Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renegade 914 Seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ww914
Anyone using Renegade seats offered by Pelican Parts?
Click here
Any comments?

JoeSharp
I really liked thier seats but I couldn't get Scott to sell them to me without the logo. Even with a bribe.
Then I saw the ones from GTS. http://www.classiccarseats.com//
They make a few that fit.
Michael N
Why would there be a core charge? Do they actually use the old seat to make the new one.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Oct 23 2012, 07:42 AM) *

I really liked thier seats but I couldn't get Scott to sell them to me without the logo. Even with a bribe.
Then I saw the ones from GTS.http://www.classiccarseats.com//

Pretty stupid of them not to sell the seats without logos. I bought different seats, but would have been happy buying theirs without the logo. Their loss.

casey944
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 23 2012, 11:24 AM) *

Then I saw the ones from GTS.http://www.classiccarseats.com//

Pretty stupid of them not to sell the seats without logos. I bought different seats, but would have been happy buying theirs without the logo. Their loss.

My GTS Lemans seats were roughly the same price and made to my specs. Pass.
sean_v8_914
its a real 914 seat with added aluminum "wings" . the wings are riveted onto the OEM FG shell. the attachment point is too weak and the aluminum wing is also too weak. it flexes with ease and the movement of getting in and out of this VERY deep bolster will cause it to break with daily use
sean_v8_914
ill post photos of the fix. 2 steel wrap around ribs riveted to the FG shell and the wings
epoxy the broken head rest and epoxy teh wing attachment and rivets
sean_v8_914
head rest foam block wraps around OEM wire frame. wire frame is screwed to FG shell
sean_v8_914
wing was 1 pc per side
JmuRiz
If I didn't already have some old-style Koenig seats I'd go with GTS...I didn't know about the riveted construction of the Renegades....
zonedoubt
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 23 2012, 09:04 AM) *

head rest foam block wraps around OEM wire frame. wire frame is screwed to FG shell

I wonder if they can do the whole seat in leopard print? idea.gif barf.gif
BIGKAT_83
Pretty easy to do one yourself, I made the blosters out of 3/4 plywood and secured them to the stock seat base and then covered and padded the bolsters in vinyl.
Its been almost 10 years ago and still have not done the passenger side.
Click to view attachment
speed metal army
I tried my best to get them to sell those seats without the embroidery.
No luck!
ww914

Then I saw the ones from GTS. http://www.classiccarseats.com//

Hey Joe

Thanks for the tip at classiccarseats. I really like their Watkins Glen seat. I will be checking them out.

And, thanks to everyone else who replied. What a great resource, 914world.
JoeSharp
QUOTE(ww914 @ Oct 23 2012, 06:33 PM) *
What a great resource, 914world.

I'll bet Scott does not think so.
Scott S
I will throw a (mostly) positive….

I have the renegade seats in my car. I went with the smaller bolster. They have been great and still look nearly perfect. I am 6’2+” and 290 lbs, so my seats are severely abused – even if the car is not moving!

I bought them in 2003 I think. I had tried several different seats and I simply lost too much room in the car. I had a beautiful set of Koenigs – no way I could even drive the car. This was before the GTS stuff was really known. If I recall, most of what I read back then on the GTS stuff pertained to the 911 crowd.

I liked the idea of the Renegade as they were 914 seats – not seats made for a 914 – actual 914 seats. I knew they would fit. Like most, I also was pretty turned off by the garish logo. I went back and forth with them and finally got them to do a black logo (color on color). I still don’t like it, but you cant really see it from 10 feet

I wanted a GT interior, so I had Renegade do the entire bolster in vinyl, verses just the outside. It came out great – and I think that it why my seats have aged so well. I have seen pics of split seams on the bolsters that have the fabric on the inside of the bolters - I am guessing that this is due to the increased friction when getting in and out.

I also had them remove the bump on the back of the headrest. I have a harness bar that took away probably 2” of rear travel. Removing the bump gave me full travel again. I also bought the matching 1” foam replacement cushion (with the sub belt hole) to lower myself in the car. My car is now extremely comfortable.

I am not a racer – in fact, I would say I am just a Sunday driver. But, I am a fat @ss so every corner is pretty stressful on my seats. They have worn great with absolutely no structural issues. Had the drivers side out of the car last week to adjust the shift linkage and it still seems as solid as the day I bought them.

… I just wish they would dump that logo requirement!!!!
MoveQik
Any decent upholstery shop should be able to build up your stock seats as big as you would like. I had the bolsters built up on mine. Not as big as the Renegade seat but still a nice improvement while retaining the factory look.

IPB Image

IPB Image
steuspeed
^^^ Wow! Those are nice!
Toast
I see there are a few things to be learned from this little thread...thank you gentlemen.

First of all, I asked if my office manager, Melba, would post this for me on my behalf. She agreed...but I ask that you 'gents' understand that she is just the messenger...and a really great employee of Renegade. So be nice...she really likes being a part of the 914 community.

Secondly, I see there are many that would consider a Renegade seat IF it didn't say "Renegade". For years, we figured "Sparco", "Momo", and "Recaro" could do it, so why can't we? Then, one of my best customers paid us BIG money to have his new $2000 Sparco seats redone for his converted 930 because the name "Sparco" reminded him of the little radios some of us would buy at Radio Shack when we were kids. So...if you ask nicely (ha-ha), there will be no "Renegade" on your seats.

Lastly, it is no secret that we use the existing cores supplied by our customers and build the seat as you have seen on this thread. The funny thing is, we had never had any failures to our rivet method since day one that we were aware of. Furthermore, all of us with 914's have 'our' seats and race the crap out of our cars. The only thing that I can figure is the core was brittle due to age and heat, or there was cause for breakage from a hard hit. If the seats were sent back, we probably would have found another core and fixed the issue. We have been known to do nice things for nice people! ;-) (**Toast says its because of Sean's short butt getting in and out of it all the time that it broke. teehee)

Our seats work perfectly with people that wish to use the stock back-pad without modification, that want more leg room, that desire a comfortable seat, and that don't want to monkey with changing the whole seat mounting system. I really like the tip feature of the stock seats which is maintained with our Renegade seats. The lower height is also desirable, especially when you wear a helmet. For the money, they work very well in the 914. We have many happy customers. I hope this little post (thanks Melba) will help clarify what has been said.

Thanks all for giving Renegade a chance to learn from past experiences. Now back to your normally scheduled programming!!!

Scott Mann
Owner
Renegade Hybrids
ddanque
Hi Scott, Toast and All!

Before this becomes a flame fest. These are my seats, and I had asked Sean to take a look at them. The side bolster was already broken when I acquired my car, earlier this May.

Thanks Scott, for standing behind your product, except I didn't purchase my seats directly from you. It came with my car I bought.

What happened to the driver seat? Who knows? It just happened that a question was posted and my seat was torned down for repairs.

Thank you for your time.

Denny

dwillouby
I have had my Renagade seats for several years with no problems. They still look new after these years of use. They did the logo to match the cars paint color.
David
ww914
Thanks everyone for their posts. And, Scott, thanks for stepping up and clearing any issues about the bolsters and logo attachment. I do think, with or without the logo, the Renegade seat is looking pretty good for the money, especially since you don't have to buy additional seat brackets, etc.
JStroud
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Oct 25 2012, 06:29 AM) *

They did the logo to match the cars paint color.
David

If you don't like the logo.
Well there's your answer....have them do the logo to match your paint color....just tell them your paint color is black. lol-2.gif

Jeff
Elliot Cannon
I would recommend the lower bolsters. I had the high bolsters on my drivers seat and I kept bending the left bolster down and it was difficult to get my old wide ass into the seat. biggrin.gif
andys
QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 24 2012, 05:23 PM) *

I see there are a few things to be learned from this little thread...thank you gentlemen.

First of all, I asked if my office manager, Melba, would post this for me on my behalf. She agreed...but I ask that you 'gents' understand that she is just the messenger...and a really great employee of Renegade. So be nice...she really likes being a part of the 914 community.

Secondly, I see there are many that would consider a Renegade seat IF it didn't say "Renegade". For years, we figured "Sparco", "Momo", and "Recaro" could do it, so why can't we? Then, one of my best customers paid us BIG money to have his new $2000 Sparco seats redone for his converted 930 because the name "Sparco" reminded him of the little radios some of us would buy at Radio Shack when we were kids. So...if you ask nicely (ha-ha), there will be no "Renegade" on your seats.

Lastly, it is no secret that we use the existing cores supplied by our customers and build the seat as you have seen on this thread. The funny thing is, we had never had any failures to our rivet method since day one that we were aware of. Furthermore, all of us with 914's have 'our' seats and race the crap out of our cars. The only thing that I can figure is the core was brittle due to age and heat, or there was cause for breakage from a hard hit. If the seats were sent back, we probably would have found another core and fixed the issue. We have been known to do nice things for nice people! ;-) (**Toast says its because of Sean's short butt getting in and out of it all the time that it broke. teehee)

Our seats work perfectly with people that wish to use the stock back-pad without modification, that want more leg room, that desire a comfortable seat, and that don't want to monkey with changing the whole seat mounting system. I really like the tip feature of the stock seats which is maintained with our Renegade seats. The lower height is also desirable, especially when you wear a helmet. For the money, they work very well in the 914. We have many happy customers. I hope this little post (thanks Melba) will help clarify what has been said.

Thanks all for giving Renegade a chance to learn from past experiences. Now back to your normally scheduled programming!!!

Scott Mann
Owner
Renegade Hybrids

Where on your WEB site is there information on your seats?

Andys
sean_v8_914
buns of steel
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 23 2012, 01:52 PM) *

If I didn't already have some old-style Koenig seats I'd go with GTS...I didn't know about the riveted construction of the Renegades....

+1 for vintage Koenig 914-specific race seats! piratenanner.gif
Toast
Hey Andys,
The seat options are located in the 914 SBC Chevy V8 and Alum LS Series V8 links toward the bottom of each page under the 914 links on the left side of the home page.

I agree with Elliot. ;-) But seriously, the high "Sport" seat bolster are pretty tall. Unless you plan on tracking your teener you may want to consider the short "Touring" options.

I have seen several of the paint matching logo colors. They are pretty neat. The black ones are cool too. Cant really see them until you are within feet of the car and actually looking at them.

Thanks everyone for the questions and posts. I will relay them back Scott.

toast.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.