Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
patssle
I always just drop it into first before I come to a dead stop - never had a single issue. 98% of the time it goes into 1st or reverse just fine at a dead stop (when backing out of driveway and the initial takeoff or whatnot) - but that 2% of the time when it complains...easily avoided by going into first before stopping.
Ian Stott
Sometimes when you are at a long light people will slip into neutral and release the clutch, this is normal for truckers as the clutch in a tractor trailer can be quite stiff. When the clutch is released the transmission is turning; light turns green and you push in the clutch and try to engage 1st gear, if you wait a sec with the clutch pushed in, the tranny has a chance to wind down and you can slip into gear. Timing your light helps here, when you feel pressure to take off cause the light is green people have a tendancy to rush things and that is when you will grind her real good! Just finished the 3rd annual PCA New Brunswick tour, lots of twisty's and downshifting, getting 1st using above technique works everytime, a little practice and it will work for you too.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
rjames
Having this problem too on a side shifter with a newly rebuilt gearbox filled with Dino oil. Sometimes downshifting into 4th is difficult as well. I've also nicked reverse when down shifting from 3rd- thought there was a lockout to keep that from happening.

I replaced the firewall bushing- no change. Rear shift rod bushing has a decent amount play in it, but it came that way new from pelican. How tight should that bushing be?

Also, how much play in the shifter should one have when it's in gear? Seems like I've got quite a bit, especially when in 2nd and 4th. Starting to think bushings in the shifter itself need to be replaced.
Mine is the only 914 I've driven before and have nothing to compare it to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.