Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So..What doe's a 6 feel like?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
oldschool
So after the Kid put in my 2.0 in my car. And now that I have had a few day's to drive it, All I can say is WOW what a blast.......smooth power from the DFI, and big smiles from 2 to 3 talk about passing power.
So the question is this.....How much more fun is a six drooley.gif
JoeSharp
If you drive one you'll be sorry......
Eric_Shea
Much... biggrin.gif

Come on up I-15 and well go for a romp.
balljoint
Yeah, go for a romp with Erc. mellow.gif

And then get your picture taken with him. biggrin.gif

Nevermind, Mike can 'prolly hook you up there way ahead of time.
carr914
A Romp & Pictures with Erc, then throw a -6 Ride - I don't that is a Road you want to follow
oldschool
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Nov 22 2012, 08:58 AM) *

If you drive one you'll be sorry......

That's what I'm saying...... idea.gif
So are you saying thisClick to view attachment+This
= smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
A stock 2.0 4 is more fun than a stock 2.0 6 IMO. But the sound of triple webers sucking air and that 6 exhaust note is addicting. Now if you're talking about a larger 6, then, that's another story entirely. You'll have to try it. driving.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 22 2012, 09:23 AM) *

A stock 2.0 4 is more fun than a stock 2.0 6 IMO. But the sound of triple webers sucking air is addicting. Now if you're talking about a larger 6, then, that's another story entirely. You'll have to try it.

So what's a good size.
sixnotfour
my 2.4S powered -6 was faster than a 1970 LT1 camaro in the 80's

These Days a 3.2 is a no brainer, check out how good its makes Mike Wills Feel....every time I see- hear-or talk- to him. MY 3.2 blablabla...
VaccaRabite
A stock 2.0 is a fun car. A 2056 is a little more fun for a little more cost.

Drive a functional 6 and you will not want a little motor anymore. Suddenly your in for 15k for the conversion unless you really scrimp and search. After going out in Josh's 2.7 I spent several months talking myself down from trying to make a 6 work for me.

It's danger. I'm avoiding it.
GeorgeRud
A -6 is addictive. A big -6 is automotive crack! Be careful about getting on this drug as there is no cure or support group to help control the addiction.

I love my 2.7 Weber carbureted -6, but a Motronic 3.2 would be a wonderful choice these days.
ConeDodger
I have owned a 2.7L six and I of course own a 2432 Raby motor four. The 4 is just as fast as the six but I worry about durability as compared to any six.

I am pretty sure I was the first person to ride in Paul Sayegh's 3.6 liter six. At the time it was only running on 6 of it's twin plugs but he/we didn't know that. Paul idled out of his neighborhood, top off, beautiful warm Northern California night. His heated GTS seats were just heaven. I wondered if he was going to go any faster with it or if we were just out for a baby-it cruise. Then we turned on to the County Road. All I can say is holy-shit! A few months later, we were at a BBQ at Michael's (PorscheCB) house. Paul was there and he gave a few rides. Yopu wanted to go for a ride but she can be shy so I asked Paul for her. She seldom 'intervenes' in any decision I make on any of my cars but she said "You have to put that motor in your 914!"
oldschool
Cool...I need to go for a ride.... idea.gif I do have a extra ...914 sitting shades.gif
sixnotfour
once you had a six you wont go back.
my first 914----------------------6
mepstein
I had a hot 2.0-4. I drove a 3.2- 6. Took 3 minutes to decide I needed a 6. Don't think you can do it for under $12K and you won't be sorry.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 22 2012, 10:23 AM) *

A stock 2.0 4 is more fun than a stock 2.0 6 IMO.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. wink.gif

Winding out a stock 2.0 six to redline will net results no stock 2.0 4 can imitate. driving.gif
SLITS
2.7L CIS ..... power sliding on asphalt ..... not the fastest; not the slowest .....nuff said
Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 22 2012, 11:22 AM) *

Winding out a stock 2.0 six to redline will net results no stock 2.0 4 can imitate. driving.gif

Key words are "...winding out..." with a stock 4 2.0 vs. stock 6 2.0, since the 6 doesn't find it's 110 HP & full TQ until well up in the RPM range.

Whereas the 2L-4 has it's TQ low from the mid-2000's, & full 95 HP at much lower RPM, & has a wider max TQ band 2k to redline.

On the open road - 6 no doubt has the edge, but the 2.0 4 (73-74 MY) was nearly as peppy overall, and IMHO better in around town as a DD, which was how I used mine for a decade 75-85 (before she got whacked & rested in my garage thereafter).

The built 4s like FAT & Raby etc. do can get about as much HP as the old 2L 6 block built can get or 2.4 & maybe 2.7 versions, but with 200+/- lbs less weight - although as Rob said - there is the durability question.

I'd love to eventually drop a late waterboxer Boxster/Cayman or 911 H6 into our 88 Westy - to keep it in the same German "family tree" at least, with the expected brake, suspension, cooling, etc. upgrades! happy11.gif
... but don't know if good ole CA will allow it for smog, etc., as they do with Subie conversions.

Otherwise it's a GoWesty 2.5L H4 - which may have the same durability question. confused24.gif
oldschool
I think I can...I have high friends beerchug.gif in low places. sawzall-smiley.gif av-943.gif Click to view attachment av-943.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 22 2012, 10:39 AM) *

2.7L CIS ..... power sliding on asphalt ..... not the fastest; not the slowest .....nuff said

Ron let me know when I can swing by with that 2.7 blink.gif
sixnotfour

Winding out a stock 2.0 six to redline will net results no stock 2.0 4 can imitate.

I hope thats in responce to our drive around Monterey RR4.

ya shifting at 8500 can be spendy...not yet though happy11.gif
Trekkor
I did my conversion for $4k.

$6-8k would be simple.

If you are talking about a freshly rebuilt motor and new PMO's then , yes you'll spend well over $10k.

I've ridden/driven in just about every possible 914 configuration.

I'm not going to say what I think is best.
I'll just say, do what you think will make you happy.

KT
Gint
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 22 2012, 11:22 AM) *

BTDT. I think I know who's wrong. smile.gif The most fun 914 I ever had was the brown turd. 2.0 rebuild with D-Jet. That thing would blast around town all day. TO this day I don't know the specs on the motor (could have been a 2056), but it was a hoot.
Eric_Shea
You are poke.gif
Gint
And it started every time, no wildy fluctuating idle, stinky fumes... just go, go, go. Didn't sound as good as a 6, but that didn't matter too much when I had my foot on the floor. driving.gif burnout.gif That car would have been over the top if it had a triad on it too. Never got the chance to try before I sold it.
Trekkor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ftFOZOFyI...mp;feature=plcp

This will give you some sense of what a 2.6 SIX is like.
Note the acceleration at the beginning and high RPM sequences.

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 22 2012, 08:50 AM) *
So..What doe's a 6 feel like?

happy11.gif
Jeffs9146
All I can say is I love my 3.0L fi 6 and I will never go back to a 4!
JoeSharp
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 22 2012, 09:23 AM) *

Sorry Mike, when is the last time you drove your -6? You can't remember how much fun a six is to drive. I have more fun than that gapping -6s in my bug. Mike Dodgen has been a whitness to this twice. On a run on Ortega and the last Howards Run. I love the way a stock -6 works, I didn't have to soup it up to make it go well.
Gint
I've always preferred a 4 over a 6. Even as I was driving my six. I find the fours more driveable and the car feels lighter. To each his own.
carr914
I'll offer up my O;

1:You just finished a Phase of your car's life - enjoy it! driving.gif

2:If you want to convert it to a -6, it will set you back $20k & 3 Years of your Life

3: If you have to have a -6, Buy someone else's Car & save the Time and Money

4: Buy a 78-86 911 for Cheap ( you would be Amazed! - anybody have some Investment Money?) Much Cheaper than most Teeners & they will run forever. Then you can have the 914 2.0 & a 6 Cylinder "Miami Vice" car at the same time. 90+% of the Time the 911 will Start right up

OK, tie me to stake and Burn me like Thanksgiving Turkey!
Michael N
I have driven them back to back a 2.0 four and a 2.4S six as my wife has a LE. The 4 is comfortable and quiet but the six really goes. If I had to get rid of one the 4 would be gone first. The six has been driven hard for 35+ years without a rebuild and is still putting out 141hp at the wheels. It will be tough to ever part with the six.

So to answer the question what does a six feel like? If feels like you are driving a car that was developed 20 years ahead of its time and has the power to still scare you if you are not careful. Just like the Cayman today, the car deserved the power back in the day but was held back so that it would not eclipse the 911.
pcar916
I bought this car as a very good unfinished 2.7L conversion. It was driveable and the front-end was already converted but the rear wasn't. It did come with a spare 2.0L six engine (which I traded for a couple of 915 tranaxles) 914-6 stub axles and a butt-load of other stuff I had to take with the car.

I grew accustomed to the exhaust note...

Three years later I had a chance to buy a 3.6L engine from a very good friend who fell in love with my truly outstanding 2.7L. He didn't want to run GT-2 and had this 3.6L engine in his garage about to be inserted into his 1975 911 track car. I traded him some cash and my 2.7 for his 3.6 and we never looked back.

Two years later (I was traveling a lot and there weren't many folks to consult with about that conversion in 1998). I made a few mistakes but not too many.

Within an hour I knew I could handle 100 more hp and the associated torque... want it!

That said there are only a few more points to note. The two critical aspects of a machine that I consider interesting are power and handling.

Handling, the crux of the matter:
One of the most outstanding 914's I ever drove is a friend's 1973 2L 4-cylinder euro-spec car. Very light it is and a delight to flick around. Power is great in that car, but it's suspension is what makes it such a wonderful thing to drive. Absolutely superb.

Power:
If you can modulate it there can't be too much. "Smooth" will save both you and the machine.

That car and mine are two completely different experiences with so many handling traits in common it's effortless to jump from one to the other.

Let's say my 3.6 has 270/250 hp/torque. As long as my suspension and driving skills can keep up with the powertrain... I'm a happy dude. Tickled in fact.

... need more power though. beerchug.gif
MDG
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 22 2012, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 22 2012, 10:39 AM) *

Ron let me know when I can swing by with that 2.7 blink.gif

YES! Stick with SLITS. thumb3d.gif

Erc is NOT the way you want to go . . . .

Click to view attachment

And for me 3.2 or 3.6 with stock injection.

oldschool
av-943.gif ...man that there is just funny
I have both..The "6" sound is amazing.. behind your back,who needs a stereo..The "4" sounds less refined..
oldschool
Thanks for all your response ....I can hardly wait to drive a 6. My white car will stay a 2.0 ( I'm the 2 owner) ...So...
bcheney
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 22 2012, 06:43 PM) *

I'll offer up my O;

1:You just finished a Phase of your car's life - enjoy it! driving.gif

2:If you want to convert it to a -6, it will set you back $20k & 3 Years of your Life

3: If you have to have a -6, Buy someone else's Car & save the Time and Money

4: Buy a 78-86 911 for Cheap ( you would be Amazed! - anybody have some Investment Money?) Much Cheaper than most Teeners & they will run forever. Then you can have the 914 2.0 & a 6 Cylinder "Miami Vice" car at the same time. 90+% of the Time the 911 will Start right up

OK, tie me to stake and Burn me like Thanksgiving Turkey!

I agree with TC. Buy one complete and enjoy it. Here are two links to my car which is a 2.2 six with E-Cams....the sound is intoxicating!!!

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1..._id=ifA9YqVVHCs

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1..._id=awtaTBptpwY
sixnotfour
Or I know of a 75 911S, new paint ,no rust. new tires,new struts new cltch good interrior,will need 1st 2nd synros someday,Rebuilt engine , I did , pulled studs. All case mods done.
My friend wants it gone,,,presently in San Fran
I bought it from the origonal owner, and sold it to my friend.
7k cash, Chicks Will Dig You...or part it out and repower your 914
sixnotfour
Just to be Fair;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_mDJNZOe9Y
oldschool
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 22 2012, 09:40 PM) *

Thanks again man...I have a 1975 911S with a 2.7...
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 23 2012, 12:23 AM) *

Chicks Will Dig You...when you repower your 914

first.gif
Bleyseng
A 2.0L 914 is fun..
A stock 2.0L six is funner...
A 2056 w/raby cam, Djet, close ration gears and upgraded suspension is another animal
A 3.2 six is crazy

its really what you can afford.
rfuerst911sc
My GT clone has a stock 3.0 big port SC motor with 40mm Webers, headers and a sport muffler. Far from being a fire breathing beast my guess is 200-210 hp with good torque. Stock 901 transmission with original gearing. Has 16 " Fuchs with a complete rebuild of the suspension with all the " good stuff " biggrin.gif . This is the first 914 I have ever been in so I don't have anything to compare to other than previous and current 911's. She is basically a slot car with great power through out the entire rev range, I can slide the rear almost anytime I want which is fun. Drive with a careful throttle foot and she is very fast. And the sound.......oh that sound ! It is a symphony of mechanical noises just a foot behind your head . I easily have 30k in my car but this was going to be the last car project I was going to undertake so it was the hell with the budget. I'll probably never recover my investment but could care less, the car is pure therapy for what ails you ! biggrin.gif
jfort
I have a 2.5 with E cams an sport exhaust. As someone said earlier, the sound is intoxicating and I used to have a 73 911S. Of course the teener handles better and I think it is just as quick although the top speed is not as great. Had one of the last warm days yesterday. Such a blast to go out into the countryside and get on it. Hate putting it away for the winter.
Jgilliam914
I drove a 2.2 E in a 6 several years ago and the power was as different as night and day from my 2.0 4. The 4 was fine if you have very little to no expierience with a 6. It is like what you do not know won't impress you. It has made a lasting impression on me that hasn't waned. I am hoping to get a 6 installed in my car sometime within the next year.
'73-914kid
It feels like an empty wallet don Jaime.... Enjoy the 2.0L as it sits and put that motor back in the 911. Your 914 with the 2.0 is a great original car with the stock 2.0l in it. A 6 puts you in a whole nother category..

And i aint doin a 6 conversion in that car...haha
patssle
I'v never ridden or driven a /6 yet I'm doing the 3.0L conversion. I just knew I had to do something about my 70hp bus motor. I did test drive a 2056 and wasn't impressed, so I knew I needed more power than that.
GeorgeRud
Though I've had -6s for years, my first 914 was a 914 2.0 bought new in 1974. It was my daily driver and was auto crossed just about every weekend. It was a great car and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Sold it to buy a -6 that came out of a barn in southern Illinois in 1977, which I still own.

Years later, I was able to buy another 914 1.7 that had been in storage for years. I got it running with the idea that I could once again use it as a daily driver. However, after having the -6 for so many years ( and a couple of 911s in the interim), the original -4 just didn't do it for me anymore. On the other side of the coin, a good friend has had and loves his 1.8 for over 25 years and drives it whenever he wants to enjoy the drive.

It comes down to whatever floats your boat!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.