Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exhanger Repair Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
able2222
I have a pair of SS heat exchangers that are in pretty good shape with the exception of the passenger side header portion just below where they attach to the heads have moderate dents in them. I'm wondering if a muffler shop could put a exhaust expander in the pipe and press the dent out from the inside? Its only about four inches or so from the end of the header but I was concerned with bending stainless steel, would it press out or crack? Anyone tried something like this?
While I have your attention, what is the best way to clean up the pipes? I used oven cleaner on the heat exhanger shell and it looks good, what do you use to get the crud off the pipes? Wire brush? Maybe a scotch pad? Thanks for any responses.
jls914
If you use a wire brush, make sure it is a brand new brush for stainless steel. A carbon steel brush will damage the stainless steel and cause rusting. As far as the dents, I am not sure if a muffler shop can do it. Be careful not the round out the inlets. Goodluck.
jimkelly
i've used scotch pad and WD40 - then some fantastic to get the WD40 off.

if you dents are minor - i'd leave them alone.

show us some pics of what you are talking about - we love pics : )

rhodyguy
the dents in the casing will not restrict the exhaust gases. while cleaning them flush the inside of the hes prior to install. it will help with the 'oily' smell when you start warming the interior.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.