Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadadavis
What are the pros and cons of using a 911 oil filter on the 914?
type47
I'd venture that it's all con since the 911 filter and 914 are different sizes. Even if you can screw the 911 filter on a 914, the sealing gasket on the 911 filter will miss the sealing surface on the 914 filter tower. If you're thinkin' just because it's a 911 filter it has to be better, that's not necessarily so. Get the proper 914 filter (Mann, Mahle, and I'd like to know about Wix and other brands) and adopt a regular oil change interval....
Cap'n Krusty
The early 911 filter will fit just fine, but it was designed with the high flow rate you get with a dry sump system. Valving may be different, and it's gonna stick about 2" farther down, putting it at risk of getting smacked by anything substantial you might run over.

The Cap'n
IronHillRestorations
The Cap'n is right, at best all you are gaining is less ground clearance.
Drums66
.....In a pinch...you can use the 911(filter)but....
just get the right 1.....BTW, it sits paralell with engine bar
never ever heard of 1 getting smacked(911 filter,don't be paranoid)
yellowsleep[1].gif bye1.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Nov 5 2012, 02:48 PM) *

.....In a pinch...you can use the 911(filter)but....
just get the right 1.....BTW, it sits paralell with engine bar
never ever heard of 1 getting smacked(911 filter,don't be paranoid)
yellowsleep[1].gif bye1.gif

Pretty sure mine sits perpendicular to the engine bar.
Drums66
.....Meant, flat bottem(horizontal with engine bar) idea.gif
(don't think it is in danger) shades.gif
bye1.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Looking at the photo above, I can see the filter interfering with the cables. Hmm, does the term "saw through the filter" mean anything to you? Once the plastic coating is gone, what you have is a serrated flexible housing rubbing on the thin metal of the filter. All the time.

The Cap'n
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 5 2012, 05:22 PM) *

Looking at the photo above, I can see the filter interfering with the cables. Hmm, does the term "saw through the filter" mean anything to you? Once the plastic coating is gone, what you have is a serrated flexible housing rubbing on the thin metal of the filter. All the time.

The Cap'n

The picture doesn't give you a true perspective since it's 2 dimensional. The cables are at least an inch below the filter. Not even touching. The worn cables came from resting on the bottom of the engine and they don't anymore. The heat of the engine caused the plastic to melt. No danger the cables will "saw through the filter". Does the term "depth perception" mean anything to you? slap.gif av-943.gif happy11.gif
Eric_Shea
Oooo two cranky old guys going at it!

popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 6 2012, 05:13 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

w00t.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 6 2012, 06:13 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well, Cap'n Krusty could kick your ass any day. Hah! poke.gif slap.gif av-943.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 6 2012, 05:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 6 2012, 06:13 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well, Cap'n Krusty could kick your ass any day. Hah! poke.gif slap.gif av-943.gif

......Just tell him to use a 911 oil filter, in the 914(will make him feel better!!)

laugh.gif bye1.gif(nomore over heating problem's)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 5 2012, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 5 2012, 05:22 PM) *

The Cap'n

The picture doesn't give you a true perspective since it's 2 dimensional. The cables are at least an inch below the filter. Not even touching. The worn cables came from resting on the bottom of the engine and they don't anymore. The heat of the engine caused the plastic to melt. No danger the cables will "saw through the filter". Does the term "depth perception" mean anything to you? slap.gif av-943.gif happy11.gif

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, Elyut? We're discussing the effects of the added length of a 911 oil filter, NOT the length of the 914 filter in the picture. I can understand your confusion, what with you being from El Paso de Robles and all, but it seems unbelievable that you've lost ALL of your ability to reason and comprehend since you moved up there. Remember, "redneckness has got to be a disease, you catch it on your fingers and it just crawls right up your sleeve". Of course, you came from Orange County, where reason and comprehension are in short supply, so maybe it just wasn't there in the first place ..................

Your sympathetic friend, The Cap'n
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 7 2012, 02:33 PM) *

Your sympathetic friend, The Cap'n

av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.