Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LSD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
sixnotfour
904 /aluminum case 901 ZF limited slip.

My buddy had this lying around , it wont work in the 914-901...
Well to much time and little cash....
First the drive flange adapters= Done
Second bearing sleeve and spacer. zf uses 45 mm bearings, 914 are 50mm
and is about 12mm narrower.
914werke
Ok maybe Im dense but what are we looking at here?
Just an quick peak at the OE LSD elements that happened to be available for Pics?
sixnotfour
My buddy was going to sell the early ZF LSDiff, but I told him I can make it work. equals cheap posi. for his 914-6

I made the the brown adapter discs and the alum. shields, so it will bolt up to the 914 CV's and no gaskets.
Thats All
Randal
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 28 2012, 09:00 PM) *

My buddy was going to sell the early ZF LSDiff, but I told him I can make it work. equals cheap posi. for his 914-6

I made the the brown adapter discs and the alum. shields, so it will bolt up to the 914 CV's and no gaskets.
Thats All

How did it work when installed in the 901?

Nice work by the way! biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Worked fine, old school .. low horsepower..and had nadella axles.. I am working on the bearing adapters now.
Randal
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 29 2012, 07:38 AM) *

Worked fine, old school .. low horsepower..and had nadella axles.. I am working on the bearing adapters now.

Track or autoxing?
sixnotfour
Vintage Racer, spare gearbox , His other Box has a Guard LS
gms
Interesting Stoddard used the 904 style in my GT, I will have to post some pix
Van914
I know where one is for sale, not cheap.
van914
sixnotfour
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 29 2012, 07:48 PM) *

Interesting Stoddard used the 904 style in my GT, I will have to post some pix

Glenn, please do, I wonder what parts they used ?
wingnut86
That's some real nice carving.

what did you use to make your parts?

Da Macheen?
sixnotfour
Old hercules lathe and a bridgeport. material is 17-4 SS HT to h900
Middlefour
Hi from across the pond. I would be interested to know how many of you have an LSD fitted? My 1970 1.7 has a factory fitted one, the first owner in the USA did a lot of what we call autotest I think you call them slaloms. I know that in the UK my car is the only 4 cylinder with a factory fitted LSD, and possible the only 914 of any sort with a factory fitted one. Be interested to find out.
pcar916
You might want to start another thread with this question and perhaps a poll if there isn't one already... I haven't looked. That said.

Your autotests are probably what we call autocross, or AX. In fact I thought it was you folks that called them sloloms. I've run both torque-bias'd (TBD) and clutch-type limited slip differentials (LSD). The TBD is far better for AX events while the LSD diff's likely have a better application on track events like racing, high-speed drivers ed, time-trials and hillclimbs.

Both are better than an open differential at getting power to the ground, but drivers new to them have to be careful on wet surfaces until they are familiar with the increased tendency of the car to swap ends in the corners. You'll get a bigger percentage of folks that have those diff's in the Paddock forum on this site.

Back on topic: Nice machine work and good to see.
sixnotfour
Steve, check this thread out ; It is a rare option.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...197147&st=0

QUOTE(Middlefour @ Oct 31 2012, 03:34 AM) *

Hi from across the pond. I would be interested to know how many of you have an LSD fitted? My 1970 1.7 has a factory fitted one, the first owner in the USA did a lot of what we call autotest I think you call them slaloms. I know that in the UK my car is the only 4 cylinder with a factory fitted LSD, and possible the only 914 of any sort with a factory fitted one. Be interested to find out.

Back on topic: Nice machine work and good to see.

Thanks Ron
914werke
BOT how did you HT? do you have an oven in your garage as well?
sixnotfour
No Oven to 900 at home, Tyee in tooling we have a 2000 degree oven.
Middlefour
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 31 2012, 06:21 PM) *

Steve, check this thread out ; It is a rare option.Thanks Ron

Cheers Ron, will do!!
sixnotfour
I found a picture of glenn's LSD, Looks like Stoddard did the same thing.
gms
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 3 2012, 12:39 PM) *

I found a picture of glenn's LSD, Looks like Stoddard did the same thing.

That is it!
and here is the flange
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Cool , that will work , thanks for update.
sixnotfour
904 with custom bearing sleeve and CV adapters
914 ZF LSD requires its own CV stubs (thanks Garold)
GT 914 uses any 914 CV Stubs

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.