Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: firewall bushing (sideshift conv.)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
how the hell do I get the firewall bushing in....have tried a few unsuccessful things....how have you guys done it????? headbang.gif
DrifterJay
BUMP HELP ME wink.gif
JoeSharpOld
Jay: Maybe I had the wrong bushing, But I didn't have a problem. I had to put a scruew next to it to hold it still after I put it in. But it did go in.
Joe
eeyore
Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot water.

Then find a 1/2 drive socket the same size as the bushing. Stick a very short extension or 3/8 to 1/2 convertor into the socket. Put bushing on extension as a guide, then hammer in.
Demick
As suggested, just put it in a cup of hot water for a minute or two. This will soften up the bushing and you will just be able to pop it in there. No hammering needed. Goes in like butter.

Demick
SirAndy
agree.gif put it in a cup of water and throw it in the microwave for a minute.
it'll be soft like butter ...

cool.gif Andy
Mueller
I've never done the hot water trick, but I've cut them to mimic a nyliner bearing:
Demick
Oh - and just in case it isn't obvious, don't try and insert the bushing over the shift rod and into position. Push the shift rod forward into the center tunnel. Install the bushing, and then from inside the car slide the shift rod back into the bushing.

Demick
sj914
check this thread out.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...irewall+bushing
SLITS
Grease, socket and BFH - take the shift rod out! The microwave/hotwater sounds a little less messy tho smile.gif
rhcb914
I have never had luck trying to hammer or force it in.......hmmm that didn't exactly come out right but anyway....

The way I got mine in was to take a long threaded rod with a nut and large washer on one end. Place the bushing against the washer then slide the end with the busing through the firewall hole then prop the other end against the engine mounting bar. Tighten the nut until the bushing pops in place.

Works for me every time....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.