Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving my engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
Can someone show me the best place to hoist my engine from?
I still have the front engine bar... Is that a good place?
JRust
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 6 2012, 11:33 AM) *

So you roll it under the car with the tranny. Then use the hoist to bring it up? Should work fine off the engine bar. I would pull the engine lid & rear trunk lid. Just to ensure you don't put pressure or rub either. I usually just use the floor jack. Then balance the motor & tranny on it. Never had any problems that way. I've never had a hoist to use but don't see any reason it isn't a good way to go.

Good to hear you are getting your rotary in & set. Congrats biggrin.gif
wingnut86
I prefer straps or 2 friends. Never use the HE, Exhausts or sheet metal. Preferably the sheet metal should be removed while still on the lower position of a carpet dolly, 4 x 4s or the lowered jack. 2 hefty guys, or 1 wide shouldered strong man holding the bar and about 200 lbs, and another guy in the rear holding the tranny. Use a strap around the tranny, but forward of the tail if possible with 2 more around each bar support arm - watch interference with reverse switch, 90° speedo drive, etc. You can use extended bolts through the magnesium cooler shroud, but the locations escape me, and most folks shudder to think about this.

For a metal engine stand, you need the tranny and flywheel removed for clearance issues as well as obvious attachment points.

Some guys use a home built wooden dolly that allows leaving the majority of the engine in place, using the front mount bar and tranny support flanges as the outrigger supports. The Type IV rattles a bit if not tuned properly, so if running it on a home built dolly, use extended 2 x 4 outriggers to ground on each side like Van's excellent 914 rebuild site shows...

Be Safe.

Dave

QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 6 2012, 02:33 PM) *

JmuRiz
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Nov 6 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I prefer straps or 2 friends...
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 6 2012, 02:33 PM) *

That's what I do too...it's not all that heavy.
'73-914kid
a tie strap or chain around the two engine mount bar bolt, and then a chain bolted through the flywheel inspection hole in the bellhousing of the engine case. You have to make sure that wherever you attatch it, you can get the engine stand on the back of the case.
02loftsmoor
you have to watch that my engine mount rubbers broke and that bar came off.

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 6 2012, 02:15 PM) *

a tie strap or chain around the two engine mount bar bolt, and then a chain bolted through the flywheel inspection hole in the bellhousing of the engine case. You have to make sure that wherever you attatch it, you can get the engine stand on the back of the case.
SirAndy
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Nov 6 2012, 12:38 PM) *
you have to watch that my engine mount rubbers broke and that bar came off.

agree.gif

On later cars with the sideshifter tranny, the enigne mount bar is attached to the engine with only two small rubber pucks!

If those break while you're hoisting the engine, it'll fall on the floor.
blink.gif
Rand
Where (your subtopic) is really the question. Two man job to put it anywhere you want. But you said hoist.... You mean you want to lift it to a high shelf? If you just want to move it around on the floor....
http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html
oldschool
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 6 2012, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 6 2012, 11:33 AM) *

So you roll it under the car with the tranny. Then use the hoist to bring it up? Should work fine off the engine bar. I would pull the engine lid & rear trunk lid. Just to ensure you don't put pressure or rub either. I usually just use the floor jack. Then balance the motor & tranny on it. Never had any problems that way. I've never had a hoist to use but don't see any reason it isn't a good way to go.

Good to hear you are getting your rotary in & set. Congrats biggrin.gif

Jamie not the Rotary car, This is my white car I'm putting a 2.0 in it. And I was wanting to know where on the engine block?
oldschool
I want to lift to a work table and it does not have a trans....Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 6 2012, 04:14 PM) *
This is my white car I'm putting a 2.0 in it. And I was wanting to know where on the engine block?

I'm confused as to why you would need a hoist at all ... confused24.gif

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php
shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 6 2012, 04:19 PM) *

I want to lift to a work table and it does not have a trans....

Get a buddy, give him a beer, then have him grab one side, you grab the other and you lift the engine on the work table.

No problem at all ...
beerchug.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 6 2012, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 6 2012, 04:14 PM) *
This is my white car I'm putting a 2.0 in it. And I was wanting to know where on the engine block?

I'm confused as to why you would need a hoist at all ... confused24.gif

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php
shades.gif

I have a few engines to lift, At this point they are all on dollies so moving is easy. ...but lifting..I jacked up my back, already. So I got a lift/hoist/

So here is a photo of the pick up points...
wingnut86
NOT the heat exchangers!!!

You will tork more than your back if you do that to the heads. That's where the HEs bolt into the motor...

Of course if cash is no object, then HAM and Jake sell nice upgraded units for about 3K a pair...
Kirmizi
Don't involve the heat exchangers/exhaust for lifting. Use a third body, one for the flywheel end and one on each end of the engine bar. It's not much weight, just "bulky" to lift.
The T-IV engine is actually pretty easy to handle with enough people.
Mike
oldschool
Will do... Thanks everyone
silver74insocal
rename your post "free beer in pomona" the problem will solve itself biggrin.gif
'73-914kid
I've told Jaime that before..haha I'm sure we could lift that ourselves man..just remove the he's..and we're golden. I'll even bring a buddy from school to help lift it.
oldschool
Ok..that sounds like a plan...
sean_v8_914
it wont fall on the floor...it will fall on your foot
oldschool
So I was able to use the lift today...Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.