Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to manually get to 5th gear? Gear Locations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Was waiting for super bushing shift kit from Pelican and wanted to adjust my valves.
How do you get it into 5th?
It seems to only click three times and in ? neutral the whole thing wants to slide out of the transmission (scary) The question here is manually sifting with your hand right at the transmission how to get into 5th. (btw- the Ujoint and all bushings were shot..)

Q2 I assume the (E -I- I- E) exaust valves are on the outside i.e. if this was the drivers side .008 exhaust .006 intake .006 intake .008 exhaust cyllinder 1 and 2 ----- 2.0 L 1973

Click to view attachment
Rotary'14
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Oct 27 2012, 08:50 PM) *

Was waiting for super bushing shift kit from Pelican and wanted to adjust my valves.
How do you get it into 5th?
It seems to only click three times and in ? neutral the whole thing wants to slide out of the transmission (scary) The question here is manually sifting with your hand right at the transmission how to get into 5th. (btw- the Ujoint and all bushings were shot..)

Q2 I assume the (E -I- I- E) exaust valves are on the outside i.e. if this was the drivers side .008 exhaust .006 intake .006 intake .008 exhaust cyllinder 1 and 2 ----- 2.0 L 1973

Click to view attachment

shifter all the way out and forward towards the front of the car should give you fifth, middle and forward will give you third, and all the way in and forward gives you first. You can figer out the rest,,, biggrin.gif

-Robert
kbrunk1
So thie pivot piece between the two bolts slides out and then toward the front is 5th?

When it started moving I thought it might fall out then not be alligned with the gears inside.

I guess it just comes out about an inch and then another set of gears kicks in.....?
bandjoey
Bunjie cord to hold it in place smile.gif
Dr Evil
The pivot does not fall out. If it does, you have bigger problems smile.gif

Yes, out all the way and push ball forward.
kbrunk1
So when the "ball lever" is up it is -- 3 positions
Back?
Middle?
Forward?

When the lever is down --
forward is 5th
Middle?
Back?

Where is neutral?
Rotary'14
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Oct 29 2012, 02:01 PM) *

So when the "ball lever" is up it is -- 3 positions
Back?
Middle?
Forward?

When the lever is down --
forward is 5th
Middle?
Back?

Where is neutral?

neutral is what it is when it's not in gear and can move in and out. sideways motion on shifter is same as in and out motion on shift console.
Gint
Here's what works for me. Picture the shifter, rods and console linkage in your mind. That makes it easy to figure out what the motions at the shifter translate to at the shift console on the transaxle. Reverse is forward and left at the shifter. This moves the rod rearward and twisted all the way over counter clockwise (from the rear of the car). Which means the shift console is to the rear and all the way up. 5th is the opposite, with the shift console rod all the way forward and down. Neutral is when the transaxle shift console lever is centered front/rear and moves up and down freely past all of the gears.
kbrunk1
Neutral is when the ball is centered and when the shaft moves in and out.

In and forward = 1
In and center = neutral
In and back = Reverse

Middle and forward = 3
Middle and center = neutral
Middle and back = 2

Out and forward = 5
Out and middle = neutral
Out and back = 4
jcd914

Correct smile.gif

QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Oct 30 2012, 08:17 PM) *

Neutral is when the ball is centered and when the shaft moves in and out.

In and forward = 1
In and center = neutral
In and back = Reverse

Middle and forward = 3
Middle and center = neutral
Middle and back = 2

Out and forward = 5
Out and middle = neutral
Out and back = 4

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.