Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Install a Side Window.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bulitt
I am replacing my passenger side window and could not find a tech article on this so thought I would document it. I will probably need this info again in about a year as my short term memory is shot... biggrin.gif

1973 with new style regulator.
You will need a phillips head screw driver, 4mm hex wrench, 10mm and 13mm sockets. Propane torch or heat gun. 3m Window urethane. latex gloves, masking tape, acetone or adhesive remover, popsicle stick or plastic spreader.
Make sure you wear safety glasses and gloves. Even though this is tempered glass it is still very sharp!

Start by pulling the rubber cover off the window crank. Then remove screw from crank and remove crank.
Click to view attachment

Remove door latch cover screw. Slide plastic cover off latch.
Click to view attachment

Remove three screws along bottom of arm rest. Then slide arm rest forward and down to remove.
Click to view attachment

Remove three hex head screws with 4mm hex wrench from arm rest. You can see in this picture how the lower portion of the arm rest must be slid forward to remove or the plastic arms will break off. (someone broke the front one).
Click to view attachment

Remove the 4mm hex screw from top of door handle. Remove arm rest.
Click to view attachment

Gently pry plastic door panel clips away from door along perimeter. Then lift door panel up and off.
Click to view attachment

Remove vapor barrier from door if it is still on.

Remove front glass lifter bracket bolt with 13mm socket.
Click to view attachment

Slide rear actuator arm slider off glass lifter bracket.

Remove glass lifter bracket from door.- (note- if your window is intact you will need to remove the front guide/vent window first to be able to remove the intact window/bracket).
Click to view attachment

As you can see the bracket has some broken glass remaining in the channel- glued in with urethane.
Click to view attachment

To remove this glass and urethane heat sides with heat gun or propane torch.
Click to view attachment

Pry up the urethane and it should come right out with the remaining glass. As you can see this glass was installed using a urethane channel approx 1/16" thick on each side. Easier for the manufacturer to assemble the glass and lifter than using squeeze urethane.
Click to view attachment

Next clean out the bracket channel with 3m adhesive remover, or heat and scrape, or bead blast.

Once the channel is clean it is time to install the new glass panel.

On the glass measure 4-3/16" from the front edge (measured along the bottom edge of the glass!). Place tape on this mark. This will locate the front of the glass lifter bracket. (ok, this may differ for early style regulators and even on late cars. You may have to measure off the other window)
Click to view attachment

Place the bracket on the glass and tape around it on both side of the glass. This will keep the urethane from getting on the glass where you don't want it.
Click to view attachment

When you install the glass into the bracket you will need to have urethane on both sides and bottom of the glass. Remember the U-channel shape you removed. This needs to be duplicated. To do so I taped spacers (18ga. wire) to each side of the glass. Trial fit the bracket to make sure it slides over the spacers. Cut 1/4" off the same wire and drop into the bottom of the channel- it will stay there to leave room for the urethane on the bottom.
Click to view attachment

I used 3m Urethane Window Weld. Comes in a tube which fits standard size caulk guns. 3m site says you have about 10-15 minutes before set up. Warm the tube prior because the product is heavy and it will flow easier when warm. Purchased this at the local FLAPS @ 24$. Summit sells it for @17$
Click to view attachment

Check the expiration date on top-
Click to view attachment

Put it into the gun, puncture the top, screw on the nozzle and trim allowing a 1/4" hole in nozzle.
Click to view attachment

Put your latex gloves on.
Clean the glass surface with 3m adhesive remover or acetone.
This stuff is very sticky and difficult to remove-read the warning on the container.
Squeeze a good size bead into the bottom of the bracket.
Squeeze beads on both sides of the glass thicker than the spacers. You have plenty of product here...plenty.
Smooth the beads on the glass but keep it thick- you want it to squish out.
Make sure you have the front edge of the glass oriented to the front of the bracket (don't install it backwards).
Slide the bracket onto the glass aligning the front of the bracket on your 4-3/16" mark. Make sure the spacers go into the bracket.
Click to view attachment

Push the glass down into the bracket channel. Make sure it bottoms out.
Gently remove the wire spacers.
Squeeze some urethane into the wire spacer holes.
Take you popsicle stick or spreader, remove excess urethane and smooth the urethane around the bracket edges. Make sure there are no holes.
Gently remove the masking tape.
Clean off any urethane you don't want on the glass with 3m adhesive remover or acetone.

Set the window aside in a vertical position with the weight of the glass bearing down on the bracket. It needs to cure for a minimum of 24 hours (24-48hrs per the 3m site).
bulitt
Good time to address any dirt or rust in your door wells and make sure the drains are open.

Remove the front vent window and channel.
Three 10mm bolts on top and one adjuster screw on bottom.
Remove the adjuster screw lock bolt (13mm) then screw the adjuster all the way in with a flat head screwdriver. Count the turns.
Reach in the door opening and gently push the bottom of the vent window channel towards the exterior of the door.
Pull the vent window and channel up until you can remove the adjuster screw from the channel.
Pull the vent window and channel out of the door.
Click to view attachment

Now slide your door window and lifter bracket down into the door from the opening in
the top front. Don't scratch it!
Click to view attachment

Gently work the window towards the back until it is inside the door.
Lower the regulator until the sliders are visible in the lower door opening.
Slide the rear regulator bushing into the rear door lifter bracket.
Click to view attachment

Push the rear edge of the window into the felt channel in the rear door window channel.
Now attach the front regulator bracket to the door lifter bracket with the 13mm bolt.
Click to view attachment

Grease the lifter channel and lubricate the regulator pivots.

Slide the vent window and channel down into the door making sure it slides over the window glass. Before it gets to the bottom re-install the adjusting screw. Screw all the way in.
Now lower the vent window so the adjuster screw is visible in the adjuster hole (bottom of door).

Install the vent window gaskets and any other gaskets that may have moved.
Make sure the window resides in the front and rear channels.
Roll the window up and down and adjust the height with the regulator screw
Click to view attachment

Screw the adjuster screw out (remember you counted the turns). Shut the door and adjust the window height. Adjust the vent window in/out angle with the adjuster screw. Put the lock nut back on the adjuster screw.

Put the door back together! Woo Hoo!
wingnut86
first.gif

Excellent Thread...
Griffinroydonald
Glad the window worked out for you bye1.gif
euro911
I need to do this on a couple of cars. Thanks.

... and, this needs to go into the classics smile.gif
Olympic 914
Yeah I know its an old thread.... But I'm doing this now and needed to know the order of putting things back together.

And I used the SEARCH function.

First I put in the front track with quarterwindow and got it lined up pretty good. Now it looks like I have to take it back out again. hissyfit.gif

So I guess the correct order for installing the windows is

1. Put the rear channel in.

2. install the window regulator

3. install the window

4. THEN put the front track with the quarter window.

Sound good so far? confused24.gif

I already have the aluminum strip and outer side fuzzy installed at the top of the door, can I wait to install the inner fuzzy? Seems like it would be easier to get the window down there without it in. and it just pushes on.

Am I missing any important steps? Want to avoid having to back up again...

BTW mine is a 73 with the late window mechanism like the OP
Olympic 914
Edit, Double post.
jmitro
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ May 25 2017, 03:21 PM) *

Yeah I know its an old thread.... But I'm doing this now and needed to know the order of putting things back together.

And I used the SEARCH function.

First I put in the front track with quarterwindow and got it lined up pretty good. Now it looks like I have to take it back out again. hissyfit.gif

So I guess the correct order for installing the windows is

1. Put the rear channel in.

2. install the window regulator

3. install the window

4. THEN put the front track with the quarter window.

Sound good so far? confused24.gif

I already have the aluminum strip and outer side fuzzy installed at the top of the door, can I wait to install the inner fuzzy? Seems like it would be easier to get the window down there without it in. and it just pushes on.

Am I missing any important steps? Want to avoid having to back up again...

BTW mine is a 73 with the late window mechanism like the OP

mine is a 74. I can confirm this is the correct sequence, having just finished it. It won't work any other way; and you must have the outer window fuzzy already installed. Once the window is in, you can't get to it.
r_towle
Bob,

Can you explain that using metric terms please, I got lost in the translation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.