Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tail shifter rear linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
Are the tail shifter rear linkage covers the same for both 4s and 6s....Don't know WHY they would differ, but then.....

IF so, any sources out there for a clean unmolested one...(and if they different, any soucrecs for one going to a 6?

Thanks

Paul
gms
QUOTE(porbmw @ Oct 22 2012, 03:06 PM) *

Are the tail shifter rear linkage covers the same for both 4s and 6s....Don't know WHY they would differ, but then.....

IF so, any sources out there for a clean unmolested one...(and if they different, any soucrecs for one going to a 6?

Thanks

Paul

The 4 and 6 rear transmission covers are different (as well as the linkage)
porbmw
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 22 2012, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(porbmw @ Oct 22 2012, 03:06 PM) *

Thanks

Paul

The 4 and 6 rear transmission covers are different (as well as the linkage)

Thanks.

That pretty well figures....

Maybe I'd better ask this.....

Original 6 tranny, courtesy of T.C., with sideshift conversion courtesy of the good Dr. Evil....

Still need cover for a 6????
toolguy
The six cover is taller, no way to make a 4 fit on a 6 linkage. . They are extremely hard to find, and no such thing as a new one from Porsche anymore. . I had the factory do a search in 2011 and there are none anywhere in any dealers stock. . .

I finally found one after a year long search, it came off a 6 tailshifter that the owner converted to side shift. .

George at AA was going to make a repop a year ago and he never got enough orders to make the mold worth the cost. . IIRC, he was going to charge $100 a copy. . When you could get them 10 years ago they were less than $50 for a new one
porbmw
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 22 2012, 05:31 PM) *

OOOPs

poke.gif
I"m a thinkin' and a hopin you may have answered my question....!
beerchug.gif
GeorgeRud
Actually, I can't think of any reason to not simply convert any 914 Trans to a side shifter if that's an option. I replaced the original transmission in my -6 with one, and the shifting is definitely nicer and tighter. Of course, I kept the original parts for originality purposes, but the side shifter is nicer.

The original -4 transmission had somewhat of a monkey motion linkage in my opinion. Later designs made more sense.
rudedude
Does the side shift linkage interfere in any way with stock six heat exchangers or anything else?
Thanks
GeorgeRud
I have factory heat exchangers on both of my cars ( one a 914 side shifter, and the other a vellios 915), and there were no interference problems on either.
gms
QUOTE(rudedude @ Oct 23 2012, 01:03 PM) *

Does the side shift linkage interfere in any way with stock six heat exchangers or anything else?
Thanks

I had to alter the stock 4 rear linkage piece to work around a 6 exhaust.
porbmw
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 25 2012, 07:09 AM) *

QUOTE(rudedude @ Oct 23 2012, 01:03 PM) *

Thanks

I had to alter the stock 4 rear linkage piece to work around a 6 exhaust.

Even if I ask, guess it won't make much difference, will still have to deal with it...but ...

Was the 6 exhaust stock/heat exchangers....or headers....
brant
on my 6 with headers and a side shift....

the shift bar can literally be straight
this eliminates the curves of a stock -4 side shift bar that lead to more flex

it makes sense to produce a new bar with the optimum (or zero if you can) number of curves...

porbmw
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 25 2012, 10:41 AM) *

on my 6 with headers and a side shift....

the shift bar can literally be straight
this eliminates the curves of a stock -4 side shift bar that lead to more flex

it makes sense to produce a new bar with the optimum (or zero if you can) number of curves...

Makes sense, and will be done when I get there...trying to get a bunch of ducks in a row.

Thanks
Eric_Shea
Paul, use the side shift and get a used sideshift cover. You will have to stand off your -6 exhaust mount about 1" but otherwise, it's a clean install.

Brant's correct. I used a straight linkage rod. With the Rennshift Level III kit below and factory HE's I had a little issue back by the tranny console but, I think my HE's were bent a tad.

The -6 linkage is better than the -4 linkage and the sideshift linkage is better than the -6 linkage. My "stock" shift lever is "very" notchy and precise now.
porbmw
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 25 2012, 06:24 PM) *

Paul, use the side shift and get a used sideshift cover. You will have to stand off your -6 exhaust mount about 1" but otherwise, it's a clean install.

Brant's correct. I used a straight linkage rod. With the Rennshift Level III kit below and factory HE's I had a little issue back by the tranny console but, I think my HE's were bent a tad.

The -6 linkage is better than the -4 linkage and the sideshift linkage is better than the -6 linkage. My "stock" shift lever is "very" notchy and precise now.

I was pretty happy with the stock 6 shift....can't wait to see how this will turn out.
Thanks for all the help!
smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
Here's where I ran into issues...

It's not the pipe that's clearly visable in this shot, it's the middle pipe that's kind of darker behind it:
IPB Image

Again, I think my HE's were tweaked a bit but this was an easy fix with an acetolyne torch.

I would encourage you to find something similar here:
IPB Image

I believe James is no longer making these but, my assumptions were confirmed upon the first drive. The linkage is where 80% of the slop is (if not more). I needed to keep a stock shift console for the hand throttle and appearance in my build. I used a weltmeister SS kit and the Rennshift stuff down below.

IPB Image
brant
Here is ours... a straight-hollow-cromoly bar with twin apex joints.
the shifter inside is an AJRS special

we literally cut an ear off of a second housing and tig'd it onto this shift housing to make a double support for the longer linkage. the brass bushings are custom reamed to fit.

cover not pictured, but we made one similar to Eric's

you can also see we have a custom extended cup bushing holder... basically all of it is custom. a hand machined delrin firewall bushing too....
Dr Evil
I probably have a /6 cone if you are interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.