Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do I Disassemble the E-Brake Tubes ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cary
How do I take this apart without destroying the tubes?

Click to view attachment

Just cut around it when I removed the inner firewall.

Eric_Shea
Remove the spring and put another tub around it. wink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 18 2012, 07:08 PM) *

Remove the spring and put another tub around it. wink.gif

dry.gif

av-943.gif
cary
That's kind of what I was thinking.

Can I melt the brazing with a torch?
Uncharted territory for me.
scotty b
QUOTE(cary @ Nov 18 2012, 07:30 PM) *

I don't think a mapp gas will do it. You're going to need an oxy acetylene setup, but yes you need to melt off the brass.
cary
I'll try my oxy/mapp. If its a no go. I'll have the welding/steel shop do it for me. Thanks ...................
I need another sheet of 18 gauge.
McMark
Die grinder with a carbide cutter.
cary
I do have one of those. smile.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 18 2012, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Nov 18 2012, 07:30 PM) *

I don't think a mapp gas will do it. You're going to need an oxy acetylene setup, but yes you need to melt off the brass.

I can confirm that MAPP gas won't do it. It gets on the verge of melting, almost like tar, but not enough to actually melt. I learned this the hard way. headbang.gif Either cut it out, grind it out or find someone with an oxy setup.

-George
FourBlades

I cut a square around the inside panel and the outside panel with both tubes in it
and took the whole thing out as unit.

After fixing both sides of the firewall, I just welded both sides back.

If what you have left is saveable this might be easier.

Then you are just welding steel.

John
cary
Oxy/Mapp torch took care of the brazing.
Gudhjem
Resurrecting old thread because it's the closest thing to an answer I could found.

I need to remove the E-brake tubes - the ones that are brazed through the firewall. The inner (passenger) firewall is rusted around the tubes, so I'll be cutting what's left of the wall out and grinding off the metal and brazing. I have the replacement panel that the tubes will then go back through, and probably get re-brazed.

But for the engine side of the firewall, it would be nice to leave the holes intact, and just pull the tubes through, but it sounds like un-brazing the tubes to do that is more difficult that just cutting out the firewall around them and re-welding it back in, especially without an oxy-acetylene setup.

What if I used this as an excuse to get an OA setup? Is it still easier just to cut and re-weld? I've never brazed, so not sure what's involved in getting a good joint. Any insights?
cary
I now have a small OA setup so I'm going to learn.

I'm fairly efficient at electrical and copper pipe soldering so it shouldn't be too hard.
Luke M
Just ran across this. I'm going to be doing the same thing here soon on my brothers car. We will be replacing the lower firewall inside and out. My plan is to copy the tubes in mild steel or stainless. Welding the tubes in can be done if you're careful and have the welder setup properly. I also have to tackle the clutch tube coming out the lower engine side. That maybe tricky to weld as the metal is old and do not want weld slag in the clutch tube. Brazing the tubes may also be the only option to doing this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.