Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Siezed on my Six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Well, my first big problem since I owned the car, so guess i'm lucky. Anyhow could hear the thing start to whir loudly and belt started to slip ie burn luckly i was only 4 miles from home and make it just as it really started to bind up, ie it got louder. i'm fairly certain no other damage occured it never completley locked up and car never got hot. This is my self diagnosis but i'm 99% sure i'm right. Anyhow, I plan on dropping the motor and fixing this myself, i'm making a list of other while i'm in there projects, here's my list so far.

The motor is a 2.7 CIS with pressure fed tensioners, rebuilt 14k ago, or so i'm told. I have no paperwork on the motor.

List:
Start with comp and leak down test just to be sure i'm not doing this for nothing
New Alt (duh!)
New Alt Belt
Possible change to bulkhead six firewall mount from my quick six bar
Above will require removal of working ac system however sad.gif
Fix all easy DIY oil leaks
check clutch
adjust valves
repaint engine bay

that's pretty much what i have so far... This will be a huge undertaking for me, I have done none of the above, and will have a newborn in 2 weeks time so this will likley drag on untill spring. Any advice or items to add? confused24.gif

Ferg
Root_Werks
You pretty much hit the major stuff. Great time to clean up the engine bay, battery area and do any repairs that might be needed. All that "while I am in there" stuff can keep a car down a long time.

Good luck and post pics for us! biggrin.gif
brant
ferg,

this all makes me nervous..
this is the kind of job that starts out fine, but ends up taking 6-12 months...

are you sure you want to do this.
fix it in the car.

brant
Ferg
Oh I should add:

Firewall access panel
Crane ignition or similar

Brant, If I choose to accept this mission, will be done in time for WCC 05!

Ferg.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 1 2004, 01:33 PM)
Firewall access panel

No, no, no, no, please stop there. Man, don't cut a hole in your car, please don't! ohmy.gif

If you want to just change out the alternator, you can do it while the engine is still in the car. But don't start cuting holes in your 914! Please don't! sad.gif
Rhodes71/914
that's pretty much what i have so far... This will be a huge undertaking for me, I have done none of the above, and will have a newborn in 2 weeks time so this will likley drag on untill spring. Any advice or items to add? confused24.gif

Newborn + "while I'm there" work on car + Life = Little to no sleep.

Good Luck. laugh.gif
brant
as long as I'm whining about things that are none of my business....

don't change the motor mount..
especially if it means pulling out the A/C

I do like firewall mounts better, but yours works fine...

I'm just afraid that you'll get sucked into the "while your there" trap....

your car is great the way it is...
you don't need to change a bunch of stuff... its a dang nice car!

brant
J P Stein
Real men cut holes in their firewall.....we can take the heat laugh.gif
Cobble sumthing up...... biggrin.gif
Ferg
Brant,

you know my car and 914's better than anyone else i know, so as far as i'm concerned it is your business! pray.gif

I'll call you tonight, you and my wife may be able to change my mind.

Ferg.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 1 2004, 01:48 PM)

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Speachless. sad.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 1 2004, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 1 2004, 01:48 PM)

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Speachless. sad.gif

I doubt that'll last long.
I am pokin' fun, ya know wink.gif
Root_Werks
Are you trying to say I can't shut up for more than 5 minutes? laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Cut a hole in the firewall? Ever stop to think there might be a reason they call it a "fire" wall? No way would I do that. There's NO possible valid reason why you should do this to your car. The Cap'n
Sammy
IIRC I know that car too. I even drove it unless it was one of my dreams when I forgit my aluminium foil hat smile.gif

Waaaay too nice to cobble (Did I say that?) One of them cars that deserves to be fixed and driven, not up on jacks for a long time.

BTW, if you woulda got a real PPI instead of havin some slakjaw yokel check it out you woulda known that alternator was on the way out wink.gif

Glad to hear that's the only problem so far.
Jeffs9146
This will be a huge undertaking for me, I have done none of the above, and will have a newborn in 2 weeks time so this will likley drag on untill spring. Any advice or items to add?

I did this on my 6, no problem! You might as well check the trailing arm pivot point and bushings while your in there!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Alt Wires
Jeffs9146
Motor out

Jeff
Ferg
Hi Sam, I still owe you a beer.gif and more for checking it out, you swayed me in the right direction, and it turned out, I bought the car just in time. (seller had higher offer waiting in the wings)
Looks better without the stripe unsure.gif glad those windows were tinted for the drive back! cool.gif

Jeff, thanks for those pics, the one gives me a good idea of how high that ass end needs to be if i decide to take the plunge and pull it out.

thanks to all, I need to think this through a little more before I decide. I will not mess it up I promise
wink.gif

Ferg
mskala
Wow, and this comes like 2 days after a thread on another
board about what to replace in advance in your 911. Alt
was mentioned as typically only lasting 80K.

I'm sort of into summer reliability, so I think I will be doing
it soon!

On other note, don't cut holes in firewall. It takes about 1
minute to take the distributor out with clamp attached
(holds timing basically), and if that's too much work for
you then buy an optical or hall replacement. (IMHO)
krk
Ferg,

I've replaced the alternator in my /6 in the car -- my blundering approach is documented here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&f=2&t=8098&hl=

It wasn't actually that bad -- I can now do the dissassembly in about an hour or so once set up (towels covering the trunk/sides/etc and the tools out by the car (and it's probably worth just removing the engine cover for easier access) -- so I wouldn't shy away from it. You probably have more base mech skills -- if you have a new alternator ready to go in, you could do it in half a day ignoring the odd gotcha that inevitably comes up.

If you need more info, pm me. I'm happy to share laugh.gif the story.... heh.

kim.
Mrs. K
Hey Ferg,
You have such a nice teener,
hope you get it healthy soon!

Lisa biggrin.gif
Ferg
Kim, thanks for the link to your pull from the top, I may end up going that route after all, right now i'm in a holding pattern till I can get it towed to my wrench for a comp/leakdown test to be safe and then go from there. I'm running all sorts of time/money/frustration aspects and I may pay for part of this to be done.

I do know one thing, If I do decide to do this myself, this board will be here for me! clap56.gif

Ferg
skline
Well, unless you are converting it to a V8, I wont be able to help you much but I can try.
Sammy
Yup, looks much better without the stripe. biggrin.gif
Ferg
I'm a barbie girl in a barbie world..... barf.gif
brant
Mike,

sorry I wasn't home last night when you called...
I was out late posting my first pictures in the other thread.

I'm at home today.
call me when you have a chance, or I'll call you.

I think you should do the alternator in the car.
that way it will only be down a short time

I'll chat more later
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.