Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bodywok caution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm currently doing an all over color change on a car including some collision damage. I routinely use a product called Slick Sand to speed up the process. It is essentially a spray on bondo. This time, I put the product on last Saturday morning. It normally takes 12-24 hours to be able to sand, depending on temp. As of today, it is still soft. On Monday I spoke to my paint rep about it. First thing she asked me was " how old is the hardener " ? It was about 6 months old, but in the past I have regularly used hardener that was within a year old.

She now explained to me that aparently the gov't has declared that the chemical in hardeners as a preservative, is now outlawed. This issue of non hardening putty and spray poly's is becoming more and more of an issue bacause no one was told of this.

I was advised that any tubes past their date should be thrown out immediately, and any hardener that has been opened and will not be used within a month should also be tossed.

If you look at the crimped end of the tube there is an almost illegible number stamped into the crimping. THIS is the experation date. Good luck reading it dry.gif

I now have to sad off all of the primer I put on this car. there goes a day plus in time and probably a roll of sandpaper headbang.gif
scotty b
This is the date code dry.gif
scotty b
sorry I can't get a clear pic that close up ,but it pretty much is as clear as mud
Woody
Damn it buddy that really sucks. I honestly believe this is a week of mondays.
scotty b
QUOTE(Woody @ Nov 8 2012, 07:07 PM) *

Damn it buddy that really sucks. I honestly believe this is a week of mondays.

yeah, definitely sad.gif
MDG
Is a bodywok one of those Japanese frying pans?
Dr Evil
Glad you are here to soak up all the turd vibes for the rest of us.
scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 8 2012, 07:14 PM) *

dry.gif bite me moose breath dry.gif

yoo too " evil " slap.gif
MDG
Don't hate the Mikes, Scotty.
Dr Evil
smile.gif
somd914
Before long our Government friends will ban life as it is proven to cause death!
carr914
When I was selling Paint, the Government intrusion sucked, I can only imagine now
bigkensteele
Stop complaining. The EPA has made life better for every living being. Uh, except for humans who work for a living.
larryM
YIKES - i tho't it was only a problem for us sunny-cal CARB-controlled folks

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 8 2012, 06:54 PM) *

I'm currently doing an all over color change on a car including some collision damage. I routinely use a product called Slick Sand to speed up the process. It is essentially a spray on bondo. This time, I put the product on last Saturday morning. It normally takes 12-24 hours to be able to sand, depending on temp. As of today, it is still soft. On Monday I spoke to my paint rep about it. First thing she asked me was " how old is the hardener " ? It was about 6 months old, but in the past I have regularly used hardener that was within a year old.

She now explained to me that aparently the gov't has declared that the chemical in hardeners as a preservative, is now outlawed. This issue of non hardening putty and spray poly's is becoming more and more of an issue bacause no one was told of this.

I was advised that any tubes past their date should be thrown out immediately, and any hardener that has been opened and will not be used within a month should also be tossed.

If you look at the crimped end of the tube there is an almost illegible number stamped into the crimping. THIS is the experation date. Good luck reading it dry.gif

I now have to sad off all of the primer I put on this car. there goes a day plus in time and probably a roll of sandpaper headbang.gif

76-914
We could always buy some in Mexico then drive it across.
ruby914
That reminds me of when Clark Foam was the #1 go-to for surfboard foam.
The EPA forced him to change the recipe of the foam.

The first of these surfboard blanks that I got looked and shaped the same.
The fiberglass work was fine until I got to the sand coat. It never kicked 100%? confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Do you know how hard it is to sand gummy resin? Not yet?
I had to use lots of 60 grit at low speed to load up the paper. Some would ball up and fling off.
This went on for about 10 boards then just stopped happening. confused24.gif confused24.gif

I never knew what hit me until a year later when a letter was sent out explaining what had happened.
The blanks were gassing. By the time you were sealing the board with the sand coat the gas had no place to go but through the curing resin.
The resin never had a chance to relax.
Clark was the first, the biggest and the best blank Co. Made in California, USA. One day he just quit. I am sure he never spoke to the EPA again. smile.gif
Thank you for the warning scotty.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 8 2012, 07:14 PM) *

Chinese. Actually. I think. happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 8 2012, 08:11 PM) *

Stop complaining. The EPA has made life better for every living being. Uh, except for humans who work for a living.

If it wasn't for the EPA, we couldn't have the G&R swap meet. Because the air in Riverside would be totally unbreathable. happy11.gif
bulitt
Probably cheaper to ship a 914 to un-regulated china, have them repair it and ship it back.
Hey maybe they could reverse engineer it. Body in white at HFreight- 599$

The problem with regulation is- for every regulation you then need to put on an army of inspectors to (supposedly) enforce it. Regulation creates jobs!
Now trying to repeal the regulation becomes quite the task.

Sorry for the rant- but its this exact example of a guy in America trying to make a living only to be set back by restrictive regs that pisses me off. headbang.gif
Krieger
Id be a little pissed with your rep for not doing his job. These are the kind of details he should know...
monkeyboy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 8 2012, 10:44 PM) *

If it wasn't for the EPA, we couldn't have the G&R swap meet. Because the air in Riverside would be totally unbreathable. happy11.gif

Are you saying it's breathable now? huh.gif
SLITS
All the EPA/AQMD/etc pukes do is sit in a closed room, smoking left hand cigarettes, jerking off and coming up with insanely stupid regulations for no reason other than in a haze of blue they had a thought.

finger.gif

And then there is Gubner Moonbeam, Osama Bin Obama, etc ... but I'll leave that alone as I wouldn't want to make a political statement on this politically correct BBS.

worn
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Nov 9 2012, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 8 2012, 10:44 PM) *

Are you saying it's breathable now? huh.gif

Even as it is there is a lot of poisonous stuff out there. Without any brakes on at all, we would be in trouble. Very toxic spots include: Eastern Europe, China, American Military Installations. Watch the movie Children of Men

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/

As a card carrying toxicologist, I can say the scenario of sudden infertility isn't impossible at all. Or it could be that you have a child with a birth defect - there is no question that this is linked in a complicated way to our chemicals. The regulations are there to keep us from doing what we shouldn't do. Yes, it is wasteful and it gets in the way. Still, we are allowed to get away with working with pretty nasty stuff. Wear your gear.
Wanna talk waste - Ask me why I have to oversee a Hilton Hotel for rats that costs you all millions, and at the same time I can buy at the supermarket poison for home use that makes them die a nasty death. It was a popular move I guess.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.