Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another clutch tube on the LOOSE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
Got off work last night and car started right up, its running awesome. Pulled to the traffic light, sitting in neutral. Light turns green, I reach for the clutch, its not where it was sad.gif Its half way down to the floor, no gears at all. I roll to the side and adjust the nut all the way in on the tranny adjustment, pedal comes back up, till I push on it.... I get my buddy to pull behind me and give me a push to engage 2nd and I make it through 3 lights speed shifting till I get to 83. Then it was smooth sailing, speed shifting is easy (stopping is hard rolleyes.gif ) When I got to the end of the highway, I kept it in 2nd and timed each light (chugging to the red ones.

I made it cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Now where are all those threads on clutch tube repair ?? dry.gif

Joseph
VaccaRabite
If only you had a bud with a welder.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 9 2012, 03:38 PM) *

If only you had a bud with a welder.

I still need to investigate. I am working all the time, and then I am home trying to finish the new bathroom. Car time does not exist at this time sad.gif

I think my next step would be to remove the console, carpet, shifter. Then see if the tube is in fact loose. I have a good view from the back, the tube is solid there with no cracking. I also saw the pivot arm is in the same position that its always been. So prolly not a tranny problem.

If I only had more hours in a day...........................................................................................................................................................

golfer.gif

type47
You might be able to temporarily bolt the tube to the tunnel to squeeze out a couple more miles until Zach warms up his welder welder.gif
ChrisFoley
If its not the clutch tube or the clutch cable, check to see if you've sheared the roll pin at the pedal where it attaches to the shaft in the pedal cluster.
scotty b
The fact that you tightened the nut down, got pedal back and then it went away once you pushed it bothers me. Check the pin like Chris mentioned, and if that is fine then look at the throwout arm as well. I've seen a couple of them actually crack in two. Usually at the fingers on one end or the others, but I have seen one break near the center of the arm. I always assumed that one had been in an accident and no-one noticed it was bent until it broke confused24.gif
scotty b
Oh and the firewall....definitely look at the firewall where the tube comes through. That would also explain why you got pedal back then lost it under pressure again
scotty b
confused24.gif poke.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 11 2012, 07:29 PM) *

confused24.gif poke.gif

Car is sitting under the umbrella cover, I have had NO time to look. I am building another bathroom in my closet. Driving the Suby sad.gif

I will get to it
popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 11 2012, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 11 2012, 07:29 PM) *

confused24.gif poke.gif

I am building another bathroom in my closet.

huh.gif blink.gif stromberg.gif 5 gallon bucket ? unsure.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 11 2012, 08:10 PM) *

huh.gif blink.gif stromberg.gif 5 gallon bucket ? unsure.gif

See for yourself

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=197984&hl=
jsayre914
Had an hour to take a look.

Pulled the rear acess panel in the center and tube is perfect, no wiggle. Looked under the gearshifter, tube was strong and weld was perfect. Not a Clutch tube problem. Pedal cluster was perfect, rebuilt recently and the small piece with the pin was fine.

Now onto the tranny.

I put the cable back on till it was tight like it should be, it took about 20 washers blink.gif and the fork was angled slightly tward the rear of the car. I know thats not right. I removed the cable and noticed that there is about an inch of slop on the fork. It has too much play. it now sits in the middle of the hole and I can wiggle it foreward and backward.

What happened????

WTF.gif

Oh yeah, its a new clutch with less than 10k miles
Jeffs9146
A couple of things could have happend but I would guess that one of the spacers that goes between the TO Bearing and the Y Fork broke or the plastic spacer in the ball cup in the Y Fork broke!
ws91420
Cable could be breaking a few strands at a time and stretching.
euro911
My wife's clutch started needing adjustment weekly ... then daily. When we puled the drive train - turned out to be the cable (stretching).

If you pull the drive train and it turns out to be your throw our arm bushing, replace it with a bronze one 'while you're in there' idea.gif

Nice bathroom addition too thumb3d.gif
Rockaria
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 14 2012, 10:13 AM) *

...I removed the cable and noticed that there is about an inch of slop on the fork. It has too much play. it now sits in the middle of the hole and I can wiggle it foreward and backward....

My bet is that either the bushing (Plastic Ball Cup) under the fork or the small clip holding the clutch fork got loose and the fork is now just dangling. Can you pull down on the fork and does it come loose from the throwout bearing?

my 27 centavos,
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 14 2012, 09:57 AM) *

My wife's clutch started needing adjustment weekly ... then daily. When we puled the drive train - turned out to be the cable (stretching).

If you pull the drive train and it turns out to be your throw our arm bushing, replace it with a bronze one 'while you're in there' idea.gif

Nice bathroom addition too thumb3d.gif

"Bronze one"?

The Cap'n
euro911
With the exception of the firewall bushing (replaced that with a CFR spherical), we replaced all the plastic bushings with bronze ones. Maybe THOMAS made the ones I have? confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
The good news is that pulling the trans is not nearly as involved as pulling the whole engine.
Sounds like you will need to do that.
Dr Evil
Not the cable. If the arm has that much slop, then it is a pivot/retainer and bolt/ arm/bushing issue. The cable may be contributing, but it is not the primary cause.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 14 2012, 11:14 AM) *

With the exception of the firewall bushing (replaced that with a CFR spherical), we replaced all the plastic bushings with bronze ones. Maybe THOMAS made the ones I have? confused24.gif

And exactly what do the shift linkage bushings have to do with the clutch?

The Cap'n
euro911
IIRC, he machined pivot bushings for the release arm too.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 15 2012, 10:18 AM) *

IIRC, he machined pivot bushings for the release arm too.

If you mean by "he" Chris Foley, it's not in his product listings.

The Cap'n
euro911
Not Chris, ... THOMAS.
jsayre914
I have no idea, I got frustrated yesterday and called Tony for the 100th time. He just came over my house with a trailer and took it. I gave him free Beer. beer3.gif

I will let you guys know what happened tomorrow.

Tony is a really GOOD guy. first.gif

TRANSLOG GT
VaccaRabite
thumb3d.gif

Zach
VaccaRabite
I know the answer.
I know the answer.
La la lala la.
I know the answer.
Black22
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 20 2012, 07:22 PM) *

I know the answer.
I know the answer.
La la lala la.
I know the answer.

WTF.gif this sounds hilarious coming for an adult! I literally laughed of loud! lol-2.gif
914werke
what make you think Zach is an adult?
partwerks
I had where the roll pin goes through the clutch leg, from there on out is where it snapped off. I think it has been partially cracked for some time and just finally retired. Hoping to have the clutch shaft replaced this week.
IronHillRestorations
I just trolled through this thread for the 1st time, and I'm going to say you've got the same problem that partwerks describes. Gordon Luy of Canada, and Glenn Stazak had this problem at the Branson 914 event in '97.
VaccaRabite
Suprised joe has not chimed in yet.

Yep, roll pin sheared. Best possible issue I think.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 10 2012, 09:24 AM) *

If its not the clutch tube or the clutch cable, check to see if you've sheared the roll pin at the pedal where it attaches to the shaft in the pedal cluster.

POST # 5 WINS IT !!!!!!!

Nice Job Chris
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

the pin was sheered. Car is once again on the road driving.gif
jsayre914
WTF.gif

It has been 2 weeks since new pin installed. Clutch was adjusted with some play and the pedal came up 1/2 way or less to catch. smile.gif

Today, I noticed first grinded a bit, then just now @ lunch I hopped in and it grinded again pretty good, pedal seemed to have a tiny bit more play, so I gave the nut about 4 turns and it is perfect again.

I think my 914 is giving me an anxiety problem
dead horse.gif
Kirmizi
If the clutch cable is new, it may just be stretching a little. biggrin.gif
Keep an eye on it to make sure
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.