Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: 914 for autox/de/fun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Hey everyone,

A few months ago something sparked an interest in 914s. Ever since i've been doing a lot of reading and browsing on the web about anything and everything 914 related. I've gathered up enough money to buy my first 914. The obivious problem is finding one. I'm an avid autocrosser in the NNJR and MetroNY region so i've spoken with several owners. I got a chance to drive a fairly stock '73 2.0... it was like nothing i've ever experienced. tongue.gif Basic suspension work and sticky tires can easily glue your passenger's face to the side window. I loved it.

I'm basically looking for a 2.0 in good condition, little rust.. etc etc. Ideally someone who has converted the car(2.7-3.6L), started a restoration, getting out of the racing scene, etc. Price range in under $5k. Upgraded suspension, brakes, body work and engine would be nice but not required. My brother and I maintain his '89 951(Adrial from Rennlist) so labor costs should be close to nothing. I've got some time on my hand being that I'm set to graduate from Rutgers in a week beerchug.gif I've completed about 16 autocrosses over the past year and one DE(Pocono south) to date. Since summer is here I feel it is the best time to enjoy a 914.

So if anyone knows of a car that might interest me please reply or send me an email, yarin@eden.rutgers.edu . Any common tips and pointers would be most appreciated. I look forward to joining your community. --Yarin
Brad Roberts
Welcome !!

I know we have a lot of Northeast 914 people that hang out on this board. It shouldnt be problem helping you locate a decent car quickly.

Congrats on your graduation clap56.gif

B
Gint
Welcome Yarin And congrats on both counts. Watch the classifieds on this site. You might also be on the lookout on Pelican and rennlist Classifieds sites.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(yarin @ May 13 2003, 11:25 PM)
Hey everyone,

A few months ago something sparked an interest in 914s. Ever since i've been doing a lot of reading and browsing on the web about anything and everything 914 related. I've gathered up enough money to buy my first 914.

I'm basically looking for a 2.0 in good condition, little rust.. etc etc. Ideally someone who has converted the car(2.7-3.6L), started a restoration, getting out of the racing scene, etc. Price range in under $5k. Upgraded suspension, brakes, body work and engine would be nice but not required.

Welcome Yarin!

For 5K you should be able to find a decent 2.0L car with no rust issues, but unless you really luck out forget the six upgrades. If you can't find a local car in the condition you want. look at getting a California car and bringing it back to the East Coast. Some of the posters in this BBS will "find" a car for you if you ask 'em.
Geoff
yarin
Thanks! I've been checking most of the sites for the past few weeks... more seriously as of a little while ago though. I'm considering a West coast car, depends what is out there. ... still looking. mueba.gif
dmilzoff
I am local to you (Westchester) and have my 914-6 in the shop with an eye toward AX this summer. My mechanic drives a 914 and also has a 914 V-8 Conversion. I will speak to him today about a car for sale. I am going to the AX training with Metro PCA May 31 with my 914-6. Will you be there?
dmilzoff@usa.net
bander
I drove my car 2000 miles the day I bought it (and the day after). Denver to Boston in 36 hours. Its a great way to bond to your new car.

Look west.
brant
dmilzoff,

I know this is off topic...
my wife is from croton on the hudson, and my brother in law lives in ossining. I've been visiting ossining a couple of years now.. Beautiful Area...

I always drive past the hudson wire company and day dream.

cool. take care
brant
yarin
QUOTE(dmilzoff @ May 15 2003, 02:34 AM)
I am local to you (Westchester) and have my 914-6 in the shop with an eye toward AX this summer. My mechanic drives a 914 and also has a 914 V-8 Conversion. I will speak to him today about a car for sale. I am going to the AX training with Metro PCA May 31 with my 914-6. Will you be there?
dmilzoff@usa.net

My brother and I attend almost every MetroNY and NNJR AutoX. I might be at the school, not sure yet. I'll be at the Nassau event June 1st. I'd love to see a 6. Thanks for the inquiry!! Hope to see you next week. I'll be in the white 944 turbo S.
mskala
Yarin, there's no cars over here biggrin.gif Just kidding,
way over in the east it is a chore to find a good
car, because rust ate most of them and the rest
are owned by 914 lifers and aren't for sale mostly.

Not that these are super close to you, but you
can check the classifieds of NH and MA regions.
NER web site
NCR web site

I recently met one guy around here who found a
non-rusty car cheap, you CAN get lucky if you look
in strange places. But if you are looking 'right away'
and need selection then going out west might be
your best bet. I had to drive to Columbus, OH to
get my six.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
joea9146
You can find cars in our area but it will take a while and
you need to be careful for hidden rust. I would give
Perry a call at the 914 Network he is in TN a little
closer than going all the way to the West Coast
see what he has available. 731-847-9146

Good Luck.... take your time MDB2.gif
www.aircooledracing.net

Ask for Steve. Im not affiliated in any way, just know that he has a few interesting cars that are not rusty.

Good luck. Bill J.
yarin
Thanks for all your replies...

the search continues beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.