Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusty Orig Six on the SAMBA....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
Not mine btw...

Nice patina car !

So sad to see these poor cars get so bad...

Add the vin to the data base! I do not see it. 9140430894

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1368956
Mike Bellis
I would consider that beyond repair. It will take way more $$$ in metal work than it is worth.

Maybe AA can use it for a VIN swap... happy11.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
porbmw
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 3 2012, 08:17 PM) *

I would consider that beyond repair. It will take way more $$$ in metal work than it is worth.

Maybe AA can use it for a VIN swap... happy11.gif

It's going to have rust everywhere sad.gif

And SOMEONE will fix it biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
Maybe AA can use it for a VIN swap...

Now was that really called for? Grow up!
brant
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Oct 3 2012, 09:21 PM) *

Maybe AA can use it for a VIN swap...

Now was that really called for? Grow up!

its an infamous (but truthful) moment in history
like naughahyde, or the famous prison break sketch...
its our history and culture of the site.
914itis
The word "rusty " is mentioned 18 times . Did I say rusty?
hot_shoe914
Scotty can fix it! smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
pete000
Probably end up on a boat to Germany...They seem to like the cheap rusty ones...

Might be fun to just get it running like a top and roll it all rusty like the VW guys do with the old buses and bugs.

As long as it doesn't break in half !
914itis
I think mentioning the famous 914 word so much is just a disclaimer that it will break In half! Move it at your own risk
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 3 2012, 08:17 PM) *

This is not the first time i said this (and was proven right several years later), so here it is again:

We *will* see this car again! (to be precise, a nice car with the same VIN)
dry.gif
SirAndy
More rusty goodness ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

icon8.gif
Mike Bellis
If you replace every piece of rusty metal but the VIN survives, is it considered a VIN swap? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 3 2012, 09:31 PM) *

If you replace every piece of rusty metal but the VIN survives, is it considered a VIN swap? biggrin.gif

If you cut all the metal around the VIN, but leave the VIN in place and then add good metal from a donor car all around the VIN, is it considered a VIN swap?
shades.gif
ConeDodger
Andy, you've got a body without parts and this is parts without a body... A match made in Germany?
DonTraver
Several years ago while on a tour to the Porsche Factory, in the Classical Restoration Section they had a 914-6 that needed the complete rear half of the car replaced. They did it and a year later while on another Tour of Germany I met the guy that owned her at a hotel I was staying at. Porsche will fix any Porsche, just takes money and time.

Later, Don
rick 918-S
You guys.... screwy.gif easy peasy... sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif assimilate.gif
GaroldShaffer
If I had the extra $$ I would make him an offer and bring it home. They are only going to go up in value. Look at what rusty POS 356 tubs bring.
URY914
There is a good reason why the VIN numbers are set in a piece of aluminum.
charliew
914 vins are stamped in the metal.

Which reminds me, don't waste your money on the gas springs, mine have already given up and I never drove the car. The trunks have been setting closed. I don't think they held the trunks up 30 minutes in their life span.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2012, 11:01 PM) *
Andy, you've got a body without parts and this is parts without a body... A match made in Germany?

I have other plans with my shell ...
happy11.gif
FourBlades

Recent auction reported in this month's Classic Motorsports showed original six selling for $61,000.

I would hit that!

John
SirAndy
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 4 2012, 09:54 AM) *
Recent auction reported in this month's Classic Motorsports showed original six selling for $61,000.

I would hit that!

And that car is about $75,000 away from being worth $61,000 ...

popcorn[1].gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 4 2012, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 4 2012, 09:54 AM) *

I would hit that!

And that car is about $75,000 away from being worth $61,000 ...

popcorn[1].gif

Sounds like perfectly logical government spending biggrin.gif
veltror
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Oct 4 2012, 08:53 AM) *

Several years ago while on a tour to the Porsche Factory, in the Classical Restoration Section they had a 914-6 that needed the complete rear half of the car replaced. They did it and a year later while on another Tour of Germany I met the guy that owned her at a hotel I was staying at. Porsche will fix any Porsche, just takes money and time.

Later, Don

it is not just porsche that fixes rusty cars ask me how I know.. dry.gif
wingnut86
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 4 2012, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2012, 11:01 PM) *

I have other plans with my shell ...
happy11.gif

Barbecue or rolling wet bar? beer.gif
rick 918-S
I think the car can be repaired. Look at So-Cal Andy's car he got from Joe. It was rusted and missing the ass end. in less than a year it's coming together. If I had the money I would make the guy an offer and take it home.
FourBlades

The cost would be reasonable if you did all the work yourself.

It could take 3-4 years to do it if you worked at it part time.

Ask me how I know. smile.gif

I would fix it to have an original six not to make a profit anyway.

John
mr914
A "little" dustier than mine when I bought it.

Mine didn't seem so bad when I bought it. Till I took it apart hanged.gif hanged.gif Rhein I was in deep. Build rotisserie welder.gif and start replacing metal sawzall-smiley.gif 7 years later, I'm still at it headbang.gif

I personally would have passed on this one
SLITS
sawzall-smiley.gif

Cut it up! Junk the parts! It's only a VIN number.
somd914
And yet another car succesfully lightened for racing by Rusty's Race Shop...

But hey, anything can be repaired, it only takes time and money, well, I guess I'll have to pass on this one...
shuie
Someone like The Metal Surgeon guy could knock this out right. Probably not the best investment, but I wish I could make an offer for it as it sits
euro911
My wife would probably beat the living s#it out of me if I bought it slap.gif
sixnotfour
Here is what Kevin (Gunnar Racing) had to say about this 914-6
10K for a rusty 14-6

Guess what Boys and Girls...it won't be long (if not already) when someone will say "Thats a real steal (steel) deal"! Rust can be fixed especially on a 914....everything is available!! The car looks complete too!

If I didn't already own a few Sixer's...I swear I would buy it (I like making chicken salad outta chicken S_it anyway)....it seems to be my past time saving old Porsche's! Someone needs to buy this very sweet (RUSTY) 914-6!!

Gumby

PS by the time your done doing it....I think you will still make a profit and have a great feeling of saving another Classic Porsche.....errr ahhhhhh VW!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.