Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (OT) If your in the path of Sandy your in deep doo doo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ArtechnikA
I was supposed to be on a flight for Orlando this morning with a 0650 takeoff. Last night I printed my boarding pass and went for a nap. At 0300 I discovered the flight had been cancelled 20 minutes after I'd checked in. At 0650 there was no wind and no rain. I'd be on the ground in Orlando now.

So instead of taking off today, when the weather was good, I was rebooked on a flight leaving _tomorrow_ at noon - pretty much local landfall.

I see no hope of that flight actually getting out...
jersey914
You aren't going anywhere tomorrow. Nobody will be allowed on the roads till Wednesday. Good luck!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Oct 29 2012, 08:46 AM) *

You aren't going anywhere tomorrow. Nobody will be allowed on the roads till Wednesday.

This isn't New Jersey, and I haven't heard of any mandatory travel restrictions in PA yet.

That said, I think the only reason that flight hadn't been cancelled yet is that it somehow just got overlooked. I have no confidence it'll go.

In fact - I haven't received confirmation from the travel agency that I've been reticketed yet. So it may already have evaporated.
AvalonFal
Already hitting my place on the 7 Mile long barrier island 4 miles off the South Jersey coast. We had to be out of there by 4 PM yesterday. I'm in Philly now riding it out & waiting to see what's left.
Paul
jersey914
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Oct 29 2012, 09:25 AM) *

Already hitting my place on the 7 Mile long barrier island 4 miles off the South Jersey coast. We had to be out of there by 4 PM yesterday. I'm in Philly now riding it out & waiting to see what's left.
Paul

Good Luck Paul, Here in Marlton, it is coming down sideways and the wind is steadly picking up with some nasty gusts. Hard to believe we are 12+ hours before landfall and 36+ before this thing is out of here.

Good Luck, be safe!

PS - Teener has be moved to Medford warehouse for safe. dry keeping!

headbang.gif
TargaToy
Does everybody over here in the strike zone still have power? I'm just outside of Salisbury, MD so...in the lower-mid part of the DelMarVa peninsula. Woke up very thankful to still have electricity but everything just flickered a couple good times minutes ago. Blowing pretty good here now and my gauge shows we've had 4.25" of rain since 1:30 yesterday afternoon.
ArtechnikA
Does everybody over here in the strike zone still have power?
So far. Our local power company has been pretty aggressive this year about trimming branches. All my network gear and computers are on battery backups - will only run the computers long enough to shut them all down safely but with the router and switches up I'll have WiFi to the phones for a long while. And the laptops should run a few hours if they have to.
Spoke
As reported in Pittsburgh CBS affiliate:

Friday, Gov. Tom Corbett followed suit with many other East Coast states, and declared a State of Emergency for Pennsylvania in preparation for Sandy.

“Be prepared for staying in your home in case you lose electricity and if you haven’t replaced the batteries in a year, go get the batteries, go get water, go stock up on some food, but do it not in a rush, you still have some time,” Corbett said.
somd914
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Oct 29 2012, 09:59 AM) *

Does everybody over here in the strike zone still have power? I'm just outside of Salisbury, MD so...in the lower-mid part of the DelMarVa peninsula. Woke up very thankful to still have electricity but everything just flickered a couple good times minutes ago. Blowing pretty good here now and my gauge shows we've had 4.25" of rain since 1:30 yesterday afternoon.

Still have power here in Southern MD - Solomons/Patuxent River area, but given winds are gusting 40-45 MPH now and currently predicting gusts to 70-75 tonight, well, it's only a matter of time before trees start coming down and we go dark.

My son came home from Salisbury University this weekend - looks like it will be Wednesday before he can get back to school. Good luck on the eastern shore, and especially to our buddies up the coast.
Slink

I keep losing cable and wifi. Power went out but is back on for now. Wind is howling
gusting to 70mph with possible 115mph later tonite. Neighbors tree just split missing
their house and car. I moved my cars out in the street for saftey. My 914 is in
the detatched garage, hope windows hold. The Belmar basin is down the street
and they are closing the street as the water crests at hi tide.

mepstein
Still just moderate wind and rain in our area south of Philly. Not that I'm complaining.
ArtechnikA
wind has seriously picked up just in the last 10 minutes.
And still 2 hrs away from landfall...
jonferns
It's getting pretty windy over here. Not looking forward to later..
r_towle
wow....
AvalonFal
This WAWA is 1 1/2 miles from my house in Avalon, NJ. Doesn't look too good, but I'm hoping. That's not ocean water, that's intra-coastal waterway (bay) water, but the island is only about 1/2 mile wide, so in some parts, the ocean could actually meet the bay!! Some fun!!
Paul
Click to view attachment
anderssj
5PM EDT update from NOAA:

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...38.8N 74.4W
ABOUT 30 MI...45 KM ESE OF CAPE MAY NEW JERSEY
ABOUT 40 MI...65 KM S OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

Should be near/on Cape May around 6PM or so . . .

Be safe!
VaccaRabite
Still have power in York PA.
so far its just a windy rainstorm.

Just took a walk around the property. Some small leaks in the garage and shop from water getting blown under the pedestrian door sill. Otherwise, we are holding tight.

There is flooding and Camp Hill PA and Lancaster. Nothing reported in York yet.

Government agencies in Baltimore are closed again tomorrow, so I will be at home. Intend to ride to some of the local streams and survey them.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 29 2012, 03:46 PM) *

Still have power in York PA.
so far its just a windy rainstorm.

Just took a walk around the property. Some small leaks in the garage and shop from water getting blown under the pedestrian door sill. Otherwise, we are holding tight.

There is flooding and Camp Hill PA and Lancaster. Nothing reported in York yet.

Government agencies in Baltimore are closed again tomorrow, so I will be at home. Intend to ride to some of the local streams and survey them.

Zach

Keeps your knobs dry Zachamabob first.gif
Drums66
.....No joke, Sandy's soooooo nasty idea.gif sad.gif
bye1.gif
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

This is the river I usually kayak down. Its right near Herb Berwald's place.
It needs 100 cfs for my kayak to be able to scrape down it, and 200cfs for it to be at all enjoyable. Its been running at 50-75cfs since spring and I have not been able to get down it once this summer.

Right now...
20,000 CFS and about 18 feet deep!!! And rising! WOW!
Black22
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 29 2012, 07:53 PM) *

IPB Image

This is the river I usually kayak down. Its right near Herb Berwald's place.
It needs 100 cfs for my kayak to be able to scrape down it, and 200cfs for it to be at all enjoyable. Its been running at 50-75cfs since spring and I have not been able to get down it once this summer.

Right now...
20,000 CFS and about 18 feet deep!!! And rising! WOW!

You better get out there!!! aktion035.gif
somd914
Looks like the worst is over for us - with Sandy speeding up they've downgraded wind and rain predictions for us. Winds are presently averaging a reasonable 25 or so, down from 30-35 earlier this evening when gusts were into the 50's. The steady winds of 45-50 with gusts to 75 has been removed from the forecast. Looks like we've had 8-9 inches of rain so far, expecting another 1-2 overnight.

Looks like the guys a little further up the coast took it in the shorts, hope damage/flooding is not as bad as the news is predicting for them. On Friday they had Sandy tracking south of Ocean City and then right into my neck of the woods on the middle Chesapeake - I'm not complaining - been there, done that...
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment

The Bounty, slipping under the waves this morning 90 miles off North Carolina. As seen by the Coast Guard.
Coasties were able to save 14 of the 16 aboard, and are still looking for the Captain.

Spoke
Power was out for us most of yesterday in Allentown. Light to medium rain. Wind gusts up to 40mph.

I'm in Pittsburgh right now and yesterday and today it's just raining; not much wind. They predicted 2-4 inches of rain here.
VaccaRabite
Its just a rainstorm here in York PA now.
wok up and the power was still on. Expected to find 1/4 inch of water in the basement, but it seemed to be drying up! The usual flood points are still (barely) in thier banks, though one local bridge currently has a tree through it.

Its going to rain all day, but its just rain. The storm seems to have moved on.

Zach
jersey914
We're screwed here in Jersey. Power is out, place is flooded and trees are down everywhere. But, the iPhone still works.
mepstein
Our area dodged the bullet. I hope everyone who got hit hard is able to recover quickly!
balljoint
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 30 2012, 01:44 AM) *

Click to view attachment

The Bounty, slipping under the waves this morning 90 miles off North Carolina. As seen by the Coast Guard.
Coasties were able to save 14 of the 16 aboard, and are still looking for the Captain.

sad.gif

She was built up here in the Maritimes.
David Stowers
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 28 2012, 02:06 PM) *

Just got the CAT call. Don't know where I'm headed yet. I need to close out a few things here first but Northern NJ and Mass were mentioned as destinations.

Keep an eye out for a teener for me on your travels biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Take care out there
Spoke
Power still out in Allentown.

BTW, on my trip to Pittsburgh on Sunday, I saw at least 10 convoys of 5 to 10 electric company trucks and tree service trucks heading east on the PA turnpike. Pretty impressive sights. Those guys have their work cut out for them.
carr914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 30 2012, 01:44 AM) *

Click to view attachment

The HMS Bounty was headed here in St Petersburg ( where it was on display for a large portion of the 80's). It is a replica Ship. A 15th person was found alive, still missing one.

Update: the 15th person has died & the Captain is still missing
SUNAB914
We survived in Fredericksburg Va, West is another issue, 7+ inches of snow and power out.
ChrisFoley
It wasn't awful in central CT.

The shop didn't lose power. We closed at noon to get off the roads before it got too windy.
At my house the electricity went off Monday morning before the storm was really even here, and we had a large tree fall in the front yard. I worked on the tree until I was soaked.
As of 3pm Tuesday the power is still off at home. I'm headed there now to cut up the tree some more.

From my front door shortly before I went out to start cutting.
Click to view attachment

From the road this morning.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
bummer, nice tree.

We lost about 5-8 trees, one across the driveway.
Got the tractor and shoved it next to the driveway for further processing once it stops raining.

The others are all in the wooded area, so no issues.

We had one drop across the roadway...killed power for a few hours today while they fixed it.

I think we lost so many trees during the last two storms we have been pruned already...

rich
AvalonFal
Still can't get back to Avalon to see any damage to my house. They won't allow anyone back onto the barrier islands off NJ. Rode out the storm in Philly. Power stayed on all the time and only a neighbor's tree fell and it went the other direction from me. I guess I'm in a wait and see on my place at the shore.
Paul
JStroud
Wow, from the news coverage it looks horrific, can't imagine that much devastation. Hope everyone on here and their 914s made it through ok.

We have family in RI, and Florida.... No word from either yet.

Jeff
Dr Evil
Tree next to my Grandma's house broke in half and is lying on her roof. She lives in Forkedriver, NJ. All other family in that area are cool.
carr914
QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 31 2012, 10:24 AM) *

Wow, from the news coverage it looks horrific, can't imagine that much devastation. Hope everyone on here and their 914s made it through ok.

We have family in RI, and Florida.... No word from either yet.

Jeff

Everything is Good in Florida, just Rain & Wind from well off the East Coast

my Friends in Delaware are fine
rmital
New challenge....no more gas. Minimal damage to my home, town is a mess.
No gas deliveries for a couple more days. Getting a lot done around the house and yard.

Looking forward to some form of normal!
Spoke
Still no power in Allentown. PPL has 266k customers in 26 PA counties without electricity.

Word on the street is power will be restored on Sunday.

All the food in the fridge has been transferred to a friends house or thrown out. The house is getting cold.
jersey914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 31 2012, 03:48 PM) *

Still no power in Allentown. PPL has 266k customers in 26 PA counties without electricity.

Word on the street is power will be restored on Sunday.

All the food in the fridge has been transferred to a friends house or thrown out. The house is getting cold.

Hang in there Spoke........we just got power back and heat on! We were fortunate to have a generator to run the bare necessities over the last 2 days

smile.gif
AvalonFal
I'm in Avalon, NJ - 100 yards from the bay and 300 yards from the ocean on a barrier island and not a scratch on the house!! That old real estate motto about "Location, Location, Location" is even true with hurricanes. For shore towns, ya gotta be on the south side of the eye or the wind and waves will do you in. Landfall around Atlantic City meant towns north of there got hammered and south didn't (relatively speaking, of course.)
Pardon my geography and weather lecture, but I'm just astounded houses could be in the direct path of this thing and so close to the ocean and be completely undamaged.
Paul
Click to view attachment
Spoke
Our power came back on Thurs at about 6pm. Still no phone service or internet (Verizon).

Gas station near my house is cash only (their internet is down as well). Station down the road is out of gas.

Mostly evergreen trees felled around town. Still places without power.

A house about a mile from mine was literally cut in half by a huge tree.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.