Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VR6 in 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Evil914
I found a hellava deal on a Passat with a VR6 and manual trans., 49 thousand one owner miles,all the VW dealership maint. papers in glove box.$300 It's about two foot shorter on the rear of the car due to getting plowed by a very large oilfield truck but the rest of the car is very nice. Anybody stick a VR6 in a 914? I thought I saw a 914 with a Passat trans. on here but I might have drank too much Kulmbacher beer3.gif
Gint
There's a member here that started one. IIRC lol Or was that a G60...
Trekkor
I'm interested in the VW rear brake calipers.

KT
Mike Bellis
Go for it! I'm doing a 1.8t swap from a Passat. Mine will be around 300hp...
Chris H.
Mueller commented several times that the engine was VERY tall. Basically designed for a space the opposite of what we have (narrow, taller space instead of wider). You could make it work though. At $300 you just can't lose on that deal! Go for it! I'm sure the rest of the carcass is worth more than the asking price anyway.
rohar
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 29 2012, 06:10 AM) *

Mueller commented several times that the engine was VERY tall. Basically designed for a space the opposite of what we have (narrow, taller space instead of wider). You could make it work though. At $300 you just can't lose on that deal! Go for it! I'm sure the rest of the carcass is worth more than the asking price anyway.

There's a 911 VR6 conversion underway. I've been talking with the builder a bit. As you can imagine, the tallness is a bigger problem there. It just barely fits IF you use the Vanagon thermostat housing.

I'd also suggest a different tranny. Either step up to a bigger porsche unit or go for the audi conversion. Bellhousing adapters are available from Kennedy an 034. Once you step into VR6 land and get it sorted, the next thought that eventually goes through your head is "damn, turbos are relatively easy and cheap for these things".
rohar
Oh, and I forgot, you're gonna need the valve cover from a MK4 VR6..12 valve. The PCV valve is gonna get in the way with any others.
rohar
Wait a second, hold the phone! I just re-read the OP. 49k miles.

The passat hasn't had a VR6 since 1995. Unless this thing was kept in a time capsule, I'm guessing it's a longitudinal V6 with an 012 tranny. If it is, it's a damned good donor. All the info for the audi swaps a bunch of us have done applies. Just drag over the engine/tranny and whatever electronics are neccessary to make it go. Since you've got the whole donor car, this reduces the parts hunting dramatically.

Oh, and there's plenty of space for the VW/Audi longitudinal V6.
tomeric914
The common theme appears to be that none of the VR6 conversions were ever finished.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 2 2012, 05:48 PM) *

The common theme appears to be that none of the VR6 conversions were ever finished.

sad.gif
matthepcat
Well the coolest thing about a VR6 is the sound it makes, other than that there are much better platforms. I don't blame people for giving up.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Evil914 @ Nov 28 2012, 08:55 PM) *

I found a hellava deal on a Passat with a VR6 and manual trans., 49 thousand one owner miles,all the VW dealership maint. papers in glove box.$300 It's about two foot shorter on the rear of the car due to getting plowed by a very large oilfield truck but the rest of the car is very nice. Anybody stick a VR6 in a 914? I thought I saw a 914 with a Passat trans. on here but I might have drank too much Kulmbacher beer3.gif

What year is the donor vehicle? Newer than 1996 and it's not a VR6. Newer than 2002 and you'll have major immobilizer issues and you'll have to transplant the instrument cluster, and possibly the steering column.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.