Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Mr. Miagi" 76' Subie Powered Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
wingnut86
Let the tall tales begin...

...as with any Tall Tale, time is of no concern.....

From the Python-esc inspired "The Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen"

Click to view attachment

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
wingnut86
My 76' 914 with "Pristine No Rust Metallurgy"

biggrin.gif

...at least Scotty won't have to see this one anytime soon. Of course, there's always the flare install at a later date. And, the 70' I have WILL require his lifesaving techniques at a later date blink.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Mr. Miagi has already given up his former soul - "Danielson"

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

...the saga continues

idea.gif
billh1963
It's about time! What is the plan?
wingnut86
Plan?

There's no PLAN biggrin.gif

...it's all about the journey huh.gif

Gotta pick up that rebuilt Ginzu plasma cutter I bought off HSN!

beer.gif

sawzall-smiley.gif
wingnut86
Received a long sought after wish list item from CFR and Chris's Team biggrin.gif

I sourced the 911 E-Stop system a while back (brakes) and sent to Chris.

One of our brethren here sold me an old set of trailing arms for the rebuild.

5-Stud kit was sourced from Eric Shea at PMB a while back, with a nice set of his rear calipers from a Friday buy being readied as the main stopping power. She'll get brand new Bilsteins in the rear with 90 or 100lb springs initially (NOS), with new rubbber from Mark at 914Rubber and re-popped metal from Eric.

Bruce Stone, aka "Big Dawg" beer.gif is working on some sway bolt swag for me as well:-)

I'm torn between putting this setup on "Blackie" the 70' 914 in this build, or the jacked and stacked 76' in the Dungeon - aka, the garage idea.gif

I'm in a 4 week employment "lull", so I have time for more ruminations huh.gif

I asked CFR to "sign" these beauties for me beer3.gif

Click to view attachment

first.gif

P.S. - ALL parts sourced HERE from our vendors or members - Buy local, especially 914World whenever possible flag.gif
wingnut86
...picking up a motor and assorted parts this Saturday in TN:

1- Subaru 2005, 2.5 Liter NA w/o turbo - approx. 100K
2- 5-speed tranny with flywheel and clutch, still attached to engine
3- FI harness and ecu (brain)
4- Complete vehicle harness
5- A/C compressor and dash control pod with dash condenser
6- What's left of gauge pod for speedo, temp, etc
7- Cruise control pod or stalk with associated valving and subassemblies complete out to motor
8- Fuel tank accessory plate with sender, pump, etc (including sub-harness)
9- Complete stub axles and CVs out to wheel
10- Rear differential (not needed - FS later)

Maybe I'll get lucky and score something else I can clean up and sell here to our membership.

I also purchased a Subie motor and tranny mount from Ian over at Coldwater914. Real honest guy I have been corresponding with for a while. Ian's torch skills are outstanding, and I was tempted to leave the steel bare.

What I did was had the cradle lightly sand blasted to eliminate much of the heat discoloration at the joints, although the joints were impeccably finished prior to shipping. After blasting, the steel takes on a nice milky flat tinge that can be left as is, but I wanted to powder coat it to further preserve the work while not blinging it out too much.

I had them apply a clear powder coat with product from nic industries. I think it will stand out on its on against any colors I later apply to the motor or tranny pieces.

Ian is supplying his custom components specific to this conversion, with the coupler, Sway-Away half-shafts, fwd block off plate, and accessories.

More build details will be added as I sort through the project details beer.gif

Coldwater914 Cradle - 4 or 6 cylinder capable

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

aktion035.gif
dian
does the engine have an immobiliser?
billh1963
Awesome, Dave! Looks like you have a plan
wingnut86
QUOTE(dian @ Nov 23 2012, 04:35 AM) *

I think it was standard on the Forester (?), optional on the 2005 Impreza.

Always upgradeable.

I'll have a chance to verify tomorrow as I'm taking a factory electrical diagram with me as well as a CD. Also taking my Torque OBD Checker and cables with me, just in case I get to download the error codes:-)
904svo
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Nov 23 2012, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(dian @ Nov 23 2012, 04:35 AM) *

I think it was standard on the Forester (?), optional on the 2005 Impreza.

Always upgradeable.

I'll have a chance to verify tomorrow as I'm taking a factory electrical diagram with me as well as a CD. Also taking my Torque OBD Checker and cables with me, just in case I get to download the error codes:-)

If it has a immobilizer,get the unit and key that goes with it!!!
wingnut86
Got the box and the key:-)
wingnut86
Frikkin Cheby-Burbans WTF.gif

I could have loaded 4 of these little boxers in the back of her beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Click to view attachment

wingnut86
...and the best for last...

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Time to make some space by clearing out some stock biggrin.gif
billh1963
Well done!

Now you just have to install it!
wingnut86
Nope, I can still see the garage floor.

Need more grease:-)
904svo
If you need help with the wiring PM me. I just went through the process with my
conversion installing a 2007 WRX in my car.
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
way to go Dave!!!!! beer.gif
great to see some work going on that, hate to see a rust free car sitting there for so long when it has so much potential!
aren't you goint to paint it first?
billh1963
Dave has lots of plans for his car....let's see if he actually works on it or just accumulates parts (so says the resident 914/TR6 hoarder... lol-2.gif )!
Jaymann
Hey wingnut:Wow, thats a nice car.I made an offer, on this one.Glad to see it went to a club member.It was a real clean shell, from what I rember.Wish, I would have gotten that one.If I had seen it in person,things might be different.Well good luck with the project.Jaymann from PA
wingnut86
I hate to disappoint, but I just figured out that drill in the last image can power my whole car.

Still looking for batteries that will fit in the tow behind trailer headbang.gif
wingnut86
Sold some hardware the last weekend.

1- Set of 1.7 Tins and Fan Shrouds - Tins were Black Powder Coat, Fan shrouds were Triple Coated Silver and Baked at 500° till HARD in the middle beer.gif
2- 1974, 2.0 GC Short Block
3- New Mellum Pump
4- $600 in gaskets, sensors, valve covers, shims, chim-chim-churee (it rhymed), and tons of other NOS and original restored stuff
5- 1970 Running 1.7 block, er, till I stored it blink.gif

Sorry Phil, BillH1963 bought my original Weber Italian IDF-40s for a song (dance comes later) piratenanner.gif

Next frame if you please smile.gif
wingnut86
Early Christmas from PMB arrived 2 days ago santa_smiley.gif

I hate scratching this shit up when I mount them, but it cuts down on the road tar and dirt a good bit if they look like this to start:D

Now If I can just find all the shit that I bought from Cary (A&P Girl) the last 3 years or so I'll be happy. Probably hid it away with the NOS 96mm pistons I couldn't sell with the 96mm Jugs this weekend, or maybe the Weber rebuild kit for the IDF carbs headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

For those with blurred vision, I give thee MANA from Eric first.gif

NOTE: I'm not really giving these away, it's a play on words huh.gif

Yes - there are bits and pieces from a 911 rear E-Stop that are shown in here. I forgot to ask Eric for the actual E-Brake pads, so now I have to wait to assemble it all up to Tangerine's rebuilt trailing arms above...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

More to come...

Gint
Sweet!

Eric, Got any stickers?
wingnut86
...the parts had little "Tootsie Roll" stickers all over them. And the brown sticky grease is everywhere;-)
Gint
That does look like a fun project. 160-70 horsepower in a 914 will kick ass. Modern FI... sounds like a nice combo to me.
wingnut86
What you guys think, kind'a purty?

Powdered set of 911 E-Brakes for my 914 trailing arms built by Tangerine piratenanner.gif

These are actually called "Candy Apple Red", a powder coat series from NTS(?)

I then fitted them with the proper bling or re-bling from Eric's shop of elves at PMB.

I got the hats late, so had Tangerine go ahead and mount the other 911 E-Brake hats I sent them to my rear trailing arms they were building - seeing these in full bliss, makes me wish I had waited. I may have to sell these hats sad.gif

Bling stays with me evilgrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still working on nest steps beer.gif

Chris H.
Sweet! You got the engine and trans together from the same car?
wingnut86
I did.

But, the 2005 5-speed is being swapped out with a 2007 unit prepped by Ian.

As soon as it arrives, I'll offer the 2005 up here 1st.

Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Nov 5 2012, 09:02 PM) *

My 76' 914 with "Pristine No Rust Metallurgy"

biggrin.gif

...at least Scotty won't have to see this one anytime soon. Of course, there's always the flare install at a later date. And, the 70' I have WILL require his lifesaving techniques at a later date blink.gif

idea.gif

fast forward 6 months rolleyes.gif
wingnut86
...and then Scott went BAMMM!

And Mr. Miagi has some new Ninja Skirts up front beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

chowtime.gif
bulitt
smilie_pokal.gif

Scott needs a bigger shop for all his bidness welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 10 2013, 03:35 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Indeed. Or, he needs more people to pay for their work so he can move stuff out! lol-2.gif
bulitt
Think you are right, I was gonna give him a flared tub, er rustbucket and he said he already had enough crap laying around... biggrin.gif
scotty b
welder.gif
wingnut86
...nice.

I'm thinking we just take her down to bare metal and clear coat her like Anklebiter's build evilgrin.gif

Fuch it, drop the wheels and add skis, we'll sell it to the next bond flick beer.gif
wingnut86
..NO Billh1963, Miagi'San is NOT for sale!!!
billh1963
Looking good!

I want my flares back lol-2.gif
DRPHIL914
looking great!! , is that the one you going to cut up into pieces last year?

and this is going to be the suby car, Dave?
wingnut86
Nope. You haven't seen this one. I purchased it a while back from "FastHonda" on our board biggrin.gif

"Miagi'-san" is 89.9% rust-less happy11.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 10 2013, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ May 10 2013, 03:35 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Indeed. Or, he needs more people to pay for their work so he can move stuff out! lol-2.gif

agree.gif
wingnut86
...added some additional hardware. Fiberglass dash with modifications to support the Subaru dash cluster. Hand made by one of our members here on the World. Craftmanship is on the par with DaVinci or DeLorean with his GTO biggrin.gif

He used a textured paint similar to undercoating or on a truck bed. I like it me-self, maybe in Chevy crinkle red or the new faux CF dip coatings they can do, in a royal blue stripe maybe piratenanner.gif

Thanks Mike beer.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

ruby914
Wingman, I think you need to paint that dash "Candy Apple Red", with the rest of the car. smile.gif
Click to view attachment

wingnut86
You nut, it's "Gamecock" garnet... well, close as we can get it:-)
ruby914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 28 2013, 10:09 PM) *

You nut, it's "Gamecock" garnet... well, close as we can get it:-)

That's the color you will paint the car aktion035.gif Yea!
I have two quart cans of L822, Garnet Red Poly and one big question?
One can Is single stage the other is base for 2 stage, I haven't made up my mind. confused24.gif I thought, I may paint the engine bay... with the single stage and the outer body with the two stage but they may be too different for that.
I know you have the best working on it. What's the plan?
CptTripps
That dash looks pretty bad-ass. Originally, I'd thought of doing a 911 dash, but with the rest of the Subie conversion, I'm thinking it may be real cool to have the dash cluster as well. Especially with that big-ole tach in the middle.

Very cool.
Chris H.
Get the STI one...it has the tach in the middle. They are sub-$100 on e-bay.

Yeah Mike is one of the most talented fiberglass/carbon fiber guys in the community...he just doesn't brag about it enough!
CptTripps
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 29 2013, 10:21 AM) *

Get the STI one...it has the tach in the middle. They are sub-$100 on e-bay.

Hmmm... I need to change my search criteria. I'm finding a few that are over $300, and none under $150.

I will see if I can pull the cluster off of the WRX that I'm getting the engine from. My assistant's husband had his 03' WRX wrecked, so I've got access to any of the parts I need from the donor car. I'll look tomorrow at the car, so if it has the right cluster, I may be ok.
Chris H.
Oops my bad...WRX, not STI...there's not a huge difference aside from the lighting which you probably won't care about.....

Here's one:

WRX Gauge Pod

Sorry for the total hijack wingnut86!
laflaur
Nice build, Hey, how close is that gauge pod to the windshield, looks pretty deep.
Lots of nice little details in this build!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.