Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rpm vrs speed question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
ok i cant seem to find it :

does any body know what 5 th gear and 7 k rpm will be, with stock tranny and tire size

IIRC my car at 5200 rpm is doing about 105 indicated but that were it decides it wont go faster ( roof off ), and when i get the 2.5 suby going i think it should have the power to redline in 5 th. not that will ever do this more than once just to confim speedo readings rolleyes.gif

thanks

scott t
SLITS
Do it yourself on the net:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

With a 25.4" rolling diameter, 4.43 final drive with an 0.71 overdrive (results in a 3.145 final) @ 7000 rpm you would be doing 168.256 MPH -
Demick
Of course, this all assumes that your tach and/or speedo are accurate. And if you have stock gauges - neither is very accurate. Most tach's read high. Most speedo's read as much as 10% high even with stock gearing and tire size.

Demick
scotty914
well my tach has always been with in 1 or 2 hundred rpm and my speedo is dead on while crusing ( gps ) but whats funny is an all out sprint to max speed my speedo gets wonky... at sixty it says 75 at 75 it says 90, but as soon as i stop gaining in speed it drops back to accurate

168 mph i dont think 175 hp will push it that fast but maybe a good 140 which is plenty fast for a street driver

thanks

scott t
lapuwali
at sixty it says 75 at 75 it says 90, but as soon as i stop gaining in speed it drops back to accurate

Wonky speedo cable. If it bounces below, say, 20mph, and always wavers a bit, it's definitely the cable.
scotty914
nope new cable i think it is weak return spring in the speedo, but i own a gps so who cares it lets me take people out and make em think 0 to 60 in 5 seconds, which is more like 0 to 40.... well in a year and a half hasent been faster than 1 mile an hour

scott t
SLITS
OH BTW, if you are going to try for 168, oh hell for that matter 140 in a 914, buy lots of life insurance and name me a benefactor biggrin.gif
scotty914
ok slits i will get an insurance policy and remake my will to pay to you but one warning i have more depts than property...

honestly i will take it out once to see what it can do but i will be smart about it, i will do 5 mph increases then slow 20 then back up again to 5 mph more just to be able to keep an idea of what she does off throttle before i go faster, and at any point where i think it is too loose, tight, swarvy or thing not solid i will call that max

also there is a post (some where )where people talk about how fast they have gone and several have done the 140 to 150 numbers

scott t
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.