Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (OT) If your in the path of Sandy your in deep doo doo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rick 918-S
Storm of the Century predicted. If your in the path where it hooks back into land I would take a long weekend and get the heck out. unsure.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 26 2012, 11:10 AM) *

Storm of the Century predicted. If your in the path where it hooks back into land I would take a long weekend and get the heck out. unsure.gif

Oh! You mean THAT Sandy. confused24.gif av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
Already cancelled meetings on Monday. Expect work to be closed.
Might be 2 years in a row we have has snow before Halloween.

Zach
mepstein
Supposed to be hitting us the hardest on Tuesday. Cold front coming down from the north will add additional horespower to the storm - maybe.
scotty b
Va has already declared a state of emergency. Evacuating the beaches down to N.C. and will be deciding tonight if they will be redirecting 64 east bound lanes to west bound. Looking like I may not have power for a week. Good times dry.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 26 2012, 12:01 PM) *

Va has already declared a state of emergency. Evacuating the beaches down to N.C. and will be deciding tonight if they will be redirecting 64 east bound lanes to west bound. Looking like I may not have power for a week. Good times dry.gif

tomorrow is going to be epic kite surfing at my place or chicks beach come on down! Of course if I 64 is only westbound you need to come down Route 10 to my place...
Eric_Shea

Oh! You mean THAT Sandy.

My thoughts exactly!!! LOL
balljoint
You never cheer for the storm named after your wife.

My wife's name is Katrina.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 26 2012, 03:07 PM) *

Oh! You mean THAT Sandy.

I'm not talking about "That Guy" laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
Latest track has it going right over my house.
Naturally, I got tabbed for making a business trip to Orlando next week. I expect we'll be able to fly out of PHL (too) early Monday and I expect it'll be bumpy past the midAtlantic.

I _think_ the snow, if any, will stay west.

Joy is quite the trooper and will get to / have to deal with whatever happens. Although there's a decent chance she'll be staying at work (a 160-bed long-term-care facility) in Quakertown.

We'll (have to) cope...
struckn
Walmart and Giant Food Store locally here sold out of bottled water. Filling our bath tubs, so we'll have water for things like flushing our tolets. I have a 450KW Generator with a Subie Motor that's enough to run the important suff and a 95lb Black Lab to keep us warm. We're ready......I hope.

IPB Image

unsure.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(struckn @ Oct 26 2012, 04:59 PM) *

...I have a 450KW Generator with a Subie Motor that's enough to run the important s[t]uff...

Half-a-Megawatt!?
You must have a lot of important stuff !!
tadink
I've seen it called a "Snor'easterncane", that's snow+nor'easter+hurricane sounds nasty! stay safe people.....
struckn
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 26 2012, 01:07 PM) *

QUOTE(struckn @ Oct 26 2012, 04:59 PM) *

...I have a 450KW Generator with a Subie Motor that's enough to run the important s[t]uff...

Half-a-Megawatt!?
You must have a lot of important stuff !!

Whoops make that 4500W...... slap.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(tadink @ Oct 26 2012, 01:16 PM) *

I've seen it called a "Snor'easterncane", that's snow+nor'easter+hurricane sounds nasty! stay safe people.....

sounds like a bitchin easter candy to me confused24.gif
stugray
Good luck to all those in the path.

I once decided to stick out a hurricane in Cape Canaveral with a 6 month old baby... LUCKILY it missed us. I had NO IDEA what they could do until after watching things like Katrina. I would never do that again.

As for the increase in the accuracy of weather predictions and real-time imaging by satellite please give some credit to the NPP-Sumoi satellite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomi_NPP (you are welcome - I helped build that ;-)

It produced this image soon after launch:

IPB Image

Stu
mepstein
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 26 2012, 04:53 PM) *

Latest track has it going right over my house.
Naturally, I got tabbed for making a business trip to Orlando next week. I expect we'll be able to fly out of PHL (too) early Monday and I expect it'll be bumpy past the midAtlantic.

I _think_ the snow, if any, will stay west.

Joy is quite the trooper and will get to / have to deal with whatever happens. Although there's a decent chance she'll be staying at work (a 160-bed long-term-care facility) in Quakertown.

We'll (have to) cope...

Coming over my house first. I'll let you know...
preach
QUOTE(tadink @ Oct 26 2012, 05:16 PM) *

Nor'easter is generally a near or at hurricane strength winter storm. We get them reasonably often up here.

I was outside at work a couple of years ago building the sail (periscopes and other masts) on a 688 sub and the Coast Guard station on base clocked 83mph winds. We just sucked it up and kept building.

This Sunday I will be at work from 6am to 6pm for hurricane watch. Basically we sit there and if the storm starts, or threatens, surging over the caisson of the dry dock we run out and seal the boat up enough so it floats.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 26 2012, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 26 2012, 03:07 PM) *

Oh! You mean THAT Sandy.

I'm not talking about "That Guy" laugh.gif

That is exactly the Sandy I was thinking too!! av-943.gif Though she doesn't seem to have Yopu's temper. I was just joking with my step-daughter that when she goes off it is usually a three day freeze! Samantha said "LOL!! I know right!!." Tropical Storm Yopu! sad.gif
nolift914
Not the time to live on a peninsula 2 blocks wide, hope the jack stands are high enough.
rockaway beach
anderssj
Latest Accu-weather:

Click to view attachment

Looks like I should buy a boat dry.gif
carr914
Good Reason to leave Now for the Tropical Ramble. Here in Florida we give Hurricanes a Big finger.gif & Have a Party party.gif

r_towle
This is a thread about ricks wife, right?
bigkensteele
One more reason to live in Ohio. By my count, I believe that makes two.
TargaToy
Dogonit!!! I just got the car perfectly leveled for further structural work and now I have to take the jack stands up a few notches, I guess. biggrin.gif

Not so much worried about damage here as I am an extended power outage. Guess I'll be stocking up on generator fuel this wknd.

jersey914
I am so screwed! Spent the entire day trying to any freaking store that had generators for sale. 14 hours later i am back home with no generator. Forecasting 10+ inches of rain ang hurricane force winds for 24-48 hours. Power outages are eminent and probably for days since we are so close to the shore. Good luck to all that are going to be affected!
Dr Evil
ALL of PA is in white. Neat.
OU8AVW
I work at a marina full of 40'+ sailboats. We stripped 25 of those bitches of sails and canvas. We'll spend the rest of the weekend hauling boats then Monday night walking the docks to make sure all is ok.
Last time this happened i got reamed out by multiple customers when they got the bill for saving their boats. This year i have permission from the top to give those a-holes a big F you!
somd914
QUOTE(anderssj @ Oct 26 2012, 06:59 PM) *

Latest Accu-weather:

Click to view attachment

Looks like I should buy a boat dry.gif

Here in Southern MD on the Chesapeak we are sitting on the fence between "Hit the Liquor Store" and "Totally Screwed" areas, but I'll believe all the hype when I see it. In 24 years here I've been through 3 hurricanes , several tropical storms, and numerous noreasters - more than my brother can say who has spent close to 30 years in Florida!

With Isabel in 2003 we had 5 oak trees on the house and spent days with the chainsaw running from sunrise to sunset. That storm brought a 5-6 foot tidal surge and significant flooding. With Irene only one tree came down but missed the house, there was very little surge but 12-14 inces of rain. Elecricity? Typically not for days for many in our area...

Time to secure the boat in her slip , tune up the chainsaw sawzall-smiley.gif , hit the liquor store beer3.gif , and drive the 914 driving.gif as she will sitting warm and dry in the garage for next several days...
vonsteigerho
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Oct 26 2012, 08:19 PM) *

I am so screwed! Spent the entire day trying to any freaking store that had generators for sale. 14 hours later i am back home with no generator. Forecasting 10+ inches of rain ang hurricane force winds for 24-48 hours. Power outages are eminent and probably for days since we are so close to the shore. Good luck to all that are going to be affected!

I was going to pick up a parts car in NJ middle of next week. Even if it's not the storm of the century, I'm probably still not going to make it there.

Echo the message about two Halloweens in a row. My kids will not be happy about this.
rick 918-S
I received a text message yesterday from my company and a call today putting me on notice to be ready to pack up and hit the road if they call. wacko.gif
r_towle
Spare room here if you are in my neck of the woods.

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 26 2012, 08:33 PM) *

Spare room here if you are in my neck of the woods.

Rich

Thanks buddy, Not sure confused24.gif if I'll even get called or where they will send me but if I get called and end up in your area I'll take you up on it. smile.gif
JmuRiz
Hopefully it's like a typical panic attack in the DC area ( where they call for something huge and it's no big deal)...I doubt I'll be that luck though. As long as water stays out of my basement and we don't loose power for too long, then I'll be fine.
Having a yard sale tomorrow, just in time before the rains Sunday.
kerensky
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 26 2012, 02:10 PM) *
...I was just joking with my step-daughter that when she goes off it is usually a three day freeze!
Mine is usually like the storm that goes by, then stalls and loops back to hit you from the opposite direction. Nothing like a solid week of sturm und drang...
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 26 2012, 11:12 AM) *

I was in the path of the "other" Sandy once. Once. blink.gif drunk.gif beerchug.gif
euro911
Hoping you boys and girls are prepared and fare the storm well ...
ejm
In the past year and a half we've had a tornado, hurricane, last year's Halloween blizzard and an earthquake. To Sandy I say this: BRING IT!
Click to view attachment
zymurgist
I hit the beer/liquor store yesterday and also did some grocery shopping. This morning I'm going on a propane run. Tonight I will fill a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with water just in case I lose power. Gotta be able to flush the terlet.

Potomac Edison did have crews cutting branches away from overhead power lines in my neighborhood over the past 2 weeks... time will tell how effective that is. All the lines are overhead here.
Gint
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 26 2012, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 26 2012, 11:12 AM) *

I was in the path of the "other" Sandy once. Once. blink.gif drunk.gif beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif I deflected that storm.

One of my coworker's last day was yesterday. He's flying out Monday to his new job... in Virgina.
Slink
I'm 2 miles from the ocean in So. Monmouth County NJ. This is not going to be
fun. We are in the direct path and not use to a storm this big. The beaches and
boardwalks are sure to take a beating. Its never a good sign when the weather
channel sends it crew nearby.
rmital
...here in Bergen County (Northern Jersey) it's the trees we fear the most in these storms. They are old and tall. It's been pretty dry as of late, so hopefully the roots will hold.
I'm sure the beaches down at Wildwood will look much different when we return this Spring.
rick 918-S
Just got the CAT call. Don't know where I'm headed yet. I need to close out a few things here first but Northern NJ and Mass were mentioned as destinations.
ArtechnikA
So here's a damage report, though not really Sandy related (but it is raining...)

Guy running late for work lit up his tires three houses down and ran down two of our 25' Cleveland pears in the front yard before finally coming to a stop... Heard the tires spinning down the street and had time to get to the window and watch it all happen.

Those guys in Corvettes who never lift at AX because they are convinced they can save it? Couldda been one of those guys - but this was a Dodge Ram...

And yet - if this is the worst of the Sandy damage we'll have got off okay. Sandy comes tomorrow, and we will see...
okieflyr
All our loose deck stuff is strapped down, water containers filled etc. Our big worry with these types of storms are the large trees in and around our development. All of our electric lines are buried which is good, but big trees on the house is always a concern. Our creek could crest into the backyard on this one. blink.gif
anderssj
from Yorktown VA:

winds are up a little, steady rain too. Latest chart:

Click to view attachment

We're went with box wine instead of bottles as the boxes might float a little longer smile.gif

Stay safe and dry!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 26 2012, 05:44 PM) *

Yeah, been there, done that - you have tornadoes & there's no predicting the path. Was there in '74, when Xenia was crushed. Watched it and two others go by the Cincy skyline.

I'll take 'canes.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(anderssj @ Oct 28 2012, 04:45 PM) *

from Yorktown VA:

winds are up a little, steady rain too. Latest chart:

Click to view attachment

We're went with box wine instead of bottles as the boxes might float a little longer smile.gif

Stay safe and dry!

Two bottles of Jack (1.75), 2 bottles of Sutter Home Pinot (wife likes that crap), and a snort of Cragganmore for the guy who mans the sump pump.

Yeppir, if I have problems...I won't know about them until middle of the week.
zymurgist
Customer labs are down... they are located in English Creek, NJ so they shut down and bugged out. Not possible to work from home today. Guess I'll sit and wait.
somd914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 28 2012, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 26 2012, 05:44 PM) *

Yeah, been there, done that - you have tornadoes & there's no predicting the path. Was there in '74, when Xenia was crushed. Watched it and two others go by the Cincy skyline.

I'll take 'canes.

Grew up about 10 miles from Xenia, can't remember a sky looking so evil since that day - I'll take the tropical stuff, you know it's coming and have plenty of time to prepare.

Here in Southern Maryland we've had steady rain since yesterday evening, winds are running about 15-20 with gusts to 25-30 , so at the moment no big deal, but predictions are for the winds to come up 15 or so later today with gusts up to 60 lasting until tomorrow night. They'll probably close our major bridges as the winds come up. We are expecting a 2-3 foot tidal surge tomorrow, so coupled with 6-10 inches of rain by then, we are going to have a lot of flooding.

But compared to hurricanes Isabel in '04 or Irene last year, this is not bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.