Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front turn signal buckets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
How does one replate the inside reflective part of the buckets, to get anything approaching NOS....and what is used.

And on that note...the exterior of the buckets....how does one get them appearing close to NOS.

Thanks
Black22
QUOTE(porbmw @ Oct 23 2012, 07:21 PM) *

How does one replate the inside reflective part of the buckets, to get anything approaching NOS....and what is used.

And on that note...the exterior of the buckets....how does one get them appearing close to NOS.

Thanks

I wire brushed them and painted them with chrome rattle can.

Here is the before and after:

Click to view attachment
'73-914kid
That's what I did to my front and rear buckets/ retainers. 2 years later of daily driving through all sorts of weather, the paint has held up surprisingly well.

It's a cheap way to get nicely reflective buckets.
porbmw
QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 23 2012, 07:47 PM) *

Thanks

Click to view attachment

That actually looks remarkably good , especially for something one can do at home... beerchug.gif

Any suggestions on how to replicate the finish on the outside of the bucket?
SchantzMD
You can follow this 914World link of mine that covers the restoration/creation process,

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=174156&hl=

I ended up landing an engineering job 3 days after graduation and hence haven't had a chance to finish perfecting my PVD setup. Right now I'm hoping to get back to it around Christmas,... and to be honest I really hate the idea of putting in all that effort just to let my machine sit, lol.

Mike

Black22
QUOTE(porbmw @ Oct 23 2012, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 23 2012, 07:47 PM) *

Thanks

That actually looks remarkably good , especially for something one can do at home... beerchug.gif

Any suggestions on how to replicate the finish on the outside of the bucket?

I just did the exteriors in black. My car is not concours and is a daily driver. There is going to be water and dirt slung all around those signal buckets.

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
I did the chrome plate paint and also lined the back area with that chrome tape...shinier than the paint.
porbmw
QUOTE(SchantzMD @ Oct 23 2012, 09:33 PM) *

You can follow this 914World link of mine that covers the restoration/creation process,

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=174156&hl=

I ended up landing an engineering job 3 days after graduation and hence haven't had a chance to finish perfecting my PVD setup. Right now I'm hoping to get back to it around Christmas,... and to be honest I really hate the idea of putting in all that effort just to let my machine sit, lol.

Mike

Well
Congrats on the job!
I'd say you have a fairly captive, and attentive market, if you decide to get back into the game.
Perhaps let me/us know when you assess your status...Christmas is knocking at the door....kind of scary. sad.gif
Paul
GeorgeRud
Has anyone fitted Led lights into the front buckets? They seem much brighter in my opinion and could help with the reflectivity. If you did, which LEDs did you use, and have you been happy with the results?
Black22
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 24 2012, 05:46 PM) *

Has anyone fitted Led lights into the front buckets? They seem much brighter in my opinion and could help with the reflectivity. If you did, which LEDs did you use, and have you been happy with the results?

From what I've heard LED's have a different impedance. This screws stuff up IIRC. I think there is a thread about it.
76-914
Nice job Mike. Those look really nice. I used a chrome spray and it wasn't as shiney as yours dry.gif but interestingly enough, I cannot see any difference between the 2 sides at night idea.gif . Oh, the other side is shiny OG chrome and obviously not a satin finish like the one I sprayed. Go figure.
euro911
I sprayed the front and rear buckets on the 'BB' with silver 'chrome' rattle-can too. They are definitely more reflective than when I first got the car.

The car has pretty much been sitting outside for a few years and the buckets still look good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.