Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Know of a Viton Gasket Source?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
I need to replace the two lower fuel tank outlet and inlet gaskets and I've read that Viton seems to work best for today's fuels. When I run searches for Viton gaskets, all I seem to find is bulk suppliers that want to know how many hundred I need.

Does anyone have a source for these gaskets that sell single gaskets for this application?

Thanks,

John
ChrisFoley
I have some strainer gaskets.
underthetire
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-fitting-gaskets/=k8xx73
helios
We've ordered custom viton gaskets at the refinery I work at through the Bellingham Lamons facility. You can try contacting the nearest branch. Whether or not they sell to the private sector...I do not know.

Lamons locations
Nozzle
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 20 2012, 12:58 PM) *

Thanks for the link Jeff. That's the first site I've seen that will sell individual gaskets. Looks like the smallest size they sell is too big for the fuel tank applications which are 8mm ID for the return and 10mm ID for the supply fittings. Sounds like I may have to go with the standard copper washers from AA if they don't make the Viton in smaller sizes.
scott_in_nh
viton cuts easily - I made my own fuel tank gaskets from a small sheet of viton I procured from an engineer at work.
LotusJoe
You can buy a bulk sheet.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-viton-fl...gaskets/=k8z0xm

Oops, I just saw the price confused24.gif a bit much for just making a couple gaskets.
Mikey914
I can do this. And in some quantity these can be cost effective.
-Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(Nozzle @ Nov 20 2012, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 20 2012, 12:58 PM) *

Thanks for the link Jeff. That's the first site I've seen that will sell individual gaskets. Looks like the smallest size they sell is too big for the fuel tank applications which are 8mm ID for the return and 10mm ID for the supply fittings. Sounds like I may have to go with the standard copper washers from AA if they don't make the Viton in smaller sizes.

What thickness? 1/8"?
Cap'n Krusty
"Standard copper gaskets"? IIRC, they're fiber, not copper. Viton would crush, squeezing out and the connection would likely have a tendency to loosen over time. It needs a defined space to function properly.

The Cap'n
TheCabinetmaker
Yes on the fiber washer. They are available at the bughaus.com for a few bucks each and work great. Just like the stock. Eric is a good guy and carries a lot of type 4 stuff.
TheCabinetmaker
Oh yeah, he carries the strainer sock too.
Nozzle
Thanks for the replies folks. Does anyone know if the fiber parts have problems with current fuel blends? I thought that was the idea behind the new Viton parts.
Cap'n Krusty
Fiber don' care ........................

The Cap'n
Mikey914
I had head that the OEM material was not as tollerent to ethanol. I'm doing some reasearch to see if they can be made inexpensively out of a more modern material, and at what cost. But only if the OEM ones are a problem. But from what I have heard here that may not be necessary.
Mikey914
I have aquired 3 diferent grades of Viton and I'm conducting some testing to see how the material perform. Standard gas and E85. I'm interested as to how these will perform.
euro911
I've just been VERY careful when dealing with the original ones. Interested in the outcome ... popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.