Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Venice Blue 74 1.8 is probably gone.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SUNAB914
Well, I-95 finally got me last night. Lucky to be alive, but the girl protected me and I think she is totaled. I will post picks tonight and ask for insurance advice. I'm pretty darn sore all over after getting hit with a Mercury Mountaineer from the SS. And I don't mean Scout Snipers.!
I will post pics tonight. headbang.gif
S/F
Tom_T
Sorry to hear that Gunny! sad.gif

Also sorry to have missed you when I was in the DC area 10/22-26, but didn't hear back on my PM to you, and presumed you were busy then.

Look at the bright side - it's time to hunt down another 914! smile.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wingnut86
As long as you are safe...

Condolences on your loss...

sad.gif
7TPorsh
That's two in a week...sorry man...
Bob L.
Sorry about the car. Now get to a Chiropractor! The soreness may still get worse before better. Ice packs are your friend. Not hot packs. If you want heat, take a bath/shower.
Good luck with everything.
JawjaPorsche
Damn that sux. Hope this is not a trend.
A&PGirl
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Nov 1 2012, 01:31 PM) *

Sorry about the car. Now get to a Chiropractor! The soreness may still get worse before better. Ice packs are your friend. Not hot packs. If you want heat, take a bath/shower.

agree.gif

I second a trip to a board licensed Chiropractor. I have been going to one about 2 years know and he almost has me completely fixed up from 10 years of speed skating. I may or may not skate again because of my left hip/left leg that got jammed in a fall in a race simply because of the speed/forces/weight involved.

The most deadly thing in speed skating is corners followed by ice blade so sharp they can slice paper by lightly touching it. icon8.gif

That is why your trained to get up RIGHT NOW after a fall and OMFG jump 3 feet high and more than 3 feet forward right now going 10+ mph. wacko.gif
Spoke
Get yourself looked at right away.

Don't write in this thread anything detailing the accident such that someone could use it against you in litigation.

Make a list of all your expenditures for this car.

Get recent for sale ads for concourse, excellent, and good 914s to show relative values.

Assume the insurance adjuster has never seen a 914.

Find a local 914 restorer (Is Scotty B nearby?) to be there when the insurance adjuster looks at the car to give technical input on the cost of repairs.

Good luck and glad you weren't seriously injured.
OU8AVW
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 1 2012, 11:24 AM) *

Get yourself looked at right away.

Don't write in this thread anything detailing the accident such that someone could use it against you in litigation.

Make a list of all your expenditures for this car.

Get recent for sale ads for concourse, excellent, and good 914s to show relative values.

Assume the insurance adjuster has never seen a 914.

Find a local 914 restorer (Is Scotty B nearby?) to be there when the insurance adjuster looks at the car to give technical input on the cost of repairs.

Good luck and glad you weren't seriously injured.

agree.gif
Good luck and a speedy recovery!
bandjoey
Sorry man. Another reason for high third brake light ( might not have helped here but... I'm a daily 914 commuter and I know mine has saved my bacon a couple of times)
SUNAB914
Here are the pics
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SUNAB914
2 more
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
DAMN IT! That IS 2 in one week! I bet Scotty could work with that, but its still no picnic. Wish you the best of luck and glad you're ok.
6freak
sad.gif look`s like a pretty nice car to! sad.gif
jsayre914
Total Bummer

Sorry Bro
sad2.gif
FourBlades

Sorry to hear about that! sad.gif

John
JawjaPorsche
Your damage looks very similar to a friend of mine who got rear ended last December. The person who is repairing his teener is not fast but does awesome work. Here is link to his shop: http://www.autobodymd.net/showcase/index.php

It is in northeast Georgia. Check out pictures on several teeners he has repaired. Orange and Green 914 repair pictures are great examples.

Terry
Cairo94507
Very sad indeed. I hope that it looks much worse than it actually is.
Someone else has already mentioned Scotty B........if it can be fixed, he is the man for the job.
mepstein
Sorry. I really liked that color.

Guys - SUNAB914 knows Sotty B
billh1963
Damn, Chris. I hate that!
dlee6204
Dude that sucks. It was such a nice car. sad.gif
billh1963
Chris...no one has bought my '76 yet. You are welcome to move over your engine and transmission and use the car until you get yours fixed. I'll even let you take your engine and transmission back out when you are done! biggrin.gif

The car was carbed (I think yours is too?) so even the fuel pump is good to go!
carr914
I've had one fixed that looked a lot worse than that

Good Luck
type47
NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! such a beautiful car.... hope you're OK
pete000
So many 914s die from getting rear ended. We sit too low in today's SUV world.

I have seen a few center high mounted LED lamps on some 914s I do not like it, but it looks like it might be necessary now days.

I am thinking some quick disconnect suction cup mounted high mount lamps like the ones the tow trucks use.
timothy_nd28
pre-accident, I would've voted this car of the month. Sorry man
Dr Evil
Gunny, yours is one of my all time favorites. Let Scott take a look at it after the insurance guys total it for a lot of money. Sorry to here this.
Mike Bellis
sad.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Nov 1 2012, 01:17 PM) *

Chris, if Scotty or someone back there has access to the 914 fixtures for a Cellette Bench, than that can be pulled straight & repaired, new rear deck lid & maybe some panel patching - assuming there wasn't too much more hidden damage.

When the gal whacked mine in the parking structure back in 85, it was deemed fixable & they weren't worth as much back then.

Click to view attachment

idea.gif
JamesM
Doesent look as serious as that last one a week or so ago, sort of re-inforces my theory that the early style bumpers fair better overall in an accident. Looks pretty similar to mine when it was hit which FYI the other guys insurance repaired it with little fuss.

Just tell the insurance you want it fixed as it would be to difficult/expensive to replace and then find the best shop around with a celette bench.

kbrunk1
Your health is the most important, but what insurance value do you have listed for your car?

Does that really matter..... I guess it is just compariables.

I know folks think a certain $ , but ??

Reason I am asking is that I recently got insurance and had to tell them a price.
Does that really mean anything?
saigon71
Sorry for your loss, but glad you are OK. Please let us know how this works out.
Socalandy
what a Bummer sad.gif and glad your OK!!

Looks like it can be saved pray.gif
RFoulds
NOOOO!!! Thats MY old baby!! sad.gif

Gint
Sorry man. You can fix that. Nice looking 914.
championgt1
Bummer! sad.gif
wrightee
Chris, sorry to hear about the damage to your car. It certainly reinforces my plan to stay off I95 when I get mine done!

I'm lucky to be able to ride the bus in to the Pentagon, and when I return to Quantico next month, I'll drive in on the back/side roads rather than getting on the highway.

Of course, living in this area, sooner or later someone (or some deer) is going to hit you! (so, was the driver who hit you talking on their cell phone?)
SUNAB914
Everyone, thanks for encouragement and best wishes on my health, it could have been worse if i would have spun and got hit again. Yes RFOULDS, I'm sorry, she was enjoyed by both us. I had decided awhile ago I wasn't comfortable driving on 95, but circumstances dictated this time and this is what happened. I will keep you posted as to what happens. I'm in contact with Scotty.
Thanks,
S/F
VRROOMM1
sad.gif
Rockaria
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(kbrunk1 @ Nov 1 2012, 06:43 PM) *

Your health is the most important, but what insurance value do you have listed for your car?

Does that really matter..... I guess it is just compariables.

I know folks think a certain $ , but ??

Reason I am asking is that I recently got insurance and had to tell them a price.
Does that really mean anything?

Brunk,

The insurance value does matter, as it's what the insurance company charges you for, and on what your claim is based.

If you fix up your 914 - or any vehicle - then get it into the insurance folks for pix & give them copies of the bills to substantiate or offset what they'll usually do to discount or depreciate the claim payment for aging/use from date of purchase - even though older vintage/collector cars go up in value with time, vs. new cars depreciating for the first 10-20 years!

If you don't use as a DD or regular use over 3-5000 mi/yr (varies by insurer/policy type) for your 914 or other vintage/classic cars (generally over 25 years old by most insurance companies), then you should try to get an "Agreed Value" policy from Hagerty, Heacock & those guys - as it pays you a check for that amount for a total loss - no questions asked.

PS - AAA or ACSC out here in SoCal will insure Porsches up to 1989 MY under their Classics policy, but it comes under an "Exception" from their standard no newer than 1972 MY Classic Car policy, so you'll have to ask them to look that up, or ask for a supervisor or manager to get to that exception (otherwise you get the wrong answer). I haven't tried my 914 with them because it's not restored nor roadable yet, so I cannot speak tp them for that type of policy yet, but they've been pretty good with some minor fender bender claims on our `85 325e & `88 Westy under their regular car insurance.

Next best is a "Stated Value" which can still be reduced/depreciated by the insurer.

And least best, but what many on here who use their 914s as DDs or over the 3-5000 mi/yr limit - is good ole regular car insurance.

But on any of them - go with low deductibles, & give them full comps of recent sales, appraisal if available (agreed & stated value may require this) & receipts for work, pix of the car & update it all every year or two - in order to keep from getting low balled on any claims.

When I had the gal whack my car as seen in my prior post above (she also mashed the front by pushing it forward 2 ft into a concrete wall/column), their insurance tried to low ball me for $3500. So I had to go out & get comps, I had all my receipts for $6500+ in rolling resto costs 1980-83 (the 914 was "Cherry" when it was hit in the UCLA parking structure), and threaten to take it to my lawyer - before a Mgr. agreed to pay the $6400 claim in full!

So records & comps are your friend - even if you're just photo documenting the work you've done yourself - then you can get a shop or two to give you their price for your own work for insurance claim purposes, then you can use them or yourself to repair any damage. Most shops will do that for an insurance claim, but some will charge a modest fee for their time.

Hope this is helpful to Chris, kbrunk & others out there too.

BTW - I used the insurance money to lease/buy my current DD BMW 325e, because my wife said we needed a "family car" with more seats, ergo the 914 went in the garage on blocks since then, until I started the slow resto/prep process in 2009/10 after the kids were grown & gone. That's why she still wears her battle scars! dry.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Nov 1 2012, 02:31 PM) *

agree.gif

Chris, i just saw this, how are you doing? wow that's really a bummer!- is it salvagable? can you buy it back from ins and use it to rebuilt another tub?

give me a call--

phil

edit: i just read the whole thread- before i did that i thought maybe you should talk to Bill - i had considered getting his 76 tub and putting my engine in it while the tub gets rust repair, maybe this is something you could consider-
rick 918-S
I just received your pm. Here is a link to a thread I posted some time ago. I hope you find it helpful.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=142145&hl=
SUNAB914
Divers side rear tire is now pushed out further? Something else is going on under there because the passenger rear now has 2-3 inches clearance. Engine started!
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Sounds like the unibody &/or suspension console(s) are tweaked. A pull on the cellette bench should correct it, but you may need a rear susp console replacement or two. Need to get it on a lift to look, or some tall jack stands.
rick 918-S
Rear of the car is swung to the right.
MikeSpraggi
Sorry to hear and see that. Nice car. It can be fixed as you know. Hope the $$ and all work out so that it can repaired be and still in your possession!
SUNAB914
I guess big fat fender flares would fix that? Might not track right, but no rubbing. Haha
OMGosh!
gasman
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Nov 4 2012, 02:42 PM) *

I guess big fat fender flares would fix that? Might not track right, but no rubbing. Haha
OMGosh!

Gee Chris...sorry for what happened....So you let me know what you want to do.....There are plenty of donar cars At Black Forest Garage,,,,If you decide to fix it, let me know what you need and i'll get over there and pick the best for you. You can do it.....Jim
laser314
Chris.. Bob Johnson in Holland. MI.. best body guy I know for
914 is Kirk Schueman at Automotivation in Fairmount, GA...

Google "automotivation II" and find site that is autobodymd. net..

click on Gallery and look at various 914's... mine is "Bob Johnson 1971 914"

Kirk is a bit of an artist, but, he knows these cars inside and out..

Bob Johnson
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.