Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new clutch disk...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hine62
I need to put a new clutch disk in my 914. Can I just upgrade to the 911 six spring or do I need to replace the pressure plate also? (Bearing will be replaced too.)

Hine62
76-914
any self respecting mechanic is going to R&R them as a unit. And I don't blame them. Recalls are a bitch. That being said I did it. In fact, I done worser than that. I put a used disc in my white one 3 yr's ago. Then again I don't horse my clutch. I drive my car hard but I don't need much from a disc in an 88hp 2000lb car. beerchug.gif
mr914
Depends on the usage, and how good of a driver you are..

I've been using the same pressure plate for20 years...

Seem to go thru more core motors than clutches... W/ 2-4 track days per yer

Look for wear, grooving on the p plate blur hot spots on the clutch or pplate

Then it's a matter of, if you fix it yourself smash.gif or pay someone else...

If you are a checkbook jockey, Payton put the whole kit in.

You do it yourself... Think, it only takes a couple of hours to swap one out

That is, if you know what you are doing and you don't have to DPO...
Hine62
My dad's a mechanic and said just replace the disc. Can I upgrade to the six spring 911 disk? money is going to be tight because of the hell hole repair that is being done soon... sad.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(Hine62 @ Oct 22 2012, 03:08 PM) *

My dad's a mechanic and said just replace the disc. Can I upgrade to the six spring 911 disk? money is going to be tight because of the hell hole repair that is being done soon... sad.gif

I have installed a used pressure plate before... wont do that again.

Last 2 times I have ordered "914" discs they have showed up with 6 springs
rhodyguy
add a new throwout arm pivot clip, the ball cup bushing(recessed in the throwout arm), and the 2 plastic throwout bearing retaining pieces to your parts list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.