Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fall Foliage 2005
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
We're hashing out next year's format. One of the items under discussion is a driving event of some type.
We have 2 venues that we can rent for a Track Day (DE) and we are looking for Autocross venues.

DE will probably cost each driver $150 or so Track choice will probably not raise the entrant's price much if any. One is cheaper, but the other is popular so we could fill it by allowing non 914s to run. There will be a lot of seat time available. Possibly 2 hours + for 1 day at the track. The track will sell us insurance (not for your car). This would most likely be the Friday event.

Autocross will probably cost each driver $30 - $50. A lot of that will depend on the venue and insurance costs. I would expect a 914 only A/X to allow us to get 5-10 runs each, depending on when it fits into the schedule.

If you are one of the people contemplating attending next year what do you think? If you aren't thinking about coming please don't respond (sorry) this thread will help shape the schedule.

Thanks! biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
Sean, the deal with the AX comes down to insurance.

The way we solved it at the WCC04 was to team up with a local PCA event and we had enough people pre-pay and pre-sign-up and with the help of some key organizers, we were able to have our own course adjacent to their regular PCA event. It was win-win.

It would not have happened without the PCA.

You can rent insurance at the big tracks I hear...but not for an AX.
jim912928
driving events of some sort sound like alot of fun!...so I'd be a vote for YES
Jeroen
I think it's easier to fill an AX grid than a track/DE grid
Most people are afraid to take their car out on a track
(track driving is more fun IMHO)

Looks like it's easier (insurance wise) to rent a track though...
seanery
we know we can fill the grid easily at one of the tracks (so that's really a non-issue) for DE
ArtechnikA
an extra $300 makes it an expensive event...
but i think if you have an AX where i couldn't run the 911 i'd have to reconsider attending at all...

just MHO, since you asked ...
seanery
Rich, you'd be more than welcome to drive the taildragger.

How was the rest of your trip?
tommy914
A track event sounds fun to me.
Put me in the "training wheels" or "old farts" group.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 1 2004, 05:35 PM)
Rich, you'd be more than welcome to drive the taildragger.
How was the rest of your trip?

had a great trip.

didn't like coming in second in two events but oh well - that's competition ;-)...

disappointed that the drive didn't come off Saturday but i think you did exactly the right thing to make the hard decision to cancel that activity.

sorry we missed the Sunday drive but we slept in (we were both very uch in need of some time off...) and made our own trek over to Nashville, did the tourist thing, and continued the trip down to SW Kentucky to visit Joy's parents. two days there and then we headed East, did a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery, and headed home, made it back to SEPA late Friday evening.

3,0 flat-6 (with a 914CLUB sticker...) ran just like it should, good trip, glad to be home.

glad you're considering "all" Porsches driven by 914Club members for a proposed AX. if i can get everything done to the car i expect to (for Parade and beyond...) i think it'll be scads of fun in that venue...
TheCabinetmaker
Sean, consider the help of your local PCA. Our AX at this years MUSR would not have been possible without the support of the Cimarron region. smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
I hope my other organizers agree, but I believe if someone makes the effort to attend, then they should be able to drive...Subaru, Nissan, Porsche, Yugo-well maybe not a Yugo, but the others are ok to particpate in my humble opinion.
seanery
Curt,
we don't have an autocross program, we've been trying, but can't find anyone who will allow us to use their lot. I'm stunned. I've called, written letters, emails, etc...no luck. We think an autocross program will get some of our less active members off their a$$es confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
We feel your pain. It's also tough here find a willing parking lot owner. We are blessed with a very active PCA group, and a supportive county fair grounds. Ax every Sunday AM in November.
qa1142
With the overall weekend cost at > $300 I would prefer just AutoX for lower price...

That said, I would love to get my car on a track driving.gif idea.gif happy11.gif
GaroldShaffer
Sean, you know my vote, AXing. I think AX is just more novice friendly, plus cost is another factor.

[/QUOTE]I hope my other organizers agree, but I believe if someone makes the effort to attend, then they should be able to drive...Subaru, Nissan, Porsche, Yugo-well maybe not a Yugo, but the others are ok to particpate in my humble opinion.[QUOTE]

Well there is this yugo that runs in my SCCA region wacko.gif
GaroldShaffer
Rear engine is a 500 CI Chevy, front engine is a 2.2L Turbo blink.gif
GWN7
Sean, no luck with the manager of that bar we were in for a AX site? Wasn't it the fair grounds he was talking about?

If the FFC05 is in the same time frame as this years one, I have the time off already and might have a car with heat to drive down by then.
seanery
My friend Jim who lives in Columbus said that facility isn't acceptable as an autocross venue.
Doug Leggins
Columbus SCCA

Maybe we could work something out with the Columbus SCCA group???

I contacted this group prior to this years event. Their season ended the weekend before our event so I did not pursue it any further for 2004.

I went to one of their events a while back. Went to look at a 73 914 for sale - really sweet car but too much $$$. Anyway, spent a couple of hours there watching and even got a ride in the 914 for one run. It was a great time watching and riding. Driving in the event would be a total blast!

One BIG concern that I had is that the cars/tires picked up a tremendous amount of pebbles and it sounded like the cars took quite a bit of abuse from the stones. Is this stone throwing thing common/expected?

I would love to participate in an autocross but not just yet if my paint is going to have to withstand some rock throwing.

Maybe they have access to a more friendly track?

I'm willing to contact them to get more details if we want to pursue this.
GaroldShaffer
The CSCC also held a joint event with the Indy SCCA region at walesboro airport this year, is that where you seen them at Doug? As for rocks, yes it happens. Just take some blue painters tape and mask off around the back of the wheel wells. The tape won't hurt the paint.
Doug Leggins
Yes it was at the walesboro airport.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.