Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HID headlight kit for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bluhun
Does anyone have experience with these HID conversion kits?

http://www.hidkitsxenonlights.com/porsche-...eadlights-bulbs
wildman
Those look to just be bulbs. 914s use 7 inch round sealed beam headlights from the factory so using replaceable bulbs requires the purchase of different housings. What i did was buy nice e-code bosch h4 headlight housings and a cheap h4 HID kit from ebay. They have worked alright on my daily driver for a while now.
bluhun
QUOTE(bluhun @ Nov 18 2012, 08:31 PM) *

Were the wire lengths in the kit long enough for the installation? How long did the installation require?

Thanks,

Tom
phillstek
I'm running them for the headlights and driving lights. Had them done as part of the re-wire of the whole car. I just used the original housings. Have not had the opportunity to use them yet as the car is not registered but testing them in the driveway shows them to be exceedingly bright.
helios
If you do go through with them, please at least upgrade to E-code headlamps (still not ideal, but really the only stockish looking option). The euro pattern has a finite light beam cutoff. Running HIDs in standard DOT housings scatters so much light that you end up blinding oncoming drivers.

I get so fed up with the import boys and wannabe hillbillies in their $40k jacked up trucks running around with the HID kits in DOT lenses. The issue gets compounded up in the PNW with all the rain in the wintertime. The glare is horrible. mad.gif

Another note, you want to make sure you get a bi-xenon kit...other wise you will lose you high beams.

To date, the best lighting system I've had on a car was the relayed halogen setup I had on my '89 VW GLi. Converted to quad round grille. E-code hi/low with center driving lights tied into the high beam switch. Both sets of lights running Silverstars.
Cap'n Krusty
As I was the only person to respond to your question on the Club site, I'll repeat my post here:

HID lighting is a system, not a bunch of parts. HID fixtures have lens designs that are suited for the size, shape, and brightness characteristics of the bulbs. You are likely to have poor performance and misdirected light using lenses/housings designed for conventional bulbs. Oh, and they're most likely NOT DOT approved in the configuration/application you're contemplating, which means they're ILLEGAL for use on the road. Keep that in mind.

Others here have posted similar thoughts, less the legal point. It would be wise to think about the "bang for the buck" as well as the likelihood of annoying dispersion issues.

The Cap'n
bluhun
QUOTE(helios @ Nov 19 2012, 01:24 PM) *

If you do go through with them, please at least upgrade to E-code headlamps (still not ideal, but really the only stockish looking option). The euro pattern has a finite light beam cutoff. Running HIDs in standard DOT housings scatters so much light that you end up blinding oncoming drivers.

I get so fed up with the import boys and wannabe hillbillies in their $40k jacked up trucks running around with the HID kits in DOT lenses. The issue gets compounded up in the PNW with all the rain in the wintertime. The glare is horrible. mad.gif

Another note, you want to make sure you get a bi-xenon kit...other wise you will lose you high beams.

To date, the best lighting system I've had on a car was the relayed halogen setup I had on my '89 VW GLi. Converted to quad round grille. E-code hi/low with center driving lights tied into the high beam switch. Both sets of lights running Silverstars.

Thanks for the input. I wouldn't want to be confused with a "wannabe hillbilly!" I have the Hella HB2 headlamps with the light cutoffs.
bluhun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 19 2012, 01:46 PM) *

As I was the only person to respond to your question on the Club site, I'll repeat my post here:

HID lighting is a system, not a bunch of parts. HID fixtures have lens designs that are suited for the size, shape, and brightness characteristics of the bulbs. You are likely to have poor performance and misdirected light using lenses/housings designed for conventional bulbs. Oh, and they're most likely NOT DOT approved in the configuration/application you're contemplating, which means they're ILLEGAL for use on the road. Keep that in mind.

Others here have posted similar thoughts, less the legal point. It would be wise to think about the "bang for the buck" as well as the likelihood of annoying dispersion issues.

The Cap'n

Thanks for your input Cap'n.
Retread
QUOTE(bluhun @ Nov 19 2012, 04:31 AM) *

Best "stock" looking solutions I found were Hella H-4 Assemblies. 7-inch round with flat face is available from Susquhana Motorsports. A variety of H-4 bulbs in Halogen and better techologies is available there. HellaH-4's with rounded fronts are available from Rover's North (on the web).

I put the flat face on my PCA stock 914/4 2.0 for night races with 65/100 bulbs. I believe these will work with the later technology bulbs that they offer in H-4 bulb formats.

If you want LED conversion bulbs, and proper flasers to go with same, go to:

superbriteleds.com

I have a lot of instrumentation, and I used red LED's for illumination, blue for blue indicators, red for fuel reserve, and green for green indicators.

DO NOT USE AN LED FOR THE GEN (alternator) INDICATOR. THE RESISTANCE OF AN INCANDECANT BULB IS REQUIRED FOR PROPER SEED CURRENT FEED TO THE ALTERNATUM.
gandalf_025
I have a set of these {low beam only} in the wife's DD 1999 A4.
The car has projector type low beams and the glare and blinding
oncoming drivers seems not to be as much of an issue with them.
I did have them adjusted at an Inspection Station to lessen the
impact on oncoming cars.
She has no real need of High Beams when using these.

Yes, they are technically illegal.. and VERY obvious if you put them
in a make of car that didn't offer them as a Factory Option.
Like a lot of Honda's around here.

I have had them in that car for almost 2 years..

A few observations..

If you are going to buy a set, Buy 2 at the same time.
You will need bulbs and replacement ballasts in the future,
it is best to have them handy.
Running a questionable car with one light out with these is
a sure way to draw the cops.
I have replaced 1 bulb and 1 ballast so far and getting in contact
with the seller for a quick turn around for replacements was an issue.
I keep at least 1 spare bulb and ballast now.
When it comes time for an Inspection Sticker, which is
once a year here. I put the regular bulbs back in just to
simplify the process. Takes a few minutes to do it.

I wouldn't put them in a 914..
A 1970's era car would be far too obvious for me to risk it.
A set of halogen 100/135 H4 bulbs with relays would do the job nicely..
and keep you under the radar or the cops a lot better.

Just an opinion...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.