Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
monkeywrench
What other porsche steering wheels fit?? I have been thinking of options off a 911

What other steering wheels are recomended?? momo..._____

I would like a better feel and perhaps more knee room.
smrz914
I love my momo Race wheel.

IPB Image
Kargeek
I used an 80's 911 wheel...I had to cut down the hub on the backside, then I added the 914 backside plastic piece with the horn ring and turn signal cancel tab. The wheel sticks out about .75 more than stock.
MattR
The momo prototipo is a nice wheel, and a lot of porsche owners have them. They'll run you about 200 plus 60 for the hub though. Grant makes wheels, but the hubs are NLA.
scruz914
Sorry no pics. I have a Jackie Stewart wheel that I think is a Momo. It is from the PO. Look for clearance between the wheel and the turn signal and wiper levers. Fat fingers don't make it. Not a problem for me. I like the feel.

-Jeff
Aaron Cox
you saw my prototipo right?
monkeywrench
I used an 80's 911 wheel...I had to cut down the hub on the backside, then I added the 914 backside plastic piece with the horn ring and turn signal cancel tab. The wheel sticks out about .75 more than stock.

I liked the idea of going this route. How much did you have to cut down?

Aaron I forgot which momo you had?
jim912928
I did the same as Kargeek...in fact used the same wheel out of a 80 911 Targa....but instead of cutting the backside of the steering wheel I cut down the front side of the plastic cover of the 914 (after removing it from the 914 wheel) and then mounted the wheel.
flatout
I put a custom billet adapter and an anodized Dino wheel in my 71.The spacing and size are just right for me.
flatout
Here's another pic.
anthony
I'd love to fit a 930S wheel to a 914. I put this one on my 911:
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 3 2004, 01:11 PM)
I'd love to fit a 930S wheel to a 914. I put this one on my 911:

how much did that set you back? sweet!
anthony
Not cheap. It was $350 (which was a deal) but it's a real Porsche wheel. Pelican and AJ-USA also sell a reproduction but it's not nearly as nice.
aircooledboy
One of my cars had a Momo in it, which looked & felt great. Problem was I could only tell how fast I was going up to 30 mph, and above 90 mph. Other than that, speedo was blocked by the wheel. Not a good combination, so I swapped back to a factory wheel. sad.gif
Root_Werks
I have used a number of 3-spoke 911 wheels and a couple of 4 spoke 911-944 wheels. Usually you can just cut up your 914 wheel and weld on the hub to the other wheel spaced properly of course. They look nice/stock. wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Nov 3 2004, 01:22 PM)
...I could only tell how fast I was going up to 30 mph, and above 90 mph. Other than that, speedo was blocked by the wheel.

you can twist the speedo same as the tach for more visibility of the speed range you care about, being careful to avoid kinks in the drive cable, of course.

mostly i've learned the rpm-in-gears speeds and almost never look at the speedo - the tach is right there in front of me...
aircooledboy
you can twist the speedo same as the tach for more visibility of the speed range you care about, being careful to avoid kinks in the drive cable, of course.

mostly i've learned the rpm-in-gears speeds and almost never look at the speedo - the tach is right there in front of me...

That was with it turned. With it oriented at normal 90', I could see up to 45, but then nothing until 120. Since I drive in 55 or 65 mph zones about 50% of the time, that was no good either.

I tried to do the RPM thing, but I just ain't that smart. I'm lucky if I can keep my ATM PIN straight. w00t.gif smoke.gif beerchug.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Nov 3 2004, 01:43 PM)
That was with it turned.

I tried to do the RPM thing...

oh well, it was worth a shot. it worked with me in the /6 with the Personal Fitti, but everything (seat rake, fore/aft position, driver height...) has an effect ...

in the 911, 2500 is the magic rpm. it's 25 in 2nd, 35 in 3rd, 45 in 4th, 55 in 5th -- not that i recommend driving 2500 rpm in 5th...
monkeywrench
How well does one see the gages using a 911 three spoke wheel.
froggie
For a real "old school" touch, I put a Nardi wheel in my car. You can use the flange from the stork wheel by drilling the rivets out of it. I then turned an adapter out of half inch aluminium plate to match up the bolt patterns. I really like the wheel. Since it has a shallower dish than the stock wheel, your fingers are a little close to the turn signal and wiper switches. (you could fix that by using a thicker adapter) and the wood wheel may lack appeal if you think of the Stirling Moss era as a long time ago.
machina
Momo Mod07, as found on factory supercup cars.

Has alot of dish so measure first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.