Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: short ram
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GreatPumpkin
has anyone removed the stock air box on a 2.0 engine and replaced it with a short ram air intake? if so what do you do with the vacuum hoses so that they hold a vacuum. is there a tube that you can buy to hook them up to the intake system? will this even be beneficial?
wingnut86
I just sold mine to another member.

I originally purchased it from Automotion I believe blink.gif

The Cold Air version with a large K&N filter on the end.

The pipe made a basic 180° turn back to the intake or in this case the Throttle Body itself.

there were 3 vacuum fittings installed along the length after the filter - allowed the build up of incoming air prior to TB and created the vacuum.

I am in no way an expert on cyclonic air movement across an oriface, but I had a girlfriend once who... beer.gif

Good Luck,

Dave
Jeffs9146
I am in no way an expert on cyclonic air movement across an oriface, but I had a girlfriend once who...

I thought you were going for the "I am in no way an expert on cyclonic air movement across an oriface, but I did sleep at a holiday inn express last night"! shades.gif

GreatPumpkin
any idea what size the TB fitting should be ? and would it be beneficial to do this instead of having the stock air box? or does anyone know where i could get one of these pipes?
GreatPumpkin
so i cant find a pipe with 3 vacuum hose fittings . if i use one with two fittings could i use an adaptor to connect two hoses to one fitting?
wingnut86
I bought mine here almost 2 years ago. They look a whole lot different now, and the prices have doubled. But, very nice biggrin.gif

http://m.9xauto.com/site/1064372/home?url=...14-FI-%2FDetail

Maltese Falcon
You can get a high flow , serviceable cone filter with 4 vent barbs from msdsinc.
Or pick it up through Auto Atlanta. It is complete with a mandrel bent , nickel plated ram tube.
See it at the msdsinc.com site, in the projects section- 914 2.0 track car.
Less than $150.00
Marty
John
I don't believe that you will see any benefit other than looks.
Dave_Darling
Everything "upstream" of the throttle body is at ambient pressure. They're not at any particular level of vacuum. So you can join together all of the hoses that used to connect to the air cleaner with no penalty, just make sure the join and its source are big enough to flow the air needed.

AFAIK, the only real gain would be from moving the air intake to a cooler spot than the middle of the engine bay. Demick Boyden did a study on intake temps a while ago. He built an intake snorkel for his 2.0 from downspout material (Home Depot race engineering!) but then decided you could get most of the benefit of that simply by turning the intake around so it drew from the side of the engine bay.

--DD
GreatPumpkin
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
McMark
Dave's right. Here's Demicks Research.

This is NOT the same as the hokey PVC piping with a K&N cone filter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.