Full Version: Handling: Plenty of Understeer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
It's no secret. They 2003/2004. biggrin.gif
Woody
Dooood WTF.gif easy 2 seconds right there. poke.gif
jhadler
Don't be too hasty to throw fresh race rubber on there...

One advantage of running on rocks (vernacular for old, age-hardened race tires), is that they're a lot more tolerant of abuse.

Fresh race tires with a new driver can result in some very rapid depletion of bank accounts. Think "flat spots"... 'nuf said...

-Josh
Trekkor
These were just 200TW street tires.

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 26 2012, 07:55 AM) *

agree.gif
I'm guilty of that sort of stupidity.

One has to resist the urge to try to "improve" the car after the first AX. Trust me on that one, the car is not the problem and neither are your old tires.

There is much to learn about driving using a stock car with little HP and street tires.
driving.gif
Woody
QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 26 2012, 09:55 AM) *

One advantage of running on rocks (vernacular for old, age-hardened race tires), is that they're a lot more tolerant of abuse.

Fresh race tires with a new driver can result in some very rapid depletion of bank accounts. Think "flat spots"... 'nuf said...

-Josh

Yeah I killed my right front a couple weekends ago. Car seems to like locking that one first. I think the course had a bunch to do with it but I may also have a sticking caliper. It'll be fixed before I order my A6s next month.
Trekkor
I never did ask mark what tire pressure he was running.

We should have marked the sidewalls and made some quick adjustments.
Looking at the tire yesterday, I'd say they were over inflated, as there is no evidence of sidewall rollover.

All these little things add up.

KT
Randal
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Nov 26 2012, 11:25 AM) *

I never did ask mark what tire pressure he was running.

We should have marked the sidewalls and made some quick adjustments.
Looking at the tire yesterday, I'd say they were over inflated, as there is no evidence of sidewall rollover.

All these little things add up.

KT

Might be a good time to publish a list of "to do" items for your students. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Mark knows about tire pressure adjustments. I would wonder what tire pressure he started with though. With my A6 tires he made adjustments without my having to tell him. But my A6 run a lot less pressure than he should be running with his ancient non-R tires.
McMark
I thought about adjusting the tire pressure, but decided against it just because I didn't feel like I had enough experience in my car to really feel those differences.

I hope in 2013 I can shake my autocross curse, where whatever autocross I show up to ends up having less runs per car than usual. Hasn't failed yet. dry.gif

I also need to get to more events with Randal, Rob, Trekkor, etc and actually have ya'll ride along.
Eric_Shea
I hope in 2013 I can shake my autocross curse

We're just hoping you get the oversteer/understeer thing figgered out! biggrin.gif
J P Stein
I found it impossible to "flat spot" a tire at AX speeds. The worst I ever saw was a slight scuff on the tread. (slicks).
jhadler
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 26 2012, 09:58 PM) *

I found it impossible to "flat spot" a tire at AX speeds. The worst I ever saw was a slight scuff on the tread. (slicks).

Seriously? Now granted, I always ran DOT R tires, not slicks, but I have flat spotted more than my share of tires over the years. The two that still stick in my mind though are when an innexperienced corner worker ran out iacross the course as I was coming down into the turn. Didn't know which way he'd go, so I just stood on the brakes. Whoosh! Two brand new Hoosiers up in smoke...

-Josh
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 26 2012, 08:58 PM) *

Used to flat spot the 205 Hoosiers, especially as they got on the back side of their life cycle, until I changed the pads in front to the cheapest set I could find. Problem solved.

Sure wouldn't want to flat spot the Avon's. icon8.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 27 2012, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 26 2012, 08:58 PM) *

Used to flat spot the 205 Hoosiers, especially as they got on the back side of their life cycle, until I changed the pads in front to the cheapest set I could find. Problem solved.

Sure wouldn't want to flat spot the Avon's. icon8.gif

I agree with JP....I think you guys need to get off the brakes!... laugh.gif stirthepot.gif

smile.gif
J P Stein
A true flat spot will cause:
a)Vibration
b) and/or repeated lock in the same spot while on the binders.
Anything else is just a scuff.

I suppose that one could flat spot a narrow tire with a heavy car.
Fortunately, I never used either. biggrin.gif

Then again maybe we was goin' too slow.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 26 2012, 08:38 PM) *

We're just hoping you get the oversteer/understeer thing figgered out! biggrin.gif

Just so we are all clear, here is a graphic demonstration of oversteer. Understeer can happen too but it is far more painful and not usually accompanied by a loud yell of 'Yee Haw'.
Woody
av-943.gif
Woody
Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 27 2012, 11:46 AM) *

Just so we are all clear, here is a graphic demonstration of oversteer. Understeer can happen too but it is far more painful and not usually accompanied by a loud yell of 'Yee Haw'.

Don't show understeer, otherwise the administration will likely delete your post! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 27 2012, 05:20 PM) *

Don't show understeer, otherwise the administration will likely delete your post! biggrin.gif

Yup. Found the 'understeer' picture. Kind of bloody! sad.gif
Woody
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 27 2012, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 27 2012, 05:20 PM) *

Yup. Found the 'understeer' picture. Kind of bloody! sad.gif

More appropriate for the sandbox. icon8.gif
ConeDodger
Any time now McMark is going to see that Dukes of Hazard post and I'm going to get another demeaning look... sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Mark's busy. I'll fill in...

dry.gif
Woody
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 28 2012, 10:45 AM) *

Mark's busy. I'll fill in...

dry.gif

bye1.gif
McMark
 WTF is Rob posting about now? 

av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 28 2012, 03:05 PM) *

WTF is Rob posting about now? 

av-943.gif

sad.gif
grantsfo
More neg camber up front, full tank of gas will get rid of understeer in most stockish 914s. And respect for mid engine handling dynamics is always helpful.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 30 2012, 01:26 PM) *

More neg camber up front, full tank of gas will get rid of understeer in most stockish 914s. And respect for mid engine handling dynamics is always helpful.

Grant, I sent Mark settings for his car. He should be good to go...
Trekkor
Share the settings!!

KT
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Nov 30 2012, 08:41 PM) *

Share the settings!!

KT

Noooooooo! evilgrin.gif
Woody
My setup before the rear coil overs. If I remember correctly I have -2.2 degrees camber and the toe straight ahead now on the rears.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 1 2012, 03:59 AM) *

My setup before the rear coil overs. If I remember correctly I have -2.2 degrees camber and the toe straight ahead now on the rears.

What were your left side/ right side front and rear weights? And assuming these weights will be with you in the car.

Mine wieights worked out to 56%rear / 44% front. That worked out to a ratio of 1.296 which I then used to figure out what sized rears I wanted to run if I was running X sized fronts. You can get it so close that the pounds of weight per inch of tire is exactly the same in the front as in the rear. biggrin.gif
Woody

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 1 2012, 02:50 PM) *

If I did my arithmetic right we are at the same ratio. Interesting. You about 83lbs heaver.

So if you were running 8 inch slicks in front the ideal rear tire would be 10.4".

The idea being that an 8" slick will get up to operating temperature more quickly and have better grip.

Of course I didn't have the fortitude to practice what I preach and ended up using 8.7 fronts and 10.5 inch rears. biggrin.gif
Woody
My car still has glass, a roof, and impact beam doors. I'm actually a few pounds underweight for my class although I'm gonna keep lightening it. I'll have to look up the specs for the A6s again but there is only an inch difference between the fronts and rears. It's going to be a fun year.
Woody
Tread width is 9" front and 10.1 rear.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 1 2012, 05:36 PM) *

Tread width is 9" front and 10.1 rear.

That'll work.
I ran 9.5s & 10s with more rear weight bias...IIRC, I had about 660lbs up front & 1060lbs rear. Course ya still gotta set up the suspension to suit.
ww914
This has been a very interesting read. Thanks Mark for starting this conversation. I am in about the same situation as Mark and would like to know more about Trekkor's AX training. Will it be posted on 914 World?

Thanks, Warren
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.