Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help First Time On Valve Adjustments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
OK got the Pelican Valve Adj Made Easy
Got in 5th - driver side wheel in the air -- have rotor at notch. Found Paint on flywheel and notch in housing so I am close to TDC of cyl 1.
I can not bend enough to see anything on the flywheel standing from the wheel behind the drivers wheel looking in the hole.
Now Pelican says in Figure 11 there is a small opening you can see from under the car near the top of the transmission (? front of the engine bar I assume - found all the tin but no opening. -- you can feel it with your finger ???? (not)

Now I assume you pull the covers off with both wheels on? and Pelican says you need to mark the bottom of the flywheel in the gap I can not find.

Is this hole on the Oil filer side?

Stuck!

914_teener
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Oct 30 2012, 08:15 PM) *

OK got the Pelican Valve Adj Made Easy
Got in 5th - driver side wheel in the air -- have rotor at notch. Found Paint on flywheel and notch in housing so I am close to TDC of cyl 1.
I can not bend enough to see anything on the flywheel standing from the wheel behind the drivers wheel looking in the hole.
Now Pelican says in Figure 11 there is a small opening you can see from under the car near the top of the transmission (? front of the engine bar I assume - found all the tin but no opening. -- you can feel it with your finger ???? (not)

Now I assume you pull the covers off with both wheels on? and Pelican says you need to mark the bottom of the flywheel in the gap I can not find.

Is this hole on the Oil filer side?

Stuck!

Use Capn' Krusty method.

Search the site here.
Krieger
The cooling fan is on the front of the motor just behind your right shoulder. There is a black plastic cap on the shroud around it that unscrews so you can look inside at the markings. The flywheel does not have any factory marking, but you could add some. Remove one wheel at a time. I think the pelican proceedure has you using the rear wheel to turn the motor.
Dave_Darling
If you're looking at the flywheel, remember that the transmission is at the back of the car. The flywheel is in between the engine and transmission. There is a notch at the bottom of the transmission right where it bolts up to the engine, and another one at the top.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like you have found the notch and paint mark on the fan, not the flywheel. You need the car on jackstands. From under the car, there is a hole in the trans case where it bolts to the engine. You can see the flywheel there. There was a notch on the factory flywheel. There is another hole on the top of the trans case. You can stick your finger in the top hole and feel the notch as you turn the flywheel. When you feel it on the top and the rotor is pointing at the notch in the diz, you are at top dead center of#1. At this point, paint a line on the bottom of the flywheel. Rotate the engine till you see the notch thru the bottom hole and you will be at TDC for the next cylinder . Repeat process till you have done all four .
balljoint
Take a couple of big steps back and check to see if your car says FIAT on it anywhere.
SLITS
Use Cap'n Krusty's opposite valve method and you won't worry about firing order or notches.
SLKWrx
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 31 2012, 07:46 AM) *

Use Cap'n Krusty's opposite valve method and you won't worry about firing order or notches.

agree.gif I just went through my first adjustment at all and the Pelican method had me scratching my head. Krusty's method was cake, worked like a charm once I got the bailing clamps off mad.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 31 2012, 07:03 AM) *

Take a couple of big steps back and check to see if your car says FIAT on it anywhere.

av-943.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Oct 31 2012, 11:30 AM) *

agree.gif I just went through my first adjustment at all and the Pelican method had me scratching my head. Krusty's method was cake, worked like a charm once I got the bailing clamps off mad.gif

I must agree its a better method. I learned it years ago from a local Porsche wrench, and use it myself. However, it might be easier for a first timer, and help him in knowing where these parts of the car are. Never hurts to know how to find tdc, right?
tdgray
Better yet....look up a word in the dictionary ....mechanic....find one

MDG
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 31 2012, 08:25 PM) *

well yes . . . there's always that. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 31 2012, 04:25 PM) *

How aboot a little compassion here Todduh dry.gif No need to be a dick yourself
Woody
Hi guys. bye1.gif
timothy_nd28
The Cap'n has the superior method. It's actually not that bad, start with the easier set of valves (the most accessible). Make sure you have a stubby spade style screw driver, with a box end wrench (13mm I think). Be sure that your jack stand locks, and you keep your hydraulic jack positioned underneath as a back up. There has been a wrath of jack stand failures recently. It's just peace of mind having a back up, just in case. Best of luck! drunk.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 31 2012, 08:32 PM) *

My bad....twas a bit dickish

Woody
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 31 2012, 07:54 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 31 2012, 08:32 PM) *

My bad....twas a bit dickish

It twer. huh.gif
Rand
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Oct 31 2012, 09:30 AM) *

I use the new disney star wars method. It's just like krusty's except you leave the valve covers on. No more messing with those evil bailing clamps... or at least it takes less force.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.