz
Ok after searching World, Club and PP it seams the oil cooler (4-cyl. 2.0) is anywhere from “tight”, 5 ft-lbs, 11 ft-lbs and even 18 ft-lbs.

I changed my seals (engine is out), put the washers on the proper order, and it will torque to about 9 ft-lbs maybe and after that just keeps squashing the seal. Haynes book says not to squash the seal (I guess the hole closes up and restricts the oil flow).

brenz
QUOTE(brenz @ Oct 1 2012, 11:17 AM) *

Ok after searching World, Club and PP it seams the oil cooler (4-cyl. 2.0) is anywhere from “tight”, 5 ft-lbs, 11 ft-lbs and even 18 ft-lbs.

I changed my seals (engine is out), put the washers on the proper order, and it will torque to about 9 ft-lbs maybe and after that just keeps squashing the seal. Haynes book says not to squash the seal (I guess the hole closes up and restricts the oil flow).

Nobody... Am I over-thinking this??
Engine's going back in soon and I'm just trying to avoid any hang-ups.
Mike Bellis
Maybe you can find it at http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
sfrenck
Bump....
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(brenz @ Oct 1 2012, 06:52 PM) *

... Am I over-thinking this??

Yes, you are overthinking it.
The cooler makes metal on metal contact around the studs, so you won't crush the seals.
Just tighten with a 1/4" drive ratchet or 10mm box wrench - no need to put a torque wrench on the nuts.
McMark
What Chris said.

agree.gif
brenz
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 2 2012, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(brenz @ Oct 1 2012, 06:52 PM) *

... Am I over-thinking this??

Yes, you are overthinking it.
The cooler makes metal on metal contact around the studs, so you won't crush the seals.
Just tighten with a 1/4" drive ratchet or 10mm box wrench - no need to put a torque wrench on the nuts.

That's the explanation I needed. Thanks Chris! biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
One of the manuals, I think it's the Haynes, says to put the thick washers on before the cooler, which is WRONG and will make the cooler pee oil. Put the cooler on, the washers and then the nuts.

(where's the 1st hand experience or BTDT smilie???)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.